Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reawakening!

Hey ho Kimbo..
Spot any bottom feeders in forum recently ole pal? :p

The weather liars are wrong again. I could do these forecasts from my garden peeping out of the window in the spare room. Covers off, I'm going out, parp parp!!

Couldn't agree with you more Highway. I think they may have had a 'Michael Fish' moment. I decided not to awake mine yesterday from its winter slumber after reading the forecast. Regretting it now. Enjoy the hoon. :?

highway said:
The weather liars are wrong again. I could do these forecasts from my garden peeping out of the window in the spare room. Covers off, I'm going out, parp parp!!

Don't forget to report on what you think of the MPL slave and short shift kit.

Well, the weather guessers were proved right in the end. I was vaguely traumatised when the heavens opened on my polished, waxed and sealed GW but, pleasingly, it didn't oxidise to a pile of orange dust on the spot.

What a joy to get out in it. Like smooching with an ex you were once keen on or hearing a great record you haven't listened to for an age. The gear change is definitively, hugely, improved with the RS shift. I had three parts fitted at the same time-the RS shift combined with goldenrod and MPL slave. As such it's difficult to pick out which part plays the starring role in improving the process of changing gear.

The clutch action is significantly lighter though, to be fair, I didn't notice its presence other than when sat in traffic. I'm choosing to tell myself that my gear changes are even more mercurial and lightening quick if only as result of the reduced foot pressure required. The gear change itself, never quoted as a weak link on a 993, now feels more satisfyingly mechanical. Like Theresa May during PM questions. It's now far closer to the change on an S2000 or MX5 which are the best gear changes I've ever experienced on a car.

For the first time since driving an MX5 I found myself changing gear not to go faster nor to anticipate a bend, rather just to enjoy the shift action itself. It's night versus day better than the standard shift. I'd suggest everyone with a manual 993 really owes it to themselves to get this (these?)modification/s. I wish I could explain how much of this action the wonderfully named golden rod is responsible for.

Truth is, I can't reliably explain whether it's the rod or the shift. As such, get them both fitted simultaneously. I just can't see anyone who enjoys driving their 993 NOT to be more chuffed than an Victorian train at the difference these mods make. I really dare you not to like it.

I was also pleased that despite not seeing any action the past 6 months the GW was properly up for it and didn't get stroppy or uncooperative at all.

Roll on Welsh Wales. Hope to see you there.

Lovely mod, great that you noticed and enjoyed such a difference. I don't have the golden rod but do have the RS short shift and shift rod fitted. Would be interesting to compare.

And this :thumb:

highway said:
Roll on Welsh Wales. Hope to see you there.

Sounds like you had fun Steve :thumbs:
Roll on the Welsh hills.

Great to hear that you're enjoying the improvement Steve!
I got fed up telling anyone who would listen what an fantastic mod(s) this is.
You just need the LWF now to complete the process . . .!
:grin:

and Wales is going to be massive!
:thumb:

Some of us listened... 8)

The commoners view is that the RS Shift Rod / FDM Golden Rod makes 9/10ths of the difference.

I suggest some comparative tests be carried out at the JBO... :)

That's s very interesting report Highway, thanks for the detail.
I was wondering if pre installation your gear changes were just a bit sloppier or were they also notchy (particularly when cold)?

No never had a problem and the standard shift isn't woeful. This is just more mechanical feeling and far more in keeping with what you'd think a 993 is all about. Considering there is no need for Macgyver style modifications to the under tray on a C2 it's for me, a no brainer to fit these bits.

:hand: I think there's a risk it could be more placebo effect this golden rod/short shift/MPL slave stuff especially if you're reminiscing over Showaddywaddy :dont know:

Smoke and mirrors :bandit:

....... I can see some very long and dare I say tedious discussions coming up on the "Welsh jolly" ........ I will just sit in a corner with a glass of red wine quietly smiling to myself ....... I hope it is going to be cool enough for a fire ....... well it is North Wales in April so there is a good chance of that ....... :)

If you are really nice I'll let you try mine in Wales. No vapours no glass. Just £25 large deposit.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back