Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

245 40 18 on front of mk2 GT3 996

NLW73

anyone running or have run this size on front of the GT3 996 on 18s?

is it too wide and not worth doing?

would be on the OEM mk2 wheels which are 8.5j I think

just out on interest.

thanks, Nick

I've bought a set of 245 R888R to fit but as of yet not fitted. NXI20 is your man with the answers as I know he's done this.

:thumb:

Stuart said:
I've bought a set of 245 R888R to fit but as of yet not fitted. NXI20 is your man with the answers as I know he's done this.

:thumb:

I know that Nick has been running 245 fronts and 305 rears on 19s for a while, but as far as I was aware the only thing that he used on 18s these days were slicks? I am sure that he will be along to clarify at some point, but do remember that NXI20 has not had anything like stock suspension for a very long time...

I'd have thought that 245f/295r is probably going to shift the balance of grip somewhat (going from 235/305 to 245/305 did), so at least ARB and possibly geo changes might be in order.

Further to that, even on 235s a feisty geo can rub through the arch liners under compression (yep - more tales from my 996 days) unless you have swapped the stock arms out for something more adjustable and had it configured accordingly, so 245s will only accentuate this. All other things being equal I don't think that it would be recommended without a subsequent trip to your geo shop of choice...

:?:

thanks fellas.

you are right about the balance and moving more to the front.

i think I will stick with OEM sizes. I got offered some really good price Michelins in that size but prob not worth and cause more hassles and issues.

I wanted to dial out a little bit of that turn in understeer but will have a fiddle with the camber and geo to sort that out.

nick

I don't usually run 18" wheels on the road, but various circumstances have conspired to leave me with a new set of OZ 18" wheels. As an experiment, I have mounted a set of R888R in standard sizes (235 / 295) on them but have yet to try them out. As Disco says, I run 245 fronts with 305 rears on 19" but I'm not convinced the need for 245 is there with 18".

Just for reference, I run 235/650x18 front slicks & 285/660 x 18 rears & that balance is really nice with a ton of grip at both ends.

If you feel the front is pushing on at turn in, you are probably not trail braking enough to put the weight on the nose.

245 is 245 wether its 18 or 19 though. Sidewall height may increase depending on the profile. Can't see it being a massive balance issue at all on the road. Who doesn't want more front end grip on their 911 :?:

Senoj said:
245 is 245 wether its 18 or 19 though. Sidewall height may increase depending on the profile. Can't see it being a massive balance issue at all on the road. Who doesn't want more front end grip on their 911 :?:

As I said though - depending on geo there is a potential rubbing issue on the arch liners and you can't add more rear contact either (on 19s you can go 295, 305 or 325 at the back, but on 18s the only thing that you can get bigger than a 295 is a Michelin PS2 {GT2 315s, but you also would need wider wheels for that}). Hence stock sizes and geo to suit is IMHO the way to go with the 996.

Disco said:
As I said though - depending on geo there is a potential rubbing issue on the arch liners and you can't add more rear contact either (on 19s you can go 295, 305 or 325 at the back, but on 18s the only thing that you can get bigger than a 295 is a Michelin PS2 {GT2 315s, but you also would need wider wheels for that}). Hence stock sizes and geo to suit is IMHO the way to go with the 996.

305 on 12" rims is as big as you can go on the 996. Even then, with some makes you need to roll the arches to avoid rubbing.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back