Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Interesting IMS video

Leon1davies

Whilst doing some youtube browsing one evening I came across this video series of a chap showing the complete process of removing the transmission to replace his IMS and clutch in his boxster and how it can be done at home.

He finishes the series with a couple of videos talking about the IMS bearing and why it was designed in the way it was. He also has a theory about why cars that are driven regularly and have regular oil changes are much less likely to fail.

It made quite a lot of sense and I found it really interesting so thought i'd share it here

its also a really interesting series for anyone who would consider doing the work themselves so I've linked episode 1 as well

Fascinating, makes a lot of sense. Worth following the first link in his video to the Pedro one, which is a great '101' guide to the bearings and shafts. Second one is interesting too, obvs Pedro has his angle on his DOF.

Rather cuts across the idea of opening the bearing seals.

Certainly my own limited experience of sealed bearings on roadbikes is that oil will happily pass through a seal.

Can someone with better engineering nouse than me explain why a direct oil feed to the IMS is not a good idea, or is snake oil? Seems like a good idea to me, and relatively inexpensive.
:?:

Because pulling the seals is as effective, and is free*

*OK, so you have to get in there first, but that's true of the DOF too

Yet another person with their own "take" on the IMS. If Porsche wanted the bearing to be lubricated by engine oil:
1. Why initially fit grease. Why not fit a direct oil feed right from the start as part of the engine manufacturing process.
2. Why direct that oil change are only required every 2 yrs of 20K miles whichever comes first. Surely they would want "fresh" oil to lubricate at all times. More frequent oil changes would also make OPC's more service revenues.
3. Why not make the IMS bearing a part to be "inspected" or replaced item say after 50K or 10 yrs.
The accepted "wisdom" is that Porsche got it wrong when designing the M96/97 by having an IMS in the first place. Having "fudges" the issue by trying to "fix" it over several years they scrapped the engine in 2009/10.

GARY S said:
Yet another person with their own "take" on the IMS. If Porsche wanted the bearing to be lubricated by engine oil:
1. Why initially fit grease. Why not fit a direct oil feed right from the start as part of the engine manufacturing process.
2. Why direct that oil change are only required every 2 yrs of 20K miles whichever comes first. Surely they would want "fresh" oil to lubricate at all times. More frequent oil changes would also make OPC's more service revenues.
3. Why not make the IMS bearing a part to be "inspected" or replaced item say after 50K or 10 yrs.
The accepted "wisdom" is that Porsche got it wrong when designing the M96/97 by having an IMS in the first place. Having "fudges" the issue by trying to "fix" it over several years they scrapped the engine in 2009/10.

I can answer all that with one line - because they didn't think the grease filled ball bearing would go pop.

As I've said many 'o times to the officers of the law - "seemed like a good idea at the time" :oops:

You are right Alex. Porsche, the "pinnacle of automotive engineering" screwed up and left their customers high & dry. Who knows what lurks in the future with the new turbo engines?

I wouldn't say that. They gave all new owners a brand new engine if it went pop. Doubt the organisation who sold me mine would do that if it blew up.

Do you remember the black & white public information film of the family who fused their home electrics when they had a burst pipe? The comment by the narrator at the end of the clip was "pity you let it happen in the first place". Same applies to Porsche.

They are by far the pinicle of automotive Engineering. Want a good engine, buy a BMW. Want fun - buy a Porsche.

I agree about the fun bit having had a Boxster & 997 Gen 1 from new. Just a shame that I always had a nagging doubt that the fragility of the build & that ultimately spoilt the full enjoyment.

And did anything bad happen?

Traded up from Boxster to 997 after 3 yrs & 8k miles so no time for issues. Had 997 from 2004-16. In 43K miles I had coil packs replaces twice, tandem pump once, air con condensers replaces once, replaces corroded front brake pipes once, exhaust triangle joints & bolds once. Car was always dealer services. The "usual" issues but not what I expected from Porsche.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back