Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Potential daily driver, lots of miles :) (Now Actual Driver)

8,600 miles and nearly 5 months under its belt, the daily driver is doing a grand job.

Rear tyres at 4mm inside, 5mm outside... Front tyres at 6mm. Nearly time for a 10k oil change.

Grip is excellent, had a third gear wheelspin on a slip road which was rather tasty. Car is beyond addictive, no idea what mpg is, the counter stops counting it seems at 100 hours driving.

Rim protection is epic with the tyres, dare i say it, but the alloys are very well protected and still as new.

Stone chips fairing well... ironically the only two chips I've had are bottom corner of the passenger side of the windscreen, and no film nor wax would prevent that! had them both repaired swiftly.

Finding that the phone PCM stuff is neither use nor ornament; never use it. the connect app is good though and use that quite a bit.

Left the car standing for a week for ski trip, sweet jesus the brakes were savage after a week standing, sounded & felt horrific. I had to hit a dual carriageway and do a few high speed brake manoeuvres to get them back to normal.

When the car is dirty, the muck tends to trigger the parking sensors occasionally, they are sensitive little fellas, but no issue.

Am very very happy with the spec I chose. Thank god, as that was tough to decide. Love the dark blue leather interior, and the sapphire blue looks great regardless of weather conditions, satin alloys suit it very well. Rear camera is a godsend, standard seats are oh so perfect. This is such a balanced practical car. Dare i say, there is more than enough power, anything else being top-trumps ;) I'd without question stick with the mere Carrera 2 as my next 911. Sport Chrono and PSE are epic additions. You can't fault the balance of power and efficiency. Front boot is much bigger than i expected.

A couple of questions:
1) Any idea if you can change the setting of what happens when you turn the ignition off; i would prefer that the interior lights turn on and the stereo turns off. Present setting is that they only occur when you open the car door.

2) Any idea on the mpg thing beyond 100 hours? or do you simply reset?

Things I'd change: (first world problems)
- Handbrake switch is deffo the wrong way round.
- Wing mirror glass noticeably attracts water, would either change design or have the heater on constant instead of manually.
- Link the apple car play and PCM functions so they are more synchronised and not one or the other.
- Wish there were a choice of exhaust tip arrangement for the PSE.
- Cup holder is too shallow, and only just holds my morning brew, despite shallow cup.
- Would be nice to be able to see more of the engine when you open the cover...

sound, cheers!

First service booked for next month! 5 months old :D

Had my 10k mile oil service yesterday... reassuringly uneventful. Haven't had any faults or issues at all. Car has been perfect. Was simple oil change and quick check over and that was it. All was well.

Did have one surprise, being how little the consumables are wearing...
- Rear tyres at 4 to 5mm; front tyres at 6mm.
- Brakes hardly worn at all, all disc and pad thicknesses pretty much as-new.

From my RS6 experience of a performance car, I'd be not far off tyres and brakes and a multi-thousand pound bill every 15k'ish. Makes the 911 look a bargain!! (Porsche oil change was cheaper too, as simply less oil needed).

At this tyre rate, i reckon rear's will be due a change around 16k-18k, fronts due a change around 25-30k. Wasn't expecting them to last as long as that, although i expect wear rate will increase in dryer months.

Whilst my car was in at the Porsche Garage, I had them do the paintless dent removal for the small car park rash that i had picked up on the OSR wheel arch. Incredible result, can't see a thing, back to new... £90 bargain!

Fuel consumption averaging 28mpg, could be much higher with a lighter foot, I reckon if you were more saintly, you'd be well into the 30's.

Proving to be a cheaper daily runner than i'd forecast... so far!

On to the next 10,000 miles.

Attachments

• perfectagain_329.jpg
    perfectagain_329.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 9,758
Very interesting to read this as I have 1500 miles on my 991.2 C2 and it gives me a good indication of what to expect. Many thanks.

Great result with the ding. People are so thoughtless. :dont know:

Can you tell me why you had the oil changed at 10K and not the recommended 20K?

Reason I ask is because I've also been wondering whether I should.

VAP said:

Oil technology has developed massively in the last 10 yrs alone... however... manufacturers are under great peer pressure on service intervals in the marketplace. Theoretically fine, but new engine, in a 911, mechanical respect and sympathy I couldn't bring myself to do 20k on first oil fill as it all beds in. If I was owning short term for a year or so, then you'd do by the book, but as son of a mechanic, no way I'd do 20k miles without an oil change. Plus it's pence in the scheme of things.

Likewise, it's even worse if you're doing low mileage with a garage queen and not getting the oil up to temperature often... then going on Sunday blasts! Horrific. Minimum annual oil change, not 2 yrs etc.

Loving the red bezel. Tempted.

Attachments

• img_9211_134.jpg
    img_9211_134.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 9,655
Love that Red Bezel, where can I get one ?

6appeal said:
VAP said:

Oil technology has developed massively in the last 10 yrs alone... however... manufacturers are under great peer pressure on service intervals in the marketplace. Theoretically fine, but new engine, in a 911, mechanical respect and sympathy I couldn't bring myself to do 20k on first oil fill as it all beds in. If I was owning short term for a year or so, then you'd do by the book, but as son of a mechanic, no way I'd do 20k miles without an oil change. Plus it's pence in the scheme of things.

Likewise, it's even worse if you're doing low mileage with a garage queen and not getting the oil up to temperature often... then going on Sunday blasts! Horrific. Minimum annual oil change, not 2 yrs etc.

Thanks.
Mine has only 5K on it, but once it starts getting close to 10K, I'll book it in.

VAP said:
Thanks.
Mine has only 5K on it, but once it starts getting close to 10K, I'll book it in.

As an alternate view, I waited until 17k for my first oil change with my991.1 C4S - so inline with the manufacturer/car indicator. I figure if Porsche think its fine, its fine. If mine had taken any oil I might have though differently, but it hasn't used more than 0.25l in 22k miles.

weejimmy said:
VAP said:
Thanks.

As an alternate view, I waited until 17k for my first oil change with my991.1 C4S - so inline with the manufacturer/car indicator. I figure if Porsche think its fine, its fine. If mine had taken any oil I might have though differently, but it hasn't used more than 0.25l in 22k miles.

Thanks for letting me know your experience :thumb:
I still have a good few miles to go, so I'll revisit it closer the date.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back