Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Manual shift knob removal

gtb5

I'm prepared to replace the stock manual shift knob but couldn't find any resource online for the proper way, so it looks like the knob can be screwed or pulled off. Anyone has any idea would be appreciated.

I just replaced mine.

- Unclip the gaitor with a trim removal tool.
- Turn the gaitor counter clockwise until you hear a click
- Pull the gaitor with the gearknob off the bar

Remove the knob from the gaitor by removing the plastic clamp..

Attachments

• img_3781_ffd91226749e5c9a6a5208e10ba887d9d2bedc94_149.jpg
    img_3781_ffd91226749e5c9a6a5208e10ba887d9d2bedc94_149.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,903
So the gaiter has to be removed, first time that needs to be done for shift knob replacement for me, time to get those tools. Your knob looks great BTW.

On mine, I could only get the trim removal tool at the left side of the gear knob, there was no space on the right side.

You unclip it at the front (i.e. nearest to the dash), and pull left and right side up. The bottom part just hinges in then so you can lift it out.

When you have the gator and knob off, turn it inside out and you can see the ring that holds the knob onto the leather. You can twist that ring off after which you can remove the knob.

I have some pictures of the removal process if you get stuck.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back