Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 Carrera. Next Car? Views/Experiences

Andrew911

Spa-Francorchamps
My Porsche history is:

Boxster S Gen 1
993 Carrera
996 Turbo
997 Gen 2 S
Currently drive a 981 Boxster Spyder

The 981 Spyder is probably the best drivers car I have owned. Its a great car. Bought new last May & still very low miles (3000). I am thinking of maybe moving the Spyder on before the end of the summer. By then I would have had 17 months of free motoring & is still worth more than I paid for it. I'am selling mainly as I have a lot of money tied up in it which I would like to release. Plus whilst the Spyder is awesome i do tend to change cars every 18-24 months. I'am also hoping that I might be in line for the next GT4 (if there is going to be one & if its NA). So, in the meantime what's it going to be? It needs to be a daily driver (only 10 mile round trip).

Budget is up to £50K. The 997 was also a great car, but not sure I want to go back to a similar car i have previously owned, but maybe still a contender. The other two on the radar - both very different propositions are a 991.1 Carrera or an M3 Coupe with Competition pack. The M3 at £30K seems very good value for the last NA V8. But I am a Porsche fan & think I would like the 991. From reviews Porsche seem to have improved the chassis and handling. Quite like the rear of the 991.

Interested to hear from those who own/have owned a 991.1 & particularly anyone who has made a move from say a 997.

My next 911 will be a 991 Carrera. I've driven a few and know that for 95% of my driving I won't miss the thrill that the Turbo rush gives.

In your position I'd buy an older Porsche - not necessarily a 911 - for weekend fun and satisfy my urge to change cars regularly by spending £10k-£20k on a second car to do the 10 mile daily stuff.

There's lots of interesting fun cars out there in that price bracket. eg. My wife's GT86 is an absolute hoot.

T8 said:
My next 911 will be a 991 Carrera. I've driven a few and know that for 95% of my driving I won't miss the thrill that the Turbo rush gives.

I noticed you had a 997 Gen C2S - same as my previous car. How does the 991 compare? I have yet to drive the 991.

Andrew911 said:
T8 said:

I noticed you had a 997 Gen C2S - same as my previous car. How does the 991 compare? I have yet to drive the 991.

I don't where you noticed that. :? I have driven various 997s but have only owned my Turbo.

Under normal circumstances I don't think you'd notice much difference performance wise. The most noticeable difference is the interior comfort and build quality where the 8 years evolution really does show through.

Although the exterior dimensions are very similar the interior space seems much bigger and when you jump back into a 997 afterwards it seems a lot smaller and a lot more nimble.

A lot of people consider the 991 to be more of a GT than a sports car and it's difficult to argue with that. Personally if I wanted a 'sportier' Porsche I'd go for a Cayman anyway.

Sorry T8. Not sure where I thought you had 997 C2S :eek: But thanks for the comments on comparison. The 981 Spyder i have is awesome & probably more sharper and sportier to drive than a 991. The 991 will just be different & having owned three 911s; they do get under your skin.

About 3 years ago, moved from a 997.2 C4S to a 991.1 C4S. The verdict :-

1. The interior package/layout is a significant improvement over my 997.

2. Exterior - a natural evolution from the 997 - pleasing to the eye from all angles, especially from the rear quarter. :grin:

3. Aural delight - love the throaty engine/exhaust note (even with PSE off), and the frenzied scream when accelerating hard with PSE and Sports Plus on. Certainly lets other road users know what's coming up behind them!! :D :D

4. Technology & Options. In some areas, a very nice step change from the 997. Particularly like all the read-outs and info on the fourth dial accessed through the MFSW.
Start/stop and coasting features were initially annoying, but no longer an issue. Can always be switched off.
The simple things, like red seat belts and sports lip spoiler on the front bumper, make me smile every time.

5. Handling/Steering - compared to the 997, not such a quantum jump. Always considered the 997 superb in this area, so happy that the 991 is in the same ballpark, with surefootedness enhanced further by the improved 4-WD system.
In terms of the steering feel, if the front end is pushed hard, it feels totally planted and very similar to the hydraulically assisted steering of the 997. When not pushed so hard, the 991's electric steering is slightly more nervous and can feel a little fidgety over certain surfaces.

Hope the above helps to make a decision one way or the other and that you find the right car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForeheadMacca
Back