Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Auto Start Stop playing silly beggers

coopertrooper2001

I have Auto stop start on my 2016 Cayenne. The majority of the time it turns the engine off before vehicle is stationary. Not ideal as I lose power steering/brakes etc. Not a massive deal as it kicks in around 4-6mph, but it doesnt seem right.

Occasionally it does let me stop before turning off, but suspect this is due to other parameters not being met.

Does this sound right or do I need a trip to the service dept?

I know I can turn it off via the button on the centre console.

It's a problem I had on my new Touareg and I complained to VW who as you can imagine were less than interested.
My argument was much the same as yours in that how can you have a vehicle 'coasting' with no engine power? I argued that the engine provided power for the brakes and the steering so should be running until the vehicle is stationary, they came back that the power steering is electric, which it isn't it's hydraulic and you can barely move the wheel when the engines not running.
My older Touareg didn't have the same issue, it only cut the engine when you were actually at a standstill, which is how I preferred it but apparently VW are adamant that what we have is right.
Love the car, hate the Start/Stop system which only works when it feels like it anyway. Only way to turn it off is the button in the centre console.

Imho thats a fault .

Its not supposed to stop the engine untill its stationary and its not something i remember ever seeing on previous Cayennes .. but to be fair i only test it once on R/T then turn it off .. hate the dam thing with a passion .

Get an OPC to look at it as its still under warrenty.

I fekin hate those things!

Got one on the Macan and my very first action is to disable it before ignition.

I honestly don't buy into them being any good whatsoever.

All of the cars I have had it on(Jaguars,Range Rovers and Toyota) it only ever turns off the engine after coming to a standstill,and only then after a few seconds of idling. Sounds like an issue on the vehicle. I agree a complete waste of time,first thing I do is turn it off. Tried to get dealers to disable but they wont😀

I thought if you press the Sport button it disables the stop/start anyway, so just use Sport mode all the time.

Agree our Mercedes and our 2014 KN all stop when car is stationery, so it definitely sounds wrong to me.

I don't mind start/stop, got very used to it driving loads of miles in a Company Merc, and how to 'feather' my braking if approaching a junction/roundabout and needing a quick get out so it didn't kick in, but the car was effectively stationery - another reason why your car shouldn't be shutting off so soon.

I much prefer Mercedes implementation of it and the 'Hold' function, where a sort of double dab on the brake pedal when you are stationery implements the 'Hold' function, i.e. holds the footbrake on without you needing to keep the pedal pressed. If engine is 'Auto stopped' it then stays off with no feet on the pedals and you simply depress the accelerator when you're ready to move off. With Porsche it seems you always need the brake pedal pressed or to put it into P.

Mind you having said that I did have a loaner from the OPC either a 981 or a 991 with auto start/stop, and that was just plain wrong!!

Zorro said:
I thought if you press the Sport button it disables the stop/start anyway, so just use Sport mode all the time.

Yes it does. But sport mode is a pain when dawdling in heavy traffic. Normal mode is handy most of the time.

I just bought a cayenne and my start/stop function stops the engine before I've come to a complete stop, just like yours. I don't think there's anything wrong with the car - it's probably just a 'feature'. Like others, I just disable it all the time as I always have done on previous cars.

northeast canuck said:
I just bought a cayenne and my start/stop function stops the engine before I've come to a complete stop, just like yours. I don't think there's anything wrong with the car - it's probably just a 'feature'. Like others, I just disable it all the time as I always have done on previous cars.

It is a 'feature' ..of course , but the OPis asking about its limit of operation which seems a bit random.... IMHO it's a PITA full stop , it pi55es me off .. I'm sick of having to disable it each time I get ( or not as the case may be) ... It's counter intuitive and often I pull up at a roundabout junction and have come to just enough of a 'stop' for it to kick in then I want to be on the accelerator again and find it has to 'turn over ' to fire the engine again causing momentary hesitation in progress ... I don't like this 'feature' intruding on my driving style .....

I rank this alongside Porsche's faux pas of the PDK steering wheel levers on their first PDK versions ...

Terry

Norfolk & Idea said:
Zorro said:

Yes it does. But sport mode is a pain when dawdling in heavy traffic. Normal mode is handy most of the time.

Disable manually or Only in Sport plus on mine?

I'm in Sport mode all the time ..!

Terry

I was messing around with a Panamera the other day and on our Auto logic tester i found an option to recode it , option was either on when car is started or off as the default option.

I would suggest that next time your car is in for work you get your garage to check and see if it can be coded to default off when started .. not sure if a Piwis tester can do this though.

It will not work for many different reasons .. low battery charge being one of the main ones .. from memory if the battery is less than 80 % charged then it switches the system off .. warning symbol on the dash when its deativated .. again a log of the reasons is stored and can be accessed by the garage for fault diagnostic reasons .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back