Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aero kit / GT3 front splitter PU

Gollom122

I am in need of a new splitter due to speed bump scrapes and the cars having a bumper respray for the summer. The last time I purchased from OPC I paid £149 plus VAT. They now want £215.55 plus VAT (£258) which seems a lot for a piece of plastic.
So, as an alternative to an bi-annual consumable I was wondering if anyone had painted one with plasti dip before? And if so, what results did they get?
I wish I'd kept the old ones now to try this with.
If anyone knows of a cheaper source, Part number is 9975059839(last digit can be a 2,4 or 6)

Yes, I sprayed my aero kit splitter with Plastidip. Use the matt black and the finish is very close to the other bits of black plastic trim.

It's pretty hard wearing and if you do need to touch up you just spray the area you need to, it blends very easily with the older coats.

I do Euro jaunts and track days and it's easy to keep the splitter looking fresh.

For the sake of £8 a can of eBay it's worthwhile trying and seeing what you think.

Thanks for the advice,
I was thinking of overspraying the black with the glossifier to add a shine. Given your comments do you think this is necessary - I have a Red car.
Does a single can do the job? I was thinking 4 to 5 coats?

I wouldn't use the glossifier, personally I think it's a good match without.

After a good clean and panel wipe of the surface I put a light first coat then four pretty heavy coats on and it came out well.

I watched the youtube channel "dip your car" to get hints and tips on how to do it properly!

Cheers,

I'll have a go.
I can always add glossifier later if not happy with the matt finish :thumb:

They look a better option than OEM. I am going to give the plasti dip a go first.
Good spot.

Let us know quality if you buy.

A big thanks to BIG E 118. I never expected the Plasti Dip to do such a fantastic job - I wish I'd spent more time rubbing down before I started as I think the finish would have been perfect.
Here are the before and afters

Attachments

• splitter1_197.jpg
    splitter1_197.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 4,910
  • splitter2_621.jpg
    splitter2_621.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 4,910
  • splitter3_161.jpg
    splitter3_161.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 4,909
Wow thats a dam good finish did yours have any splits in as mine has a small 10mm split at the bottom right in the middle thanks to my local multi story :x
might have to give that a go myself mmmmm rephrase might have to get someone to do this for me :grin: :grin:

Your body shop can 're-weld' the split. Mine was not split.
It is an easy DIY job.
Removal - pull from the middle forwards and down, then work your way to each side - there is a torx screw underneath - I never put mine back in as its not needed to hold the splitter in.
Once removed, I'd recommend a light rub with emery paper, then wipe clean with IPA or solvent cleaner. Hang from the garage roof upside down so you have good access to the bottom of the splitter. I used the screw holes and added two more holes where the splitter fixes to the bumper.
Lightly 'dust' the paint on in several coats, leaving to dry for half an hour in between coats. I ended up adding two more coats after I took these photos until the can was almost empty (7coats in total).
I paid £12 for a can and would happily do this a couple of times a year. The old dip comes off like a sheet of vinyl and can even be touched up when you get the odd scrape.
:thumb: :thumb:

thanks for the tips mate :thumb: :thumb: £12 has to be better than £200 for a new one :grin:

Back on the car
Freshly painted bumper and my plasti dipped splitter

Attachments

• image1_743.jpg
    image1_743.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 4,726
  • image2_175.jpg
    image2_175.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 4,726
  • img_2503_149.jpg
    img_2503_149.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 4,726