Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Knocking from front

SamUK

Montreal
Yes...another issue... :sad:

hoping its a simple one..started off few weeks back, getting little knock form the front when breaking and setting off..

today it got worse..and i found that when i turned the wheel to the right half turn and turned back again i would hear a loud knock..

Any thoughts?

Dammit man .. how many problems can just one owner have !!

As above , i suspect a link rod .. put it on a full lock grab hold of it and move up and down and in and out .. there should be NO play in it .. you will hear a knock if its worn.

Other possibility is brake pads moveing in the calipers due to the backing plates comeing unstuck.

Sam have you locked the missus in the front again and forgot shes in there :floor: :floor: but yes as Iain and graeme suggest would be first port of call :thumb:

Thanks guys..

i dont think the boot is big enough to get my misses in...unless i a Dexter.. :floor:

will check the above..i am guessing you jack the car up then wobble the wheel..

Popped into a garage..

its the shock top mounts..

which of these should i get?

what is OEM brand?

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod1...g-Mount-Porsche-996---997---Boxster---Cayman/

or

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod1...Mount-Porsche-996---997---Boxster---Cayman_2/

or

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod8...che-996---997---Boxster---Cayman-99734301801/

he also said i need the ball bearing...911 said they are not included:

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod7...oove-Ball-Bearing--9963435150597---986---987/

is there anything else that should be changed at the same time

ordered the OEM and bearings... £176+ £100 fitting..

booked in the morning.. :thumb:

That's a very good price to change them over, like a seriously good price. I've known people to have to either very very very carefully take the time to cut them away from the strut or just buy new struts and top bearings because the cost in labour to slowly cut them away and not damage the strut in the process.

Porsche (& other manufacturers) break golden rules in Engineering by putting an alloy against a ferrous metal. Both highly corrosive with a mixture of water & air. I such the combination of the two metals fuse them together, and no amount of heating / bashing / prying will separate them.

I've actually seen this in the workshop for myself & I'm sure the OPC technicians on here would of as well.

The actual bearing race comes in its little kit & isn't that expensive, it's the labour time which is the main cost.

Depending on age, condition and mileage would depict if I were to buy Eurocarparts copy or genuine Porsche part. But given a choice and the cost being minimum difference, I'd gladly genuine every time.

Good luck, hope all goes well. :thumb:

Very cheap labour cost .. but its like watching a Horror movie .. i have my fingers over my eyes as i know what they might find ..

Ill be behind the sofa if you want me !

Good luck :thumb:

Lol...

Fingers crossed..Springs were changed last year..So hopefully it will be a straight forward job...

If the springs have been changed then your fine .. its the ones that aint been touched that are the mare of a job .

Im dubious it is actually the top mounts .. but ill not argue for now as they have had a look and i aint :D

They had turned the wheel.. and the spring had play in it at the top..The bearing was moving...Allot more on the right then the left side..

Saying that it's a Porsche...Anything possible..

Hoping it's the mounts..

Driving to design911 in the morning to collect then drop the car to the garage..

Well this is embarrassing...

I emptied my boot this morning before heading to design911...and on my way back though where is the knocking gone...

Then realised I found my missing vodka bottles... ! :lock:

I have still dropped the car to the garage for them to take the top mount off and check it.. as they said it did have play in it..

SamUK said:
Well this is embarrassing...

I emptied my boot this morning before heading to design911...and on my way back though where is the knocking gone...

Then realised I found my missing vodka bottles... ! :lock:

I have still dropped the car to the garage for them to take the top mount off and check it.. as they said it did have play in it..
:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back