Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993... London Banger Tax?

For a minute I thought it might be the cars, buses, taxis, lorries and twenty year old Porsches that caused the pollution. Might have known the EU was behind this!

AP90 said:
It took me an hour and a half of slog to get out of London yesterday, once I hit a fast section of dual carriage way A316, a farcical 40MPH speed limit was being enforced via average speed cameras.............surely it makes sense to get the traffic out of London on major roads as quickly as possible

Well don't go anywhere near Croydon, the council are rolling out a borough wide 20mph speed limit, a few main roads will be exempt with a heady 30mph limit, unbelievable.

Gottans said:
AP90 said:
It took me an hour and a half of slog to get out of London yesterday, once I hit a fast section of dual carriage way A316, a farcical 40MPH speed limit was being enforced via average speed cameras.............surely it makes sense to get the traffic out of London on major roads as quickly as possible

Well don't go anywhere near Croydon, the council are rolling out a borough wide 20mph speed limit, a few main roads will be exempt with a heady 30mph limit, unbelievable.

Yes, Islington has self congratulatory signs claiming to be the first borough to be 20MPH, just sick of it all, that's why I left London.

........ I have always hated Islington with a vengeance ever since Blair lived there ........ and I believe that the 20mph speed limit is enforced. We have many roads here in Ealing with a 20mph speed limit but as yet none are enforced by cameras.

I guess this is an inevitability, but doesn't have anything to do with the EU. It's Sadiq Khan's initiative to reduce pollution in London.

The only reference to the EU is that cars which don't meet Euro 4 standard will be subject to the additional charge.

I find it more annoying that all of us who were persuaded to go with diesel cars over the last few years now find we are on the wrong side of things. I pay a surcharge to park a diesel car in a resident's parking zone, and Westminster will soon trial a parking surcharge on diesels in pay and display type spaces.

The TFL website are very kind, they sent me an email today about the changes. I like the options given to me after putting the car is pre 2001 in the "emissions surcharge checker"

-Walk, cycle or use public transport - visit our Journey Planner tool
-Upgrade your vehicle. In this case, you'll also need to check the forthcoming tighter ULEZ standards
-Pay the daily charge
-Join a car club - all car club vehicles meet the emission standard. Find out more about car clubs
-Lease a vehicle that meets the required emission standard

Option 2 will be fun on this forum given most 993s do not do intergalactic mileages... Yes sell the 993 and buy a 991/997. Gulp!
:sad:

gunner said:
My money is on hydrogen as the future of personal transport.

Given that 96% of industrially produced hydrogen comes from gas, oil or coal and the alternative is to use massive amounts of electricity : I'd be stunned if it ever made significant inroads. The only clean way to do hydrogen is to make it from electricity, thus electric cars cut out the middle man and instantly become a no brainer as soon as they have adequate range and viable charging times. And that is before you consider that the world already has extensive infrastructure for transmitting electricity and comparatively almost none for moving and storing something with as poor a volumetric energy density as hydrogen.

So personally I think that the future will run on rechargeable batteries (particularly if some of the graphene and carbon nanotube research that we keep hearing about turns into actual commercial product).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back