Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cat Removal

SamUK

Montreal
Hi,

Anyone here changed there cats themselves?

thinking i may put the OE ones back on to see if this fixes my issues..

Looking at the picture i think the mufflers will need to come out..however speaking to Topgear they said they do not..

see pics..

Any thoughts?

Sam

Attachments

• ex1_170.jpg
    ex1_170.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 5,938
  • ex2_758.jpg
    ex2_758.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 5,938
Poor cat, he must be terrified stuck in there. Try and tease him out with some milk.

You can remove the cats quite easily without removing any other parts of the exhaust especially as your bolts / clamps look new. By the looks of the space you have you might even be able to do it without removing the bumper although this may need to come off to put the old OE ones back on as these are a bit larger. Before you start undoing bolts though i would disconnect the lambda sensors so so the cables are free otherwise you might stretch one braking it.

you wont need to do all of this but its quite a good guide

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...haust/47-EXHAUST-High_Performance_Exhaust.htm

yes it can be done quite easily if the nuts and bolts are all clean,...its much easier with the bumper off but not essential.
The backboxes can move out more with the bumper off to give you some wiggle room but as your backboxes are smaler than standard i think i would try with the bumper on?

Out of curiosity how comes your taking the X-pipe cats off to replace with standard cross over cats?

J

Thanks guys...

poor cat.. lol

Yes Tandem pump is rusted as i was told by 9M..though they said its an expensive fix..also my exhaust bracket was rusty..they said this is an engine out job.. :dont know:

what does the tandom pump do anyway?

I had been watching this on ebay...any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142256512290?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I was thinking about putting the standard cats on to see if this fixes my misfire issue and hesitation i get near 1200rpm since the plug and coil pack change

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1286652#1286652

I had been to a MOT station for a emissions check, and all the readings were fine..so looks like the cats are not the issue...so may not need to take them off now..

Sam the tandem pump is connected to the brake servo the cheapest place I have found was Autodoc in Germany currently with 10% off £252. which is far better than the £400 plus from Porsche. I know the ad doesnt state 997.1 but it is the one and you can double check with their live chat . I have just replaced mine.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/pierburg/7890260

the ebay item your watching is an over cover in stainless steel it would fit over your new pump to stop it rusting again ,I have also fitted one of those. the other option is an aluminium replacement cover from another suppler think its ACP it has been fitted by one member but I have no info on how its holding up and if its up to the job as its actually a replacement cover and as such is directly connected to the moving parts of the pump which is my reasoning for giving it a miss as its not been tried and tested fully yet. but look for the thread on who fitted it and see how they are doing with it. :thumb:

Last year OPC quoted me £780 to replace the tandem pump on my 997 so gives you an idea of cost.

Blimey Gary, my guy charged me £150 labour plus I paid the £250 odd for the pump and he supplied the £40 odd quid breather pipe that's best to replace at the same time. so about half the cost of the OPC and no vat which is always added on. :thumb: pays to look around and use the knowledge on the forum :thumb:

SamUK said:
Hi,

Anyone here changed there cats themselves?

thinking i may put the OE ones back on to see if this fixes my issues..

Looking at the picture i think the mufflers will need to come out..however speaking to Topgear they said they do not..

see pics..

Any thoughts?

Sam

I under advice from Revolution Brighouse retained the original cats ( they last a fair few years - in my case 12) but stripped the rest out from manifolds down to tailpipes for a Supersprint solution - including marine grade stainless for all fittings

Only two bolts proved a ***** :lol: when the manifolds were replaced

I fitted the ACP cover which seems fine no issues with it at all, came with new SS bolt and the gasket. It's a lot more solid / thicker than the original cover and is machined to the exact internal dimensions as the original from a solid lump of aircraft grade aluminum. Fitted it myself in a couple of hours as I took the cat and bumper off to make sure I didn't snap an old bolt due to poor access. So you might want to do this job while you are removing the cats to save some time.

http://alternativecarparts.co.uk/sh...craft-grade-aluminium-replacement-pump-cover/

I see that ACP are now producing the replacement cover for the turbo model too.
Don't think mine needs replacing anytime soon but the Aircraft grade Ali option will certainly be considered when it does. Their may even be a bit of feedback from others at this point.

Its the turbo ACP have been testing on and the point at which i bought mine they had covered about 5k miles with no issue. I am up to about 500 miles if that so not much of a test yet, there must be others who have fitted this though as i bought the last one of the batch so they must have gone through quite a few before me?

Looks like the mufflers need to come out before the cats can be removed..

is this right?

struggling to remove the top nut for the cat as the muffler pipe is in the way...

Also seems simple unless i have missed something..

remove wheel..undo the 2 nuts holding the muffler and the clamps holding the muffler to the cats... then slide out the muffler..

remove the o2 sensors..and remove the 13mm nut for the cats and slide off...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back