Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which 996 model?

If you could find a C2 with a hartech engine build then that would tick all boxes. Honestly a turbo will be so similar to your 997. Also turbos are expensive to maintain and the engines can fail (I should know).

Is it just because you do not want to put too many miles on the 997? Surely by putting miles on the 997 you would not lose as much value as the cost of running a second porsche...

Valuation

What would be fair price on a 996 C4 coupe with manual gearbox and 82k on the clock? It's a 2001 3.4 model with 5 owners. Thanks in advance.

Also any recommendation on who to use for PPI please?

Re: Valuation

elan said:
What would be fair price on a 996 C4 coupe with manual gearbox and 82k on the clock? It's a 2001 3.4 model with 5 owners. Thanks in advance.

Also any recommendation on who to use for PPI please?

£11k - £12k

Is that were you see the middle of the market? Sounds a little low to me.

MC

elan said:
Silver colour seems to be quite popular.

What do you guys think of these two:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262822858512

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272545784249

Silver was popular on all cars in the early 2000s so I'd say towards 50% of all 996 are Silver. Therefore worth less than Black/Grey/Blue IMO.

Those two C4S are both 04 - porsche changed the service intervals for the last 18 months or so. The second car is 13 years old, has done 100k miles, but has only been serviced six times. No thanks.

Personally I think if you have a 997 turbo, a 996 turbo or C4S will be too similar. As others have said, look at early 996 C2, Cayman or Boxster.

If you do go for a pre-purchase inspection PM me, I can suggest someone NOT to use :roll:

Thanks for the valuation guys. I am not a fan of silver and most of them are!
The prices seems to be all over the place. This one seems a lot more:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609177854793

Ian_b, sounds like you had a bit of headache with PPI, I will give you a shout when I am ready.

elan said:

Ian_b, sounds like you had a bit of headache with PPI, I will give you a shout when I am ready.

You`re right elan, prices are all over the place with 996.1`s :thumb:

Obviously I`m biased towards a 996.1 pre-Egas C2 car with Aerokit as they are lovely looking cars IMHO, which is why I only considered these when looking for my baby.

I could have a full Hartech engine rebuild on my 996.1 and probably come in close to the asking price of that C4 in your link for what I paid for mine 12 months ago ( 100k on the clock ) :grin:

Miles means nothing, it all depends on how the car has been looked after in other areas :hand:

My car has just been given a clean bill of health underneath by CentreGravity, loads of money had been spent in the last few years by the previous owners, so a 3.7 Hartech engine upgrade is looking like a way forward, standing me at
£20K for the cost of the car and engine rebuild.................which will only increase in value in the future IMHO :thumb:

elan obviously bias but look at the anniversary, 2nd best NA car and deffo cheaper that a gt3 :D pricewise they look good at the minute. Before I upset the 964 brigade look at the prices of the 30th yahre. yes I know they were made in smaller numbers and everyone wants an aircooled 911 especially turbobodied :D but the 996 is far more modern. I am going to put a tin hat on here but why buy a slower 4s just for the 4x4 and brakes, x51 is the way forward and drive like you stole it :D

sorry I forgot the 4s also has a fat arse :D

kurlykris said:
elan said:

You`re right elan, prices are all over the place with 996.1`s :thumb:

Obviously I`m biased towards a 996.1 pre-Egas C2 car with Aerokit as they are lovely looking cars IMHO, which is why I only considered these when looking for my baby.

I could have a full Hartech engine rebuild on my 996.1 and probably come in close to the asking price of that C4 in your link for what I paid for mine 12 months ago ( 100k on the clock ) :grin:

Miles means nothing, it all depends on how the car has been looked after in other areas :hand:

My car has just been given a clean bill of health underneath by CentreGravity, loads of money had been spent in the last few years by the previous owners, so a 3.7 Hartech engine upgrade is looking like a way forward, standing me at
£20K for the cost of the car and engine rebuild.................which will only increase in value in the future IMHO :thumb:

I know you say mileage means nothing kris but it does when it comes to values, i understand what u r saying but my 993 i sold had 97k on it, if it had 57k it would of been worth 15k more. You know what i paid for my c2 compared to yours as mine has half the mileage. People are hung up with the odometer!!!
Anyway how much is this hartech 3.7 rebuild, just 10k?? Thought that was just the cost of standard rebuild???

Re the looks, it's down to personal choice of course and when you first start looking it's quite mind boggling the variety available.

I'd vote for a mark 1 C2, I think it's matured in looks nicely, its a lean , pretty coupe plus the engine issues are likely to be less on the sort of mileage that you would be looking at, the IMS issue seems to either happen early on mileage wise or not happen and the bore scoring seems to be a mark 2 thing.

Re the "end of the world" scenario of needing a new engine, show me another car of this ilk guaranteed not to have large potential engine bills, actually you could spend the same sort of money sorting out all the suspension and other worn out bits on the "wrong" car and thats more likely that a blown engine in my experience.

When I bought mine, my man maths was that, if the engine blew that I could either get a super reliable replacement for £10k or alternatively good cars with knackered engines were going for about £8k so for me that was a £5k loss. Not desirable but better than a potential £10k loss and of course it may never happen.

Enjoy whichever you get.

MisterCorn said:
I will start the replies with the suggestion of an early C2. It is regarded as being a pretty pure drivers car without the electronic trickery of the later cars, I think the 3.4 manual is less prone to bore scoring than the 3.6 but I could be wrong. I have one alongside my 996 turbo and they are very different.

MC
-------------------------------
I also run a 996.1 coupe, C2, manual along side my 996 Turbo S. Very different cars and also a real pleasure to drive.

It feels nimble, light and very responsive and is quicker than you think....oh the noise!!.... I have a full K&N induction kits and it is awesome!

IceBoy

Attachments

• 20160501_110847_resized_1_182.jpg
    20160501_110847_resized_1_182.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 3,234
My 2p...

I am in a fortunate position to have three 996 currently – Porsche 996 Turbo, heavily modified Mk1 3.4 C2 and another well optioned more stock Mk1 3.4 C2.

1st started out at the deep end with a Turbo... amazing car but when i started to see values increase it made me reconsider the frequency of use. So I justified the purchase of the Mk1 3.4 C2. This car was sadly a knee jerk purchase and has cost me considerable time, sanity and monies to sort, but it is a lovely car and was bought for me to enjoy without looking at the odometer... which it delivers!

Then a friend needed to jump out of his beautiful highly optioned Mk1 3.4 C2 into a very big money, collectors 996 Turbo X50. So this was a case of right car at the (very worse) wrong time, but as I knew the recent service history of the car and the purchase made sense... even if the 'Man Maths' was beyond weak.

So fleet wise I have a selection of choice keys to choose from and the one I always grab is my 'problem child C2'. I just love the way the Mk1 3.4 C2 cars drive and do believe in many years time these will be a coveted model as they bridge the gap between the air cooled and water cooled models, they feel very analogue, yet comfortable and civilised enough to be enjoyed as a daily and with the better half!

Plus I love the duality of the engine in the 3.4... lots of torque low down and then that sudden change and urgency at higher RPM... its a car that can be genuinely used at 8/10ths safely on the road and for whatever reason just puts a big, contented smile on my face as it rewards good driving.

So I'd say if you can find a very early (below 99') C2, you'd be onto a winner with that car and have an awesome garage line up! It's a totally different feel to a Turbo 911 and I genuinely believe it for the better! :thumb:

Mr B

MrB said:
My 2p...

I am in a fortunate position to have three 996 currently – Porsche 996 Turbo, heavily modified Mk1 3.4 C2 and another well optioned more stock Mk1 3.4 C2.

1st started out at the deep end with a Turbo... amazing car but when i started to see values increase it made me reconsider the frequency of use. So I justified the purchase of the Mk1 3.4 C2. This car was sadly a knee jerk purchase and has cost me considerable time, sanity and monies to sort, but it is a lovely car and was bought for me to enjoy without looking at the odometer... which it delivers!

Then a friend needed to jump out of his beautiful highly optioned Mk1 3.4 C2 into a very big money, collectors 996 Turbo X50. So this was a case of right car at the (very worse) wrong time, but as I knew the recent service history of the car and the purchase made sense... even if the 'Man Maths' was beyond weak.

So fleet wise I have a selection of choice keys to choose from and the one I always grab is my 'problem child C2'. I just love the way the Mk1 3.4 C2 cars drive and do believe in many years time these will be a coveted model as they bridge the gap between the air cooled and water cooled models, they feel very analogue, yet comfortable and civilised enough to be enjoyed as a daily and with the better half!

Plus I love the duality of the engine in the 3.4... lots of torque low down and then that sudden change and urgency at higher RPM... its a car that can be genuinely used at 8/10ths safely on the road and for whatever reason just puts a big, contented smile on my face as it rewards good driving.

So I'd say if you can find a very early (below 99') C2, you'd be onto a winner with that car and have an awesome garage line up! It's a totally different feel to a Turbo 911 and I genuinely believe it for the better! :thumb:

Mr B

:thumb:

kurlykris said:

Blimey Kris! How much did you end up getting that car for!? I think I saw it during my search (Nov '15 - Feb '16). 110k or something? I thought it had been up for £11k+. A full Hartech rebuild rarely leaves change from £12k so a big capacity one must be £15k similar to the Autofarm one.

Mileage matters to most buyers, although it's in no way an indication of whether you'll have trouble free motoring in the future. That's down to pot luck unfortunately, thanks to the usual issues.

Bargain cars if you're one of the lucky ones or find a car that a previous owner has had rebuilt/improved.
If you pay £13k for a straight car though that then needs the £12k rebuild you'll have a lovely car but it will take a long time for it to rise to £25k, if ever.
Then add in the other running costs for a little while and you could almost (well with a loan or something) get into a leggy GT3 which will sky rocket in value compared to a vanilla 996.

That's all just my take on it. Great cars when they're working but there's no way they're rising enough to cover all costs anytime soon.
:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back