Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wiper blade confusion - Help!

Alex

Nordschleife
Didn't know where to post this but seeing as it's a 996, I suppose here.

Yesterday my passenger side wiper blade.......err.......tore.

So I'm left with a big streaky bit when I wipe. :oops:

But........when I bought new blades, I kept my old ones, for case of emergency. Today I pulled my old ones out, ready to fit a 'spare' blade until I get new ones.

My question is though, why do drivers side have an aerofoil on and not the passenger side? I ended up fitting my old drivers side blade to the passenger side because I felt it looked more 'cooler' and symmetrical. Have I made an epic mistake and they'll explode when I use them, or is it just some silly reason why passenger side blades don't have the wind deflector?

Now:

20170217_161150_HDR_zpsrylyd5k3.jpg

At least I found a use for the old 'blade'

20170217_161244_HDR_zpsx1dujckx.jpg

I thought that the passenger side blade should be curved whereas the drivers side is straight. You need the curved blade due to the shape of the screen. As to why no aerofoil, dunno.

PGR said:
Isn't the passenger side blade longer than the drivers?

Could be wrong but pretty sure they are all 22 inches but the passenger one should be curved. And I suspect the curve is part of the reason for no aerofoil

Yeah, I had the curved one on (which spent half it's life upside down :oops: ), one of the reasons I bought new ones when I got the car.

Gonna replace both with them new floppy rubber type ones.

I have done that, the very bottom left-most corner of the screen(looking out through it) doesn't get swept due to the curve, but you'll only notice if you deliberately look for it.

My car had 'modern' floppy wipers when I got it, the drivers side seemed to lift off the edge of the screen although the passenger side was fine with a straight blade.

I went for traditional Bosch blades with a curved passenger blade and so far they have been great, cheap enough at ECP too.

Mike

Bought my bosch blades from SC motor factors who gave me the option ŵith or without wind deflectors. I opted without as I don't like the look

I wonder if it'll go faster now? :dont know: :lol:

I've just changed mine with Bosch blades I think the aerofoil should be on the bottom and The curve ☹️. Is that correct? The blades appear to be made for Lhd cars so I had to adapt.

in the bosch part number system the letters JS after the number (size in inches) indicate a curved blade. 22JS is ideal, halfords only stock a 21JS which is ok but not ideal

Just bought Bosch's Aerotwin blades

Drivers AR22

Pax AR20

They do the job and don't need aero foils or curved bits

:grin:

Coincidentally, I also used an old aero wiper to make a bow and arrow kit for my daughter for school!

I fitted two aero foil PIAA type ones to my 997 one 21" one 22" had to carefully bend one to keep it off the scuttle panel and to make it touch the windscreen at the edge and is now great and I agree the two aero foil type look far better than one and a floppy on the other as OE .also a bit more downforce at speed keeping the blade against the glass has to be a good thing IMO :thumb: :grin:

clinchy993 said:
Just bought Bosch's Aerotwin blades

Drivers AR22

Pax AR20

They do the job and don't need aero foils or curved bits

:grin:

Where did you get these from please? Mine are getting all streaky and its time for a change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back