Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993... London Banger Tax?

These greedy prix are constantly on the search for more ways to extort money from us all, and no matter how much they take........they still can't get anything right

The congestion charge is an insidious tax

London is choking, it's not due to volume, it's due to the way the volume is handled, the phasing of lights, width restrictions, cycle lanes and speed bumps are all part of the problem

Traffic management is contrived by pen pushing bureaucrats that have no conception of the fact that some people work odd hours, have to carry tools or equipment to work, we're not all 9-5........

Our tiny little company pays £2-400 per month in congestion charging, imo it's just legalised robbery, along with camera fines and junction boxes it's becoming a farce

They seem to be actively destroying the country

It's among many reasons I moved to the south west

Rant over..........but ongoing

At the time of their launch the

993 Non Varioram was Euro 1 compliant
993 Varioram was Euro 2 compliant

The status is based at time of 1st production

AP90 said:
These greedy prix are constantly on the search for more ways to extort money from us all, and no matter how much they take........they still can't get anything right

The congestion charge is an insidious tax

London is choking, it's not due to volume, it's due to the way the volume is handled, the phasing of lights, width restrictions, cycle lanes and speed bumps are all part of the problem

Traffic management is contrived by pen pushing bureaucrats that have no conception of the fact that some people work odd hours, have to carry tools or equipment to work, we're not all 9-5........

Our tiny little company pays £2-400 per month in congestion charging, imo it's just legalised robbery, along with camera fines and junction boxes it's becoming a farce

They seem to be actively destroying the country

It's among many reasons I moved to the south west

Rant over..........but ongoing

I'm with you on this. We spend easily £1000.00 per month on the CC. Also, the Embankment used to be hands down the swiftest way for me to get from my office in East London to a client in the West End. 30 mins tops. And then they put that silly Cycle Super Highway in, cut out a lane and absolutely mullered all and sundry. I piss myself when a cyclist zips past me not even using then cycle lane! Utter utter shite. Mind you the CC just appears on my invoices to clients so it actually does not act as a deterrent.

I recall when we did the factory/Dinslaken trip last year there was a bit of hand wringing over whether people should get the requisite permit or whatever for the drive into Stuttgart where there is a similar emissions restriction. We winged it and didn't bother, but I guess if you have a UK registered vehicle and try driving into a UK emissions regulated city you are going to get nicked.

I must admit I let that slide. You suggested PMing HPNer and I forgot. I'll do that now to check the dates etc.

Tobesetc said:
Sorry peeps, but electric drive is the future. Battery's aren't. But other technologies such as fuel cells etc probably are.

As for pollution from the generation... Which really applies to the battery era which isn't the future.. It's still just a fraction of what a combustion engine chuck's out. And not in the city (hell, embrace the current political climate, think selfish).

you cant know if electric drive is the future, to me, they are a step up from a milk float, you say its the future, you then say, 'not batteries', if you are using fuel cells then whats electric about that.

Electric cars will always be niche, whilst oil is in abundance, they cant run a world economy as they are.

I charge up, have my heater, lights and wiper on, and my range drops from 300 miles to 90, nah.....pathetic.

The pollution today is a fraction of 30 years ago. Ever heard of smog, 100 years ago.

I'll get the Uber on Thursday

.....without me ....... lol ...... two forms of transport that I will NEVER use are flying Ryanair and using Uber ...... and those two things are set in stone.

Palladium said:
if you are using fuel cells then whats electric about that.

The drive mechanism. There are electric motors providing the drive. That's electric. And fuel cells are there to create electricity. So "what's electric" is all of it.

https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/index.html

I realise a forum that's refused to accept water cooling is not the place for these views :floor:

All of this is caveated with IMHO and I was only asking about the new charge in relation to the 993. I walk past Tesla and i8 cars every day and this week a Bugatti Chiron. The Bugatti is in the mould of a 993, brilliant engineering wringing the most you can get... But it's old tech. The Tesla and i8 look/feel like early attempts at new technology (though electric predates petrol in cars, so...) and I for one embrace these attempts.

Whilst I agree the ICE is somewhat archaic, huge advances have and continue to be made, it is not quite dead yet

We were told diesel is great, so we all went out and bought diesel cars, now diesel is crap, or so we're told and now what is the most expensive fuel.....diesel

Any mug knows the whole infrastructure of society runs on diesel, train boats and Lorries all run on diesel.............why the **** would any government make it the most expensive fuel??

Electric cars are currently not very viable, the logistics and cost to installing charging points are also a consideration let alone the effects of Lithium mining and Electric power at source, is still primarily a fossil fuel

Hydrogen fuel cells have not been fully explored, a very clean and abundant fuel source

Charging people money to save the environment is a joke, help and education would be far more beneficial

Yes air quality in London is very bad, but congestion is the root cause of it, free flowing traffic is the answer not charges and restrictions

It took me an hour and a half of slog to get out of London yesterday, once I hit a fast section of dual carriage way A316, a farcical 40MPH speed limit was being enforced via average speed cameras.............surely it makes sense to get the traffic out of London on major roads as quickly as possible

I just don't get it

Get your tenners ready gents..........it's easier for them to take your money now by Autopay!! You gotta love it!!

The best deterrent to driving in the city (even the weekend) is the slow pace. I use public transport through central London and then when driving from one part of London to another I use the ring roads which of course if you are driving longer miles and is inefficient and creates more pollution!

I did complain when TFL asked for comments but like most things its a waste of time as they have already made up their mind. From 2020 the tax will be all the time on pre 2005 vehicles don't forget!

I don't think the politicians give two hoots as they get driven around in taxpayer funded vehicles!

Particulates and NOx emissions are greatest from diesel engines. With most commercial vehicles (which need to enter London otherwise it would die) being diesel, over worked, ill-driven and possibly under maintained, ask your government if these vehicles are being taxed at a rate proportional to their emissions.

surely you must be aware that the range on these cars is calculated like mpg is, optimal conditions that are a fairy story.

put your heater, lights, radio and windscreen wipers on, and you are thinking and worrying about a recharge within an hour.

it progresss going backwards, dressed up as going forwards, what else would you expect from a liberal mindset?

Electric is good for mobility scooters and golf trolleys.

Palladium said:
surely you must be aware that the range on these cars is calculated like mpg is, optimal conditions that are a fairy story.

put your heater, lights, radio and windscreen wipers on, and you are thinking and worrying about a recharge within an hour.

it progresss going backwards, dressed up as going forwards, what else would you expect from a liberal mindset?

Electric is good for mobility scooters and golf trolleys.

And golf carts. Couldn't be without that particular mode of recreational transport when I'm playing in Spain.

Disco said:
gunner said:
I wish the government would make up their minds about which sorts of cars they like and which they don't.

My XC90 diesel won't be impacted but my 993 will. I thought we didn't like diesels in cities anymore...?

:dont know:

It isn't the government but rather Citizen Khan on that one. As for your XC90 : there is talk of punitive taxation or outright ban of diesels in London on the horizon, so you will presumably be hoping that they keep dragging their feet on that one...?

[There is already a timeline on diesel bans in cities for a number of cities, including Paris and Mexico City]

The fact that it's the mayor of London rather than central government doesn't really make any difference does it. It's still legislative bodies putting in place uncoordinated approaches.

The bans on diesels in various cities is exactly what I was referring to when I said "I thought we didn't like diesels in cities any more". I only ever use public transport in London so the XC90 isn't a problem. Would happily have bought the petrol/hybrid but it was at least £20k more!

My money is on hydrogen as the future of personal transport.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back