Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Option Codes and VIL - Special Editions/Equipment Packages?

Yep - all that makes sense 8)

What I'm asking though is what code is listed on the build spec printout from the chassis number or on the VIL?

Do the 40th AE cars have:

A) 219

Or

B) 22x (indicating a non-standard diff option)

I know that they come equipped with an LSD just wondering how Porsche indicate it on the build spec.

Anyone got a build spec sheet/printout for a 40th AE? :thumbs:

Not got one but if someone can let me know where to get one I will chase up a build spec sheet for you for my car and we can see what's listed there. Assume I might get it through OPC but will need to prove ownership.

Cheers.Ian

Hi Ian,

Yes my local OPC did the build spec printout for me :thumbs:

I'd only just bought the car at the time so don't remember having to show V5 etc but I did have the car in with them for a health check whilst they were doing it so I guess they knew the car was mine!

Obviously don't put yourself on behalf of my curiosity but would be interesting to know and I guess the build spec printout would be nice for your history file anyway :thumb:

Thanks,

Will

Right, managed to get the build sheet from OPC this afternoon - well it was sunny and dry and I needed an oil filter for the van from the nearby Halfords!!

Looks like the code listed for the LSD in the 40th is
220- Locking Differential 40%
as per the options code lists downloaded from here.

Have managed to match all the others on my build sheet apart from P15 and P16, using the list from 911uk and the one from PCGB (the link to the PCGB one is below in case anyone wants it.
https://www.porscheclubgb.com/PCGB/media/R31 assets/Docs/Porsche-Option-Codes.pdf?ext=.pdf

Hope this helps.
Cheers.........Ian

moorhouse said:
Looks like the code listed for the LSD in the 40th is
220- Locking Differential 40%
as per the options code lists downloaded from here.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info :thumbs:

Does this mean your car has no PSM as per above in this thread?

Will

Hallo again

Yes, has that as well - option code 476.

The following quoted from Adrian Streathers Essential 996 might help explain.

" All 996 models up to and including MY2003 with PSM installed as standard or an option, were not permitted to be fitted with any other sort of rear differential apart from an open one. This was because the mechanical action of the LSD interfered with the operation of the PSM. However, in MY 2004 the GKN company in the UK developed a special low lock value (22/27%) LSD which could be fitted and function as it was required to do without adversely affecting the PSM system. This LSD was first installed as standard on the 911 Anniversary model (40th) and then offered as option X75 from Porsche Exclusiv as either a new car or retrofit kit".

However, it doesn't explain why the option code listed on at least my 40th shows the one for the 40% locking value ie. 220 - maybe they just used this code as it what was in the sytem and it got changed to X75 for a kit for retro fitting or something. I did wonder when I wrote the numbers at 40% in my previous reply as I always understood that there was some form of low lock LSD on the car - re-reading Streather has reminded me where I must have got this idea from. There does appear to be a few random option code allocations within the Porche system I think.

Again, hope this helps - let me know if you need anything more.

Cheers........Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info.

It does seem then as though there's a few grey areas on the VIL/build spec details for some of the special editions etc.

E.g. - your car being an example, listed with a 40% (?) locking diff and being specced with PSM - when as you say it can't be possible going on the other information posted.

Thanks for the update anyway :thumbs:

Will

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back