Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993... London Banger Tax?

My understanding is that anything registered before January 1st 2001 is liable for the extra surcharge of £10 in the London congestion zone excluding the normal congestion surcharge ....... applicable in the hours that the congestion zone operates ...... that will be from October this year.

Technically my car would have been built to Euro 1 standard as that was the relevant standard at the time of build. 993s built after Jan 1996 would likely fall under Euro 2?

If you look at your MOT emissions report, maybe that will tell you whether your car meets Euro 4 standard.

I suspect they will class my car as Euro 1, irrespective of what emissions it actually produces, but it would be interesting to know how we'd argue our case if the car actually met Euro 4, given that Euro 4 was introduced in 2005.

I wish the government would make up their minds about which sorts of cars they like and which they don't.

My XC90 diesel won't be impacted but my 993 will. I thought we didn't like diesels in cities anymore...?

:dont know:

...... in this case it is not the government per se ....... it is tfl and Sadiq Khan the Mayor of London that iare pulling the strings ........

I can't argue with their thought process (although you'd think they should also try to get rid of diesels). The CZ has definitely improved things in London (...waits for certain retired cabbie to disagree...) and working in central London I'm all for anything that reduces the amount of pollution.

Like it or not, electric vehicles are the future of city transport. I envy Tesla and i8 drivers. Cool & geeky.

gunner said:
I wish the government would make up their minds about which sorts of cars they like and which they don't.

My XC90 diesel won't be impacted but my 993 will. I thought we didn't like diesels in cities anymore...?

:dont know:

It isn't the government but rather Citizen Khan on that one. As for your XC90 : there is talk of punitive taxation or outright ban of diesels in London on the horizon, so you will presumably be hoping that they keep dragging their feet on that one...?

[There is already a timeline on diesel bans in cities for a number of cities, including Paris and Mexico City]

Crikey this is the first I've heard about this; fine in principal but it's being rolled out a bit quick if you ask me. Doesnt really give one much time to adjust does it?..

Tobesetc said:
I can't argue with their thought process (although you'd think they should also try to get rid of diesels). The CZ has definitely improved things in London (...waits for certain retired cabbie to disagree...) and working in central London I'm all for anything that reduces the amount of pollution.

Like it or not, electric vehicles are the future of city transport. I envy Tesla and i8 drivers. Cool & geeky.

I have always been in favour of it ....... I wasn't in favour of widening the zone ....... but I would be in favour of doubling the charge ........ lol ...... how little you know of me ...... maybe you have been taking lessons off another poster on these 'ere boards ........ ;)

Tobesetc said:

where does the pollution from these cars go to then? you know, the mountain of electricity they need, its just put somewhere else isn't it?

They aint the future, they may run alongside the existing, but they aint the future.

And them batterys aren't for keeps either. Cost to replace? £10k at present. That's not to say the technology won't improve but that strikes me as being poor VFM right now.

Sorry peeps, but electric drive is the future. Battery's aren't. But other technologies such as fuel cells etc probably are.

As for pollution from the generation... Which really applies to the battery era which isn't the future.. It's still just a fraction of what a combustion engine chuck's out. And not in the city (hell, embrace the current political climate, think selfish).

madalaa said:
Tobesetc said:

I have always been in favour of it ....... I wasn't in favour of widening the zone ....... but I would be in favour of doubling the charge ........ lol ...... how little you know of me ...... maybe you have been taking lessons off another poster on these 'ere boards ........ ;)

I take it all back, sorry! No idea why I thought you'd disagree... Tell you what, by way of apology, I'll get the Uber on Thursday ;-)

:drink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back