Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo - Stability at terminal speeds

911tom

Mugello
So my build is slowly ticking along and just as I think I am approaching the end there is yet more to think about and potentially spend money on.

Can anyone offer advise on improving stability. My car currently sits on standard B4's that have been on the car since new. My current plan is to go full ohlins ideally. This may be over the top. My car will never see the track in anger. That is not what this car is for. It is going to be used on the road and at runway style events where it will see 200MPH+. I need it to be as stable as possible and safe for all the obvious reasons. It could be ohlins are over the top for this purpose but with the cash I have spent so far I do not want to cut corners just to save a few quid.

I have had the car up to 191MPH GPS and it felt very stable. But Ken at 9e has mentioned so many times that this changes when you get to 215MPH.

My car currently sits on the standard turbo twists with standard tyres etc all as porsche intended. It is in standard form with no aero or GT2 body bits.

Can anyone advise whether it is worth going with ohlins?
Should the car sit slightly higher?
Any tricks with camber etc?
Should I be considering aero front splitter or GT2 kit to add some downforce etc?

I also better keep a check on tyres. I am sure sticking with N rated PS2's has got to be the safest thing to do to prevent this;

911tom said:
I also better keep a check on tyres. I am sure sticking with N rated PS2's has got to be the safest thing to do to prevent this;

I was expecting more drama than that, but pleased to see that if we get a blowout at massive speed that it should be controllable!

:eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Agreed. I thought it'd be completely uncontrollable and involve sideways and backwards action at that speed...

Gareth64 said:

Agreed. I thought it'd be completely uncontrollable and involve sideways and backwards action at that speed...

Yes that and a couple of barrel rolls! I think a lot of luck came in to play there.

Now that was a bit more tame then I expected
sleeping.gif

Try this for downforce:

Wing+car1206730419.jpg

:sad:

hsc911 said:
Now that was a bit more tame then I expected
sleeping.gif

Try this for downforce:

Wing+car1206730419.jpg

:sad:

Oh lord what have they created! Problem is it will fall off at 80mph! Jin I am sure you can do me a full GT2 kit cheap enough, you must have the parts in your stores?

911tom said:
Jin I am sure you can do me a full GT2 kit cheap enough, you must have the parts in your stores?

:D

Nearly got a whole 996 GT2 in parts :floor:

:thumb:

911tom said:
Gareth64 said:

Yes that and a couple of barrel rolls! I think a lot of luck came in to play there.

Credit due to PSM I would say.

911tom said:
Can anyone advise whether it is worth going with ohlins?
Should the car sit slightly higher?
Any tricks with camber etc?
Should I be considering aero front splitter or GT2 kit to add some downforce etc?

Hi Tom, naturally there are far more knowledgable people on here than I, and I can't provide opinions on suspension set up... but I would hedge my bets that investing in better aero would be a wise investment at the speed ranges you're aiming for.

1. Potentially and most simply, you could consider something like the addition of an x50 aero kit, especially in reference to the deeper front splitter. Its quite a large appendage compared to our stock Turbo items and you know the factory obviously invested in developing the system.

2. Go for the GT2 bumper / aero / front rad system... I know (from my own experience on our modded Mk1 C2) that the addition of a custom CUP bumper, carbon radiator mounting system that canters the angle of the radiator and modified GT2 rad chimney, does add significant downforce and stability to the front end of a C2 when up in the higher speed ranges... especially when compared directly to my stock body C2.

Naturally you'd need to look to equalise the front / rear aero balance of downforce... but if your targets are in the big league of runway speed runs, I'd say this was a sensible upgrade.

I will add though... its a slippery and expensive slope if you're aiming to remain with OE parts... but you can't take money with you and it'll be a beast of a car! :thumb:

MrB

Worth a chat with centre gravity. When I spoke to them about high speed stability (my turbo seemed to be lacking - and we're talking normal speeds not 215) they immediately pointed to the rake of the car. These car tend to sag down at the rear. The change they made to get closer to factory rake was small but the difference it made to high speed stability was huge.

MrB - Thank you for your comments. I agree Porsche will have invested a lot of time and cash in the design. Far more than anything aftermarket. But yes genuine GT2 parts are crazy money so I may have to wait a while before I commit to that

lofi - I am in talks with centre gravity now. I have a quote from them and they are very reasonable with their pricing and I have heard only good things. I have briefed them on my goals etc.

So centre gravity and definitely look at GT2 kit. :thumbs:

I think you'll be in good hands at CG

Agreed. I visited them a couple of weeks ago - everything good you read about them is true, well, it was for me. They'll get the car you want it.

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back