Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Internet Leak, Is the Cayman GT4 RS on the way ?

Porsche News

Caradvice said:
Cayman GT4 RS: Did a Porsche dealer just leak the brand's next big thing

Oh social media, you can be such a fickle mistress.

Once again the line between customer information and spoiled surprises has been blurred, this time by Porsche Centre Brisbane asking on Instagram for expressions of interest for the 2018 Porsche Cayman GT4 RS 4.0 – though the post has since been removed.

A grand gesture for those who might like to drop a deposit, except there is no Cayman GT4 RS 4.0. At least, not officially.

News of a potential mid-ship tarmac weapon started circulating earlier this year, with rumours suggesting the GT4 RS would be powered by a version of the 4.0-litre flat-six in the bigger-brother GT3 RS.

Given the 3.8-litre Cayman GT4 is currently about 80kg lighter than the GT3 RS, it would be presumed the GT4 engine will be down on power, so as not to show up the 911 GT flagship.

It was expected that the GT4 4.0, if released, would join a series-two 991 GT3 range at the 2017 Geneva motor show, the latter to be offered with an optional manual gearbox.

Could the social media post by PCB have let the cat out of the bag early?

Source: Caradvice

Attachments

• porsche_cayman_gt4_instagram_156.jpg
    porsche_cayman_gt4_instagram_156.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 6,151
I'd be surprised if Porsche Centres were informed more than a day, if at all, before the press embargo was due to lift.

Either way, a 4.0 GT4 would be :food: :cloud9:

That pesky apostrophe strikes again.

Smoke and mirrors. Otherwise my dough would be going down for one :grin:

I am not sure what I make of this as there has been a couple of rumours now though I would be surprised if a dealer would know this information anyway.

Part of me would be p*****d off as I was told that it wouldn't happen when I bought mine but it's also exciting as I'd want one and would hope to get an option.

That said it doesn't bother me in the slightest that the 718s is supposedly as quick as the current gt4 and I thought the chassis made it next to impossible to increase capacity or fit x51 headers due to space.

If they went to the trouble of building a 4L gt4 I assume it would have the full gt3 suspension package and hence probably be quicker.

Wouldn't that be a huge change in attitude from Porsche admitting that the Cayman really is the true sports car.

so why wouldn't they?

stick an RS on a Porsche, that's 500-1,000 easy global sales without having to try and sell them

along with the Cayman GT4 race car, it makes complete sense towards the end of life of the 1st generation 718 series Cayman

There is no reason for them not to other than they suggested they wouldn't and potentially this will make for a quicker car than the 911 gt3.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back