Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Andreas Preuninger: Porsche is not a hedge fund

Porsche News

Few cars have the cage-rattling ability of the Porsche 911 R, the sheer outrage of those denied the opportunity to spend £140,000 on a rare-groove GT 911 variant shocking in its strength. Were those people truly heartbroken at missing out on a great driving experience though? Or was it a less dignified huff by those motivated by a fear of missing out on a healthy return on investment?

If you're among the latter it'd seem R development figurehead and the public face of the Porsche GT department Andreas Preuninger has little sympathy. "We are not a hedge fund," shrugs Preuninger with characteristic bluntness. "We are a company that produces cars, we live because we sell cars and we have to make a profit to go on. So we cannot offer cars with a built-in promise to keep value for a small amount of chosen people, this wouldn't be fair."

And as he points out whatever products come down the line R values are hardly in peril. "The R will stand on its pedestal for ever, as with the 997 GT3 RS 4.0," he says. "With that car it didn't hurt that there was a 991 GT3, it didn't hurt that there was a 991 RS, it didn't hurt that there was an R with a manual gearbox - RS 4.0 values are sky high. It is the same with the R."

After initial rumours of Rs swapping hands for seven figure sums and an awful lot of speculative 'POA' adverts it's hard to pin down the actual transaction prices for those that have been moved on. DK Engineering lists one as sold for £459,995 which, indeed, would make the person who slipped their Official Porsche Centre the £136,901 list price very happy indeed. With 'regular' 997.II 3.8 RS models knocking on £200,000 and 4.0s around double that it would indeed seem your money is safe in these cars.

More encouraging, however, are signs there are owners out there ready to enjoy cars like the R for what they are, not what they represent as part of a portfolio. You get the impression Preuninger and his team would approve.

Dan Trent, Haymarket

Attachments

• andreaspreuninger_420.jpg
    andreaspreuninger_420.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 2,686
It is all very well talking the talk but why not walk the walk and increase production of the so called iconic models. Or even better say there is going to be a limited run and when all the 'hedge funds' have bought, produce some more..............

Pip

What a load of twaddle. :nooo:

If Porsche want to create these fantastic limited run halo cars but only sell them to a select few they could sell them for a lot more initially.

That way the people able to spend stupid money for their museum pieces would get them brand new.

I accept that those who buy these cars to use them might be priced out of the market but realistically how many GT3 RS 4.0 litre and 911R cars are actually used like that?

All Porsche fans love to see these cars on the road/track but most only ever glimpse them at events like the 'Festival of Speed' and as these are usually Porsche owned cars this wouldn't change.

I'd argue that if Porsche sold limited run new cars for £500k instead of £150k they could use the extra profit per unit to keep more back for demonstration purposes and for use at things like The Porsche Experience Centre where more 'ordinary' Porsche enthusiasts could hire a drive.

The only people that would really suffer from my scenario are those that are able to buy the cars at list and sell them on at a huge personal profit.

NB: I'm not referring to the more 'common' specials like the GT3RS models in any of the above. Those cars are available to enthusiasts and (rightly) there's nothing that can be done to stop those owners then selling them on to others for whatever price those people are prepared to pay.

T8 said:
What a load of twaddle. :nooo:

If Porsche want to create these fantastic limited run halo cars but only sell them to a select few they could sell them for a lot more initially.

That way the people able to spend stupid money for their museum pieces would get them brand new.

I accept that those who buy these cars to use them might be priced out of the market but realistically how many GT3 RS 4.0 litre and 911R cars are actually used like that?

All Porsche fans love to see these cars on the road/track but most only ever glimpse them at events like the 'Festival of Speed' and as these are usually Porsche owned cars this wouldn't change.

I'd argue that if Porsche sold limited run new cars for £500k instead of £150k they could use the extra profit per unit to keep more back for demonstration purposes and for use at things like The Porsche Experience Centre where more 'ordinary' Porsche enthusiasts could hire a drive.

The only people that would really suffer from my scenario are those that are able to buy the cars at list and sell them on at a huge personal profit.

NB: I'm not referring to the more 'common' specials like the GT3RS models in any of the above. Those cars are available to enthusiasts and (rightly) there's nothing that can be done to stop those owners then selling them on to others for whatever price those people are prepared to pay.

:agree:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back