Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OEM pirelli PZero on new 991 4S

Just read this:

"Will the N rated Pilot Sport 4 tyres be more like the Pilot Super Sport?

- Yes, as with all Pilot Sport 4, their DNA is purely based on Pilot Super Sport, so the N rated versions will be a great addition to the N rated range. Please note at this point the N rated tyres launched will be focused on new and future Porsche models, not existing vehicles."

I understood from the posts that Pirelli P zeros are the only NRated tyres. I am happy to report that i was able to locate Michelins Sport Cup in N0 and already ordered a set to be delivered from UAE
The porsche dealer here gave a nonchalant attitude towards the complaint and asked me to send it to porsche directly.
I will report when i put on the Michelins (delivery mid Jan)
I also ordered a power Kit and will be happy to report before and after observations (separate topic?)

N rated Michelins

There it is

Attachments

• img_7068_150.jpg
    img_7068_150.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 6,148
I am happy to report that i have just installed the new Michelin n rated tyres instead of the pirelli Pzeros after doing 5000 KM with the pirellis.

Here are the very initial observations:
I am still running the new tyres in so i have only done a couple of hundred Km with them, however it is quite clear that there is an improvement in the steadiness of the neutral position of the steering wheel when driving straight. The car feels a lot more stable in the straight direction. When i had the p zeros i felt i had to switch to sport suspension when driving fast because the steering felt a little wobbly with any bumps or irregularities on the road. This feels different now.

On bumps, the wheels are a lot softer and more comfortable.

Regarding the response on sudden braking, i still cannot confirm the difference. but overall the car feels a lot less brittle and more in touch with the road: more reassuring!
I also re- tried ( only one time) braking distance test that i had previously done with the zero and i think i see a shorter breaking distance in similar situation. But i still need to validate the whole hard-braking situation after i run the tyres in a little bit more.

Initial verdict: a much more re-assuring set of tyres, feels a lot more in contact with the road and overall a less brittle feeling.

Thought would be useful to share

Hazem

So the final verdict, i feel that the contact is back. Much better quality of contact to the road in every aspect. Even when ABS engages, the wheels are biting on the road a lot harder to make the car stop in a demonstrably shorter distance. And the feeling is much more reassured. I am extremely happy that i made the change.

I'm of the same line of thought as others. Your vehicle is a 4 wheel drive and is one of the best for grip and drive. Look on the official Pirelli website for the performance window the P-zero to work at its optimum. I bet it doesn't describe winter temperatures contribute. But I wouldn't concentrate too much on changing to another manufacturer to buy further summer tyres. My advice would be to invest in winter tyres that are designed to operate in low temperatures. The only other option is to accept the limitations and don't drive it like the Stig in winter.

Remember it's just a car and although it may be a Porsche isn't going to make it an F1 car. Plus Porsche test drivers would have ragged the living daylights out of a 911 on all N rated tyres. Advice from me would be to back off the gas and explore more in summer.

Thanks for that MNC911,
Actually i have had the same issue driving in the summer (car delivered Feb 15).
Currently where i live (Egypt), the temp doesn't drop lower than 14 except rarely.
The normal daytime temp here is 19 Celsius
The spongy contact didn't show while driving anywhere close to how the stig would :) and not only at low temperatures
I am sharing what i found to be a problem IMO, and now the problem has been solved with the change to Michelins as i shared before.

Frankly this car, for me, is a dream car and didn't want the tyres to ruin the experience thats why i decided to take the risk and make the change which wasn't cheap. And now it's working well for me after the change; now the car does feel like best in class in terms of grip and contact.
Will check the pirelli website for reference

Oh wow, well for sure they should be really good on paper with those temperatures.

I had a good conversation with Goodyear and their technical design team a few years back, I'm sure if you sent them a email they'd interact with you as to your findings and concerns. Design departments for compounds and the physical design believe it or not do need genuine real world feedback as opposed to test conditions on a given track.

The only other possibilities are with vehicle suspension geometry, power delivery, tyre pressures. Given the way the new 911 design and the fact it's all wheel drive it should stick to the road like chewing gum.

My background comes from high performance motorbikes and I have to admit I felt more planted and confidence with a certain brand and model of tyre. Having said that I was on track with Neil Mckenzie one day at Donnington and he wiped the floor with us on R1's and GSXR1000's whilst he was on a goldwing. Which just goes to show that sometimes (not always) it can be something else and not what we think is the problem. Glad you feel more confident if your tyre change has done the job :thumbs:

MNC911 said:
Having said that I was on track with Neil Mckenzie one day at Donnington and he wiped the floor with us on R1's and GSXR1000's whilst he was on a goldwing. Which just goes to show that sometimes (not always) it can be something else and not what we think is the problem. :thumbs:

Thats priceless. Love it. :worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back