Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Durametric Codes - Help

Another interesting read..deems to be a common issue!

misfire on cold..

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/874203-05-997-1-c4s-misfire-bank-1-a.html

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...1-997-carrera-chronic-check-engine-light.html

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/642679-random-misfire-issues.html

Picked this out of it

I am aware of a similar situation where cold start misfire CELs were a challenge to resolve on a 2006 C2S.

The repair effort was focused on apparent cam timing variances.

A voltage variance (I don't know the details) was finally detected between cam banks and it was determined that an incorrect power lead had been tapped during a PSE retrofit.

the more i read..less its looking like a cat issue... :dont know:

A misfire fault code on 2-3 cyls on the same bank at or just above idle can be caused by the hi lift valve solinoid sticking , these can be intermitant but normally permanent .

Post here about it ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=117589&highlight=

Tappets are possible but a very expensive guess , hard to prove as the lambdas have to warm up before you get active adaptions and the tappets may well clear in that time .

This has all started since the mods i belive so we either have a fault from that or by coincidence something else has failed .

Need to know which cyls are misfiring and if its the same ones after several trips .

This morning i got this

P0300
Misfiring checksum error

P0302
Misfiring cylinder 2

P0303
Misfiring cylinder 3

P0301
Misfiring cylinder 1

When i left work to come home little while ago..no CEL light...so no misfire..

i had the attached on the code reader...not as a fault though...

Attachments

• capture_761.jpg
    capture_761.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 6,809
Ok .. so that points towards the cam solinoids .. can you do a few more runs ( clear codes each time ) so we can confirm its x1 bank only ..

If so then ill go with the hi lift solinoid sticking ..

Post i linked is where i suggested swopping it side to side to prove it .. the fault will transfer to the other bank .

Ignore that test you have shown .. it has certain things you have to do to get them all saying ok .

Also .. what part of the country are you in ?

Demort said:
Ok .. so that points towards the cam solinoids .. can you do a few more runs ( clear codes each time ) so we can confirm its x1 bank only ..

If so then ill go with the hi lift solinoid sticking ..

Post i linked is where i suggested swopping it side to side to prove it .. the fault will transfer to the other bank .

Ignore that test you have shown .. it has certain things you have to do to get them all saying ok .

Also .. what part of the country are you in ?

no more codes since this morning..cars been fine.

heading out again will see how it goes..

i am in London..

I had last night filled up with Tesco super unleaded... and used some injector cleaner...

Car feels allot smoother noticed this straight away..

No miss fire codes so far.. :thumb:

Keep monitoring it and let me know what codes if any you get .

If no misfires then i expect it can be maped without any problems as imho that certainly needs doing .

Btw .. if you are ever going to be in Brighton at a weekend then give me a shout :)

Demort said:
Keep monitoring it and let me know what codes if any you get .

If no misfires then i expect it can be maped without any problems as imho that certainly needs doing .

Btw .. if you are ever going to be in Brighton at a weekend then give me a shout :)

Thanks for the offer - not too far, i may find a weekend to go out for a drive... :thumb:

Yesterday morning i had:

P0420 - BAnk 1 catalytic converter system insufficient
P0300 - Misfiring Checksum Error
P0302 - Misfiring cylinder 2

check engine light flash for anout 5 seconds then went away...

I cleared the codes and car was fine..

this morning plugged the durmatic and did the live readings on the cylinders 1 - 6 and engine roufness..

no CEL light, but for a brief moment i could see 1, 1, 1 maybe 15 times on cylinder 1.

thinking there must be an acceptable amount of misfire before the CEL light come on?

I have extracted the data toi a spreadsheet - adding more values like rpm and temperatures.. just need to make head and tales of what it is..

but close to the point of giving up..

the odd thing is..all these codes started after the standard map was put on..that makes me think its a map \ fueling issue... [/code]

There was a thread a while back about these exhausts being fitted and hesitation problems , it was explained to me about exhaust pressure etc being altered and that a map can help aleviate the problem .

So my first thoughts on this are its to do with that and perhaps the first map didnt fix it :dont know:

So thats 1 possibility , the other is you have a seperate fault thats occured about the same time .

Your lambda / cat fault codes to me at least would indicate the cat not fully functioning , but then its not going to as its far .. hmm .. smaller ? less surface area etc so not going to be as efficient , as far as i know a 100 cell wont pass an mot so i would have though a 200 would be border line ..

Need some experts on that to help out here as its not my area at all im afraid .

With the misfires being on x1 bank then if i had the car at work and it was standard and didnt have all this exhaust fitted then i would already be leaning towards a hi lift solinoid fault , its not easy to prove as you dont get a fault code for it .. hence the swop test , although i dont think its a huge amount of money to just have it replaced .

Anyways .. im happy to have a look at a weekend with your tester and see if anything stands out on the figures ( not going to get dirty though lol ) if you want to travel down south :)

Can guarantee anything but you get a resonably competent Porsche mechanic giveing his opinion for free :D

I do think Demort may be onto something here.

It's ok for the supplier to say 'we have done loads without problems'. It is what they all say when stuff goes wrong inn my experience.

Sometimes chasing a few BHP can cause more problems than it provides.

fair point..took the car today..and got this:

P0420
Bank 1 catalytic converter system insufficient effect

I am booked with Wayne on the 18th march..and need to get this sorted before hand as he said he will only map on the rolling road..

i am thinking about putting the standard cats back on. I will call alex at top gear to see if he can help..have tried calling some of top gears local fitters and they dont really have a clue..one said full day to swap out the cats...!

thinking if i can do it when the car is jacked up i could give this a go myself..

also on the note of the above code, i think the response was this cat works differently and they code out the error - will double check this monday with them

Demort said:
There was a thread a while back about these exhausts being fitted and hesitation problems , it was explained to me about exhaust pressure etc being altered and that a map can help aleviate the problem .

So my first thoughts on this are its to do with that and perhaps the first map didnt fix it :dont know:

So thats 1 possibility , the other is you have a seperate fault thats occured about the same time .

Your lambda / cat fault codes to me at least would indicate the cat not fully functioning , but then its not going to as its far .. hmm .. smaller ? less surface area etc so not going to be as efficient , as far as i know a 100 cell wont pass an mot so i would have though a 200 would be border line ..

Need some experts on that to help out here as its not my area at all im afraid .

With the misfires being on x1 bank then if i had the car at work and it was standard and didnt have all this exhaust fitted then i would already be leaning towards a hi lift solinoid fault , its not easy to prove as you dont get a fault code for it .. hence the swop test , although i dont think its a huge amount of money to just have it replaced .

Anyways .. im happy to have a look at a weekend with your tester and see if anything stands out on the figures ( not going to get dirty though lol ) if you want to travel down south :)

Can guarantee anything but you get a resonably competent Porsche mechanic giveing his opinion for free :D

was that an offer to help me get get my standard cats back on to see if it fixes the issue.. :D

was speaking to someone else who said the o2 sensors will through this error of inefficiency as the sensors are expecting the original 400 cell cats to be in place..

no misfire today...thinking is weather related maybe as its getting warmer

There a couple of threads on Rennlist relating to those CEL error codes and 200 cell cats.

One ended up replacing the cats back to standard, the other suggests the pre-cat lambda sensor and post=cat lambda sensors are expecting to see a certain signal in respect to each other. When they don't (due to a cat fault) it triggers a CEL error.

HTH

I think you can even get lambda sensors with mini cats built in these days .

It doesnt matter though as that code has nothing to do with running issues .. its to say the cats aint much good :)

Weathers not that nice outside my house atm but if your that stuck then you bring the tools and we can jack it up and replace them outside my house , have to be this weekend as im working the next .. and it had better not be raining , i hate working in the rain lol ....

And thats not an offer i normally make but you have had your fair share of grief here so i dont mind helping.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back