Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Evo Mag Track Leaderboard: 911 [991.1] GT3 RS

Porsche News

Evo Magazine Verdict

The Generation 1 Porsche 991 [911] to wear the historic Rennsport badge (sticker) is a credit to the breed. It is fearsomely fast and crushingly capable, but it has also re-found some of those wonderfully interactive Porsche traits that we feared might have been lost for good. It also remains something of a bargain... if you managed to get your name on the list for one.

Porsche has been surprised at how many miles owners are covering in their standard GT3s and given this, I think they may be equally surprised by how many miles are racked up in new RSs.the plastic rear screen and aggressive spec, the RS feels like a very habitable place, with a beautifully trimmed cabin and there is a much less Spartan feeling when compared to previous generation RSs or indeed a 458 Speciale.

The other big factor in the increased usability of GT3s is the PDK gearbox. While it might have been fitted in the pursuit of faster lap times around the 'Ring, there is no denying that it also makes life much easier in traffic on the ring road.

Performance and 0-62mph time > Only marginally quicker than the 991 GT3 that spawns it, but it delivers that performance with a different character.

Engine and gearbox > Expanded to 4-litres, the GT3's output swells to 493bhp, but the RS now feels brawnier throughout the rev range. The PDK transmission is ruthlessly fast.

Ride and handling > Massive grip, but not so much that it's less exciting – if anything, it adds to the experience. Finally, we've got some proper steering feel in the 991 too.

MPG and running costs > You can't expect a car like this to be too cheap to run, so few owners will be too disappointed with 22mpg combined economy.

Prices, specs and rivals > By Porsche 911 standards, the GT3 RS is quite expensive. By the standards of cars similar thrills and performance, it looks fairly good value.

Interior and tech > The standard 911 cabin is enlivened nicely by 918 Spyder-inspired seats and steering wheel, along with a roll cage, fabric door pulls and other typical RS accoutrements.

Design > An enormous wing, vented wheel arches, deep front splitter and enormous wheels all add visual aggression to the GT3's basic shape. :thumb:

Attachments

• dsc_6639_46890_0_274.jpg
    dsc_6639_46890_0_274.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,469
That's a pretty good write up....and I do concur on 95% of it.

..it just lacks a bit of soul...just like all the ultra modern 488's, Huracan's and
McLaren's of this new world. :roll:

Strangely, the GT4 Clubsport has this feature in absolute abundance... it's
stupid high gearing kind of makes it quirky. But, bring out the 997 and omg..
that's the 'soul king' !.

I saw a McLaren on the way to work the other day on the M25. I thought it looked great! So when I got home I hit The Internet, and couldn't for the life of me work out what it was that I had seen. Apart from the F1, P1 and MP4C they all look identical to me :dont know:

I'm really hoping the weather warms up soon, so I can get out and drive my old banger, when it's cold I just want to stay indoors with the heating turned up ... :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back