Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Wheels

BHZ661 said:
Cantre caps look very nice , :thumbs:

Cheers buddy, I have had them for almost 3 months now so am quite excited about them finally going on the car. :thumb:

One more thing... Anybody have any idea how I might best go about cleaning up the rust and debris out of 76 bolts. I was going to get new ones but original bbs bolts are £30 for 10 and I need 76. Somebody recommended soaking them in coka cola for 24 hours but is that really a thing?

I have wet sanded and polished the heads of a couple and they will come up but its time consuming even with a dremel.

Yes they'll look ace once the car is sitting right. Wheels and ride height make a car.
Fastest way to clean bolts is a wire wheel disc on a bench grinder but is a bit of an extravagance if you don't already own one. Plus you still might not get all the dirt out of the heads.
Never used coke but it probably would work.
I use rust remover solution and leave over night but there's loads about using vinegar on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/Bu5RZv4ntzA

Looks like the BBS gods have stepped in and put a stop to my fun. I don't have a 12spline 8mm socket and cant find one anywhere locally to put them back together. (I bought them in pieces). I have ordered one but I am looking at more than a week :(

The vinegar did an ok job on the clean up btw, that combined with a drill in vice did the job nicely.

VinceB said:
BHZ661 said:
Cantre caps look very nice , :thumbs:

Cheers buddy, I have had them for almost 3 months now so am quite excited about them finally going on the car. :thumb:

Nice work :thumb: as a keen diy wheel refurbisher I have wheels for months sometimes years before they make it on to a car :roll: :oops:

Marky911 said:
Always adhere to the 6 P's Vince.

Proper planning prevents piss poor performance. :D

I bought this set off eBay. Arrived very quickly. As long as you're sorted though.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPLINE-BIT-...%3A09a7aa3215a0a5e2a5616384ff9cf15b%7Ciid%3A1

Glad the vinegar done something anyway. :thumb:

I am almost embarrassed, I have literally hundreds of bits and about 3 different sets and nothing fits snugly. Ahh well a tool is on the way. Out of interest what torque are you doing them back up at? I read that 20nm is about right?

Ha, nothing to be embarrassed about man. I'm just winding you up. :D
They're an oddball really, hence me having to buy the spline bit too.

I've read a bit less than 20lbft. 15 ish usually and some people loctite them, some don't.
This thread is handy. GT3 wheels but same bolts and construction as yours.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=576354

Finally tonight after much waiting and messing about they are back together and ready to go on the car:

As you know I bought them already split and in hindsight I probably wouldn't do that again. I have just spent the last two hours drilling and inserting helicoils into 4 bolts that wouldn't make the 15nm spec.

Tomorrow they go on the car so some more pictures then. For what it is worth the bbs bolts are indeed a 1mm thread pitch if you had a look at the other thread :)

I used thread lock on all the bolts and torqued them all up and we are good to go. I didn't bother with any sealant or anything like that as I figured its quite fun and not that much work to strip them down again later on and try something different. :thumbs:

Vince they look stunning m8!!

great stuff

Osh

Osh said:

great stuff

Osh

I am not sure, I think they will grow on me. Once the stance is sorted then I think they are the right choice. The car just needs a little more purpose to make them work I think.

VinceB said:
Osh said:

great stuff

Osh

I am not sure, I think they will grow on me. Once the stance is sorted then I think they are the right choice. The car just needs a little more purpose to make them work I think.

They will work better once you've got the car sitting lower, with the standard offsets wheel spacers would also help, wheel centre colour is a little 'safe' but look great :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back