Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Museum Stuttgart

Hizza

Hi all. I'm thinking of taking the Carrera to the Porsche Museum in the spring. Can anyone recommend a hotel for two or three nights, not necessarily close to the museum? Also - assuming an early start from Calais, can I get there in a day of driving or is it worth breaking the journey with an overnighter beforehand? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks! 😸

Calais to Porschplatz - 464 miles - long day but, easily done.

I regularly drive to the far end of Switzerland - take the 03:30 boat, docks around 06:15 - just coming light and then just crack on :wink:

Can't help on specific hotels but, there are plenty of Ibis ones nearby

As 997man says, just crack on :)

I've not taken the Porsche but every year I go somewhere in continental europe with my bike and skirted around Stuttgart last year, lovely part of the world.

Germany is a wonderful place with its culture and the beer :wink:

What I do is just roll the dice and go. Went through Belgium then passed Frankfurt and stayed in Heidelberg for one night before heading down to the Black Forest region and on to Bavaria. Wonderful except it rained :nooo:

Take your time, there's so much to see.

Spa in Belgium is nice and maybe work the trip around an event there. Reims in France is a great city for a night out.

There's so much the list is endless.

Good luck. The planning is great fun

:thumb:

I generally stop at Nurburgring on the way. Have done it with and without an overnight.

Getting the Channel Crossing out of the way the day before means that Calais to Stuttgart in a day is very easily do-able.

Last September I went from Kent and if I ever did it again I'd probably stop somewhere en-route.

This summary of my trip may be of interest.

" ....... before heading off to board our 07.20 train. We arrived in Calais at 08.55 European time with 464 road miles ahead of us our small convoy headed to our first proper stop - in Luxembourg.

A couple of diversions to avoid traffic were made but our first stint went without any hitches and we stopped for a brief 'comfort break' just past the Brussels Ring Road 149 miles in to our journey.

A similarly painless 121 motorway miles at a steady 85/90 mph got us to the excellent Aral Berchem Service Area in Luxembourg for 13.40.

The next couple of hours motorway cruising were punctuated by various minor roadwork hold-ups so a brief pee and stretch stop was welcome after 114 miles by which time we were all pleased to note that our Zuffenhausen Hotel was only 80 miles away.

Frustratingly every bit of derestricted autobahn seemed to coincide with a line of lorries so one single blip up to 150 mph was all I managed.

The approach to Stuttgart, mid-week in the late afternoon, was always going to be a bit busy and so it transpired with that last 80 miles taking nearly two hours meaning that we'd spent over 10 hours in the saddle that day.

It was great fun but this particular old geezer will be definitely be setting himself an 9 hour a day driving limit for any future trips."

Have fun :thumbs:

I forgot to mention the autobahn. Silly me :wack:

Well done T8. 150mph is difficult to achieve as you say, the bl00dy lorries are everywhere :roll:

I've managed to get a fair bit north of 150 and it was terrifying :mrgreen:

Autobahn is part of the fun of going. Sometimes you can't really get going, but it can be great. Seen 295 km/h on the speedo.

I'm driving mine down to the Monaco GP in May and stopping at the museum on the way home. I'm going to take 10 days for the trip so I can do the Stelvio pass etc. I can't wait.

Anyone know of any 'gems' to drive along or visit, I'd love to know.

Les said:
I'm driving mine down to the Monaco GP in May and stopping at the museum on the way home. I'm going to take 10 days for the trip so I can do the Stelvio pass etc. I can't wait.

By all means do Stelvio, but don`t expect it to be an epic drive, I mean it has to be done but there are so many better passes to do.

We used the Abbaco hotel for the museum, easy access into Stuttgart and nice Porsche pictures in the rooms :)

We stayed in a nice hotel with a secure underground car park last year, but can't remember the name of it. Drop Longers a PM, he booked it.

chaser said:
Les said:

By all means do Stelvio, but don`t expect it to be an epic drive, I mean it has to be done but there are so many better passes to do.

We used the Abbaco hotel for the museum, easy access into Stuttgart and nice Porsche pictures in the rooms :)

The Fluela Pass from Davos towards the Stelvio Pass is a good one as well..

I've broken the journey to Stuttgart at either Cologne or Luxembourg in the past. There is a good section of unrestricted Autobahn head in from Luxembourg towards Hockenheim, but traffic does tend to be heavier from around Karlsruhe and south from there..

Did a trip to the Museum in May 15, Leicestershire to Stuttgart in a day (via Cologne to collect a watch - the middle one in the pic Heuer Monza re-edition)

We stayed at the Mercure City Centre a few kms from the museum underground parking and the rooms & corridors are Porsche/Motorsport themed, also id recommend the steaks at http://block-house.de

We did it last July.

Leicester to Brugge.

Brugge to stuttgart via place called Stein (holland) and nurburgring.

From Stuttgart to Reims via black forest

Reims back home.

Stayed in Mercure in stuttgart - visited both porsche and merc museums.

Would do it all again :D

Doing monza in august for f1, driving from France on the Wednesday arriving Monza Friday and setting back Monday with 2 days to get back to Calais, any ideas on routes or things to see would be appropriated!! Never done a trip like this 6 cars including 4 porsches.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back