Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo trouble

No experience with Porsche turbos but it sounds like all the boost is going down the wastegate. Have you tried taking the vacuum pipe off and see if it boosts?

Yes a worn turbo will do this as it won't give enough pressure to close the wastegate valve but it was working before you dismantled it so can't see that being the problem. :dont know:

Actuator stuck is my bet, probably with carbon crud. You could run a bottle of forte through as a cheap fix first.

No knowledge at all, just a wild guess and hope it's an easy fix

:thumb:

Thanks guys for your input, as you can imagine I'm clutching at straws as well.
I've put a bottle of cleaner in but only done a few miles (50).
I think the actuators are the problem, or in this case one of them.
I've got a PIWIS cable on order but it hasn't arrived yet.

easternjets said:
Thanks guys for your input, as you can imagine I'm clutching at straws as well.
I've put a bottle of cleaner in but only done a few miles (50).
I think the actuators are the problem, or in this case one of them.
I've got a PIWIS cable on order but it hasn't arrived yet.

In failing that there's always the hammer :pc:

Best tool you can buy :lol:

My gen 1 will show between 0.6 and 0.8 usually in non sport mode depending on how aggressively I floor it during normal driving.

I did have a problem once where it would never show more than 0.4, and the turbo did sound a lot louder than normal. This was traced to a boost leak on one of the intercooler pipes. The garage fixed that and all was well. What was happening was, the car would try and boost to normal levels, but once it detected a problem it switched to a kind of limp mode where it wouldnt boost over 0.4, until you did an ignition on/off then it would try again etc.

It should be fairly easy to check for boost leaks, and at least that would rule that problem out.

If the turbo blade etc seems fine then check the actuators would be my next port of call. Surprised your garage didnt do that tho...

The actuators are in good condition, free movement and very little corrosion if any on the actual rods.
I had both actuators off when I was doing the plug/coils and when I drove the car for the first time I accelerated and blew off the LHS intercooler pipe from the turbo to the intercooler, the car started running like cr@p so I got it home and refitted the pipe. It's been after that incident that all this has happened.

I too thought about leaks from pipes or intercoolers but I'm just trying to find a fault to fix.

Going to see what happens if I isolate one side and run it up on boost.

Hi Nick, sorry you are have this turbo issue as a result of the coil pack problem.

Not sure if it is helpful but I spoke to Turbo Solutions in Darlington (01325 485800) about my daughter's BMW X5 and they were very helpful. If they don't have the diagnostic experience, either PM Satch on here (Alistair's business is diagnostics) or speak to Turbo Newcastle (0191 5872 a very small outfit but they seem to have a good level of expertise).

You may already have your PIWIS and have the solution?

I suppose you need to do the last coil pack before the recalibration?

Good luck anyway, cheers, Keith.

Hi Keith, I actually visited Turbo solutions in Darlington when I found the oil traces in the inlet pipe, since then others have assured me it's fairly common.
I bit the bullet and did the last coil pack on Tuesday before going to Redline on Wednesday. They did a reset as mentioned and TBH I drove it the other day and apart from a bit of a delay in the turbo's coming in it seems to be improved.
When I get this elusive cable I've been told to do a reset on the actuators, so I will and see if that makes an improvement.
As I mentioned in a PM to another member, I've done that much all at the same time that ruling out things is very difficult but it has been a great learning experience although the old saying 'a little knowledge is dangerous' springs to mind!
At the PCGB meeting the other night Mike from OPC Newcastle was going on about the deals they have on spares for the older models, i'm sitting there biting my tongue, their parts are ridiculously over priced but what can you say.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steamy
Back