Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Press clutch at start up - sometimes not working

Wouldnt it be an idea to fit a small surface mount push switch somewhere as a backup so if all fails then push hold switch and turn key?? As an emergency !!!

i may just carry this out as iv always thought of this going wrong one day!!

j

Or just change the small switch unit (circa £20 and 5 mins) every 10-15 years and 80-100k miles once it (might) actually fail :dont know:

-- 997 -- said:
Wouldnt it be an idea to fit a small surface mount push switch somewhere as a backup so if all fails then push hold switch and turn key?? As an emergency !!!

i may just carry this out as iv always thought of this going wrong one day!!

j

all you need is 2 female spade connectors and a 10cm length of wire, but as the oracle says failure is rare however can be greatly inconvenient, however carrying fixes for all the possible issues on a 997 could add some weight

Spare M96/M97 :?:

(there's room in the front)

just to confirm this thread was about the white CLUTCH PEDAL STARTING MICROSWITCH which senses the clutch pedal position for starting the car....i think it is the red clutch sensor position switch which disengages cruise control ( as per the one GT4 has replaced in his other thread ) and this i assume expkains why i am still alive and had no rpoblems with my CC when the microswitch failed

Correct, it was only when I actually came to order one, I noticed the PN in your post did not match.

The clutch (unlike the brake) has two switches.

One to detect immediate movement (ie to disengage CC, this is the same as the brake, so as to light the brake lamps etc)

The other is to detect FULL depression, so as to allow engine starting.

The latter can be "shorted" (bridged) with relative safety, as it then just renders the car as dumb as older cars that did not check you had depreseed the clutch before driving the car into a wall on the starter :grin:

For the record:

Immediate Switch (CC) = circa £10-15

G99661311401.jpg

(you can use the same part number as the brake switch, the red shell is just cosmetic)

Full Depression Switch (Start) = circa £20-25

s-l300.jpg

Apologies, I searched your thread to obtain info on replacement part, and assumed it was the same issue.

really no need to apologise chaps, i have learnt so much from both of you :thumb:

Might be a good idea for my "to do" list and permanently link the ***** out, as previously said if you try to start the car in gear in front of a wall the it's your own daft fault :hand:

Had my clutch switch replaced under warranty just before Xmas...toegther with the window actuators which needs looking at again. Both common problems!

Just to update:

GSF switch returned for full refund.

The "cheap" copy did not have the same spring "feelers" of OEM and the unit wobbled in the bracket, and there was a noticeable delay in its action where the revs would rise by 500 rpm before CC disabled after clutch action.

I say "cheap", but that was more a reflection of the quality, as ironically, on calling OPC Cambridge parts this am the price was the same to within 20p!

GSF:
1996_2585.jpg

Porsche:
G99661311401.jpg

In addition, it was only on removing the original it was apparent the switch unit clipped together.

The press tabs more obvious on the red shell over black.

So I popped open with a small screwdriver and noted the grot covering the contacts (a combination if copper swarf/arc products, grease and dirt/dust), so I cleaned off with WD-40 and IPA using an old tooth brush.

Once re-greased with new silicone grease, I stretched the internal spring a bit to increase the "break" force (ie the contact separation) and reassembled.

Popped the unit back in the car and after 40 mins of testing and several dozen CC trials, all is well.

So I have saved the planet (one small switch at a time) :thumbs:

i hope you got a refund on the duff switch ?

edit: yes you did as you said that in your post...i blame the wife for talking to me about her day whilst i was trying to read the important forum. My apologies, i have locked her outside now.

I hope you read the post?

(I only hid the required information in the second line)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back