Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911uk - Back to School!!! Teachers and students needed

Gareth64

Silverstone
Afternoon all,

Here's an idea - not sure whether it's been suggested before so here goes...

Now, I know lots of you do your own work on your Porsches, whether it's simple oil and filter changes all the way up to serious engine out and suspension work etc. This is fantastic and a really good way to get to know your cars! I also know there are lots of you who would love to work on your own cars but, even with expert guidance from you all and videos etc, are still unsure about taking bits off their 911s!

I for one would love to do this work but I just feel like having someone there to show me once and offer on the spot guidance if necessary would be invaluable. I'd take notes and pictures so I could do the same job again. It's just if you were unsure at any point mid-job or you made a mistake and didn't know what to do when doing it yourself that is the main problem!

So... I wondered if there were, say, 3-4 people in an area all wanting to do the same job on their cars, whether a resident and local expert, aka one of you, would be able to be present and guide and assist where necessary? We'd just have to meet somewhere local to the group.

So what's in it for the teacher? Well I would be happy to split the cost of the same parts for the 'teacher' with the other 'students' so effectively he gets the parts for free.

Perhaps the following areas could be looked at as and when needed:

1. Oil and filter change
2. Brake pads and discs
3. Condensers and/radiators
4. Plugs and coil packs

Now this may not be a runner at all but I'm sure there would be the interest from prospective 'students' here?

Any thoughts???

I would like someone to show me how to get front PU off , to do the radiator clean up. I've watched the videos , but lack the confidence , even though it doesn't look too hard

:mechanic:

If the jobs are done all in one hit it would work, no good for me who does things an hour at a time. I will be doing a comprehensive write up on a PSE fitment soon though, which I was unable to find online.

MC

ragpicker said:
I don't know much but would be up for helping out if needed... :dont know:

Cough .. dont know much .. cough ..

An understatement if ever i herd one :grin:

OP, good idea.

I can see a couple of issues, space - servicing four or five cars will need a fair bit of space, timing - not all people will be at the same maintenance stage. The tasks you mention could all be done in one day, but not everyones pads will be worn out at the same time.

Happy to help if I can, Bristol based.

Captain Lockheed said:
OP, good idea.

I can see a couple of issues, space - servicing four or five cars will need a fair bit of space, timing - not all people will be at the same maintenance stage. The tasks you mention could all be done in one day, but not everyones pads will be worn out at the same time.

Happy to help if I can, Bristol based.

Thanks. Yeah, I figured it would be tough to coordinate. Just testing the water really... I would love to do the above listed work myself and I can follow a video/written instructions of course, its just if something happens that's not in the walk-through then there's a car in bits with no-one on hand to help !!! I'm sure that why lots of people don't take the plunge with DIY on their cars!

Demort said:
ragpicker said:
I don't know much but would be up for helping out if needed... :dont know:

Cough .. dont know much .. cough ..

An understatement if ever i herd one :grin:

Compliment accepted mate, cheers! :D

Regarding space - if there is a group which develops up near me they are welcome to come here. I've got a lift in my garage and enough room for half a dozen cars... People could take turns whilst the others watch on gorging on bacon butties...Would be pretty cool to do a little car clinic one weekend!

it was only a few months ago I had an idea similar to this but rather than have a teacher present I was going to build a web app with a virtual teacher to show you what to do in a very visual and interactive way.

Still planning to follow through on this.....one day

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back