Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlamp washers not working

seeforez

Barcelona
I have just realised that in the last year and a half i have never seen my headlamp washers operate...so i tried them yesterday and they dont work.

i'm not too fussed tbh as they make a mess when the car has just been cleaned so in 2 minds if i fix them or not, obv i assume its an inner wing out job to get to the pump or front light out to get to the nozzles?
is there anything easy to check first e.g a live feed anywhere or water pressure

yes sidelights, then headlights and it was dark and the lines werent frozen and i pulled the stalk for 10 secs and soaked my clean car :sad:

Do you mean you pulled the stalk TEN times?

Because that is the count, not time (doesn't matter how short, 10th pull will trigger one-shot headlamp wash irrespective of duration)

Headlamp washers are one of the things that drop out of DME settings after a battery change and before you start chasing a fault you need to make sure this hasn't happened.

:)

GT4 said:

Because that is the count, not time (doesn't matter how short, 10th pull will trigger one-shot headlamp wash irrespective of duration)

erm...no i meant 10 seconds in one go obviously in the year and half of ownership i have surpassed the 10 squirt mark on several trips - but anyway i thought the one long squirt overrode the 10 short squirts rule ?

Duffy said:
Headlamp washers are one of the things that drop out of DME settings after a battery change and before you start chasing a fault you need to make sure this hasn't happened.

that seems to make sense and sounds more like it as i did change the battery after the Molly Dolly died on me - i assume its an Indy PIWIS job to check this?

seeforez said:
GT4 said:

erm...no i meant 10 seconds in one go obviously in the year and half of ownership i have surpassed the 10 squirt mark on several trips - but anyway i thought the one long squirt overrode the 10 short squirts rule ?

I didn't suggest you hadn't, what I meant was your testing process should include the 10 squirt count.

And I suspect you haven't.

Always best to check the user has turned the PC on before jumping to reinstalling OS

Mine have never worked via the windscreen wash function, however there is the "tsunami" button - have you tried that?

Attachments

• img_6204_579.jpg
    img_6204_579.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 5,301
Good point however i'm still with my logic over yours also i'm not doing the 10 squirt rule now as i have just cleaned up the dribble after testing the 10 second blast...

Mine didn't work about a month ago. The "tsunami button" just caused water to come out of panel gaps and run all over the drive.

I followed the instructions in the manual to get the headlight unit out (quite simple on Gen 2 - presume similar on Gen 1?). I found that the feed from the bottle connects onto a tube behind the headlight. This tube then disappears out of sight. I think you 'd need either bumper off or sidelight out (the second being easier on Gen 1 than Gen 2 apparently) to get a better look at what goes on after that point. In my case the pipe coming from the bottle had disconnected from the tube that disappears down under the headlight so the water was just squirting inside the panels. At least this meant that my pump was working - I just needed to create a new clip to hold the pipe back on. This was all on the nearside of the car. When I took the offside headlight out there was nothing much to see.

I'm not sure you're up to this point yet though. Looks like you need to find out whether or not the pump is even working, let alone getting the water to the right place.

Good Luck!

seeforez said:
Duffy said:

that seems to make sense and sounds more like it as i did change the battery after the Molly Dolly died on me - i assume its an Indy PIWIS job to check this?

Yes it is

rpm said:
Mine have never worked via the windscreen wash function, however there is the "tsunami" button - have you tried that?

what...i didn't even know i had a tsunami button, all this time being tall it just isn't visible from my eye angle. i have just checked and i have one

i think that could just fix it - thanks :thumb:

I had a similar issue with washers not working and water leaking from nearside. Removed front bumper and replaced washer unit. my experience led to 2 conclusions firstly, you can change unit without removing front bumper through sidelight aperture if you have patience and small hands (I used my daughter) and secondly, after buying a replacement unit I discovered that the head unit separates from the main unit and that was the bit that was blocked some descaler cleared the jet and I now have a spare. I suppose I also learned that living in the hardest water area of Britain tap water was asking for trouble, I now use water from the dehumidifier or distilled.

So I suggest that you should carefully remove the head unit from the main washer and test the washers again if they squirt water the either clean or replace the head units. If not the fault lies elsewhere.

thanks i dont have any leaks though so i am hoping for the tsunami button :eh!:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back