Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Kline exhaust but old tips need a good clean

silvermilnec

Albert Park
I've just purchased a Kline exhaust but wanted to keep the standard tips for my turbo.
I run a fleet of vehicles and the garage who look after them is doing it for me with a little help from me lol

Im lucky that we can use a ramp for a few days and take our time doing it.

While it's off and having time i'd like to get the inside of the tips factory fresh, what would you guys suggest? I know motorbike guys use caustic soda to clean all the carbon.

Cheers as always.

Good move on the Kline zorst. You'll love it.

I bought the carbon tips with mine but still can't decide if the OE look better. I've got the carbon tips on now and they're growing on me.

Regarding cleaning up your OE tips. Form what I've heard the chrome on them is pretty thin and is easily breached with over zealous cleaning. I'd try an ultra sonic bath. It's a bit less aggressive than caustic. See how they come up. Maybe a re chrome would bring them up dandy. . . . If it's an option.

Norfolk & Idea said:

I bought the carbon tips with mine but still can't decide if the OE look better. I've got the carbon tips on now and they're growing on me.

Regarding cleaning up your OE tips. Form what I've heard the chrome on them is pretty thin and is easily breached with over zealous cleaning. I'd try an ultra sonic bath. It's a bit less aggressive than caustic. See how they come up. Maybe a re chrome would bring them up dandy. . . . If it's an option.

Anything an option, I love shiny bits :floor: It can't cost that much they aren't that big. I need to take a closer look, aren't they stainless inside and chrome on the outside? it's the inside that got allot of carbon, i'm a clean freak and have never got on top of it since buying the car.

Yes I think it's chrome over stainless. I used clean mine after every spin. I know, I know.... kept em clean though. They're in the loft now with OE system.

Autosol is your friend here :thumb:

Mine are in need of doing but it's on the driveway and I can't be bothered in the winter.

There's something about having a dirty Porsche :grin:

Norfolk & Idea said:

'Norfolk'
Which carbon tips do you have ? Any pics on the car ?

I have Kline tips but quite fancy the oval tips GT2 style efforts ...

Terry

Alfaian said:
Autosol is your friend here :thumb:

Mine are in need of doing but it's on the driveway and I can't be bothered in the winter.

There's something about having a dirty Porsche :grin:
I've used autosol and a number of others but when I bought the car in July it hadn't been a garage queen and inside the pipes it's all carboned up. I've even had a go with autosol and wire wool and it's still not fully clean. Just thought while they are off I could get them sorted. I like the idea of getting them re-chromed anyone done this?

Norfolk & Idea said:
Yes I think it's chrome over stainless. I used clean mine after every spin. I know, I know.... kept em clean though. They're in the loft now with OE system.
I see your South Yorkshire I'm in Leeds do you get to any meets with guys from on here?

Just done mine, Wet and Dry and Autosol :)

You can get most of the carbon off on the inside but its a bugg3r!

Attachments

• img_4013_150.jpg
    img_4013_150.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 3,159
  • img_4014_199.jpg
    img_4014_199.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 3,159
  • img_4076_548.jpg
    img_4076_548.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 3,159
  • img_4078_256.jpg
    img_4078_256.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 3,159
Guys how easy is it to take the tips off?

The bolts are probably rusted and might just snap when u try to undo them, mine did. Have replaced both wih stainless steel ones now. There is also a brass collar on the inside which was corroded on mine but u can't buy spares without buying the tips themselves so on refitting I had to piece it back together and hammer back on. Takes some wiggling and tapping to get on and off but other than that easy enough

Mikee Quickstep said:
The bolts are probably rusted and might just snap when u try to undo them, mine did. Have replaced both wih stainless steel ones now. There is also a brass collar on the inside which was corroded on mine but u can't buy spares without buying the tips themselves so on refitting I had to piece it back together and hammer back on. Takes some wiggling and tapping to get on and off but other than that easy enough

It's a turbo, so different :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back