Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thank heavens for a Porsche Warranty

Another £1.5-£2k 'saved' this week.

At a recent PCGB 'Health Check' the technician pointed out that I had a another misting oil leak, this time from a joint near to the Bank 2 Oil Pump.

A few days later my 'Check engine -Drive to Workshop' light came on prompting me to book the car in and get both things sorted.

I picked the car up today with a new battery to engine earth strip fitted (a long job) and a new Oil Pump.

I don't know whether it is just psychological but the car seems to be running better than it ever has in the 8 months/5k miles I've owned it. :thumb:

Glad you have that warranty. Do you think you bought a dud? I ask because I bought mine in June and the only thing its cost me is petrol.

apollokre1d said:
Do you think you bought a dud?

I ask because I bought mine in June and the only thing its cost me is petrol.

I don't think so.

When I bought the car it had full OPC History, had just been given it's big 8 year/major service and all the items needed to pass the 111 point check and get a warranty had been done.

Straight after the purchase I took it to my favoured Indy for a once over and it was given a massive :thumb: .

If I'd just run it the only thing that would have come up would have been the recent 'engine warning - drive to workshop' light which would have caused me to have the battery earth strap replaced.

The spoiler malfunction was very intermittent - one drive in seven - and always worked again after the ignition had been turned off.

Many owners don't have their car inspected on ramps from one service to the next, except for MOTs, but by having mine up twice in 8 months the technicians have seen things that I never would have. Neither the gearbox or the oil pump were dripping oil and both were working perfectly well.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are hundreds of 911s currently running around between their service dates and needing things doing like mine has had done.

BUT, just in case, my next 16 months and 12k miles will definitely be done with a warranty in place. :D

Indeed, there may be loads of cars (including my own) out there with issues that we just are not aware of.

Given how much you have saved under warranty, what will you do when you can no longer renew it? Do you think you you'll sell for a Gen 2 given the millage you do?

You're worrying me now, mine had decent Pre-sales check from where I bought it (911v) and a freebie OPC health check at OPC Brooklands in the past few months and it's having another check next weekend at my favourite Indy, all in preparation for another U turn and not renewing my OPC warranty in January :?

apollokre1d said:
Given how much you have saved under warranty, what will you do when you can no longer renew it? Do you think you you'll sell for a Gen 2 given the millage you do?

This car will be my last 'proper' 911 Turbo but as to how long I'll keep it ..... :dont know:

If in 16 months time it's become a 'Triggers Broom' I'll probably keep it a long time :grin: , otherwise I'll be back in a Carrera.

MJA911 said:
You're worrying me now, mine had decent Pre-sales check from where I bought it (911v) and a freebie OPC health check in the past few months and it's having another check next weekend at my favourite Indy, all in preparation for another U turn and not renewing my OPC warranty in January :?

I would not stress too much about it... there are loads of good alternatives to an OPC replacing parts that can be properly fixed.

T8 said:
If in 16 months time it's become a 'Triggers Broom' I'll probably keep it a long time :grin: , otherwise I'll be back in a Carrera.

Love the analogy :)

I'm not sure what an air con compressor + fitting costs but I bet I'll be recouping most of this years premium in one hit. :dont know:

I think I paid £220 for a new compressor on my 996 (+£30 for a dryer and an expansion valve) and it took me an hour to fit, also I paid a air con guy £45 to blow the debris out of the lines and recharge.

But if I couldn't do it myself I would be glad if someone else paid :D

T8 said:
I'm not sure what an air con compressor + fitting costs but I bet I'll be recouping most of this years premium in one hit. :dont know:

I had something similar which OPC said was around £600. But I also got a new boxster to drive whilst mine was being sorted, not to mention the coffees etc.

I think its just peace of mind and with OPC looking after it, less hassle - which I like.

996ttalot said:
Well Porsche replace the box, we replace the gaskets - we had them made because they are not available from Porsche. So in the real world the cost is £1395+vat sorted, or in the Porsche Land it is 5 figures. :D

Anyway good result for you.

That's always worth knowing for us tip drivers, :thumb: :grin:

T8 said:

If I didn't recoup all of this years premium with my air-con compressor replacement I'm pretty sure that an engine drop to sort out an oil leak from the top of the engine did. :D

When on the ramps having a free 'health check' during the compressor replacement the technician identified a misty weep. It wasn't dripping and without being on a ramp it wasn't visible.

I had 2 weeks/750+ miles in a nearly new Macan Diesel S and then a week/200 miles in a nearly new Cayenne whilst they sorted it.

Since I got it back a fortnight ago I've done 1,400 miles at an average speed of 52 mph and it all seems better than ever with just a 200 ml top up required when I got back from my trip to Germany.

I'm pretty sure I've had my money's worth already but I've still got the peace of mind of 16 months cover left. :D

Good to hear/read it's all sorted now Terry, and to hear she feels better than ever.

As a 911 Turbo driver what were your thoughts on the Macan and Cayenne over the few weeks of temporary ownership?

T8 said:
If I didn't recoup all of this years premium with my air-con compressor replacement I'm pretty sure that an engine drop to sort out an oil leak from the top of the engine did. :D

When on the ramps having a free 'health check' during the compressor replacement the technician identified a misty weep. It wasn't dripping and without being on a ramp it wasn't visible.

I had 2 weeks/750+ miles in a nearly new Macan Diesel S and then a week/200 miles in a nearly new Cayenne whilst they sorted it.

Since the last update I've had a copy of the invoice for the work done. If I'd have been paying the bill I'd have needed to find nearly £3k.

Included in that was nearly £400 for a new power steering reservoir that was also seen to be leaking whilst they were working under the car.

When I bought the car these warranties were only available until the car was 10 years old. Needless to say I'm really pleased that this was extended to 15 and when my current one expires in 12 months time I'll definitely be renewing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back