Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Early Boxster - which one to go for on a limted budget?

coullstar

Sold my 996 C4s about 6 months ago to raise some funds for house improvements. They have yet to start but I did buy a cheaper car for a bit of fun (Corrado VR6) and as much as I love the Corrado Ive done everything with them and miss the flat 6. Soooo Im considering an early boxster to fill that viod and probably have about £5000k max to spend.

So, whats the best one to go for in terms of overall ownership including potential costs, engine issues? 3.2s before facelift or 2.7?

If it were me, I'd be looking for an early poverty spec 2.5 (non-air con with as little to go wrong as possible). Stories of engine issues on them are rare these days (the supposition being that all of the ones which were going to go already have, but they were always the one with fewest failure stories), cable throttle, no door airbags, lighter than any other post-air cooled pork, etc... More likely to be collectible in the long term too, and can be bought at almost break up value at the moment (reasonable sub £4k, runners sub 3 and basket cases occasionally sub 2 : which perhaps explains why used early Boxster parts aren't exactly rare or expensive on eBay).

Budget for some bills though - lots of tired ones out there.

I would second the nomination for an early 1997 2.5l. We just sold ours with 143,000 miles, full service history for £4250.
We had it for 6 years and covered almost 80,000 miles of daily use, including trips to Monte Carlo, Zermatt and Lisbon.
During our ownership we replaced 1x clutch/DMF, 1x full set of discs, assorted ball joints, disc pads etc and 1x plastic rear window and normal servicing..... and that was all!!!
Totally brilliant value and reliability. I still miss it and the new owner is a local guy who is driving it every day to work, so still going strong.

I had a poverty spec, no aircon, 2.5 back in 2001.

Hoot to drive , many happy miles... :puh:

The only thing I didn't like was the plastic window. IMO I would get later one with glass screen. Iirc the 2.7 courtesy one I had once was a better drive.

Seen some fantastic 3.2s around

I would say test drive all of them :grin:

I bought a new 2.5 in 1998 and I now own a 2.5 tip of the same vintage and both have been an absolute joy to own..

I wouldn't specifically look for a 2.5. I had one and whilst it's fun to drive I'd be looking at a 2.7 at least. Better throttle (electronic), slightly more power, better roof electronics.

If you end up with one that is right, with good history and looked af er etc then so be it, but I wouldn't exclude the 2.7. I would look at both.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272531060109

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302179357668

I think it comes down to what you want to spend but dont spend your budget, be prepared to spend a few quid on it to get it sweat once you've got it.

I bought our 2002 2.7 for £4400 with 67k which was cheapish and have spent a £2.5 grand on it, mainly service stuff and a replacement glass roof hood and its now pretty mint and fab to drive, hiding its years very well and goes great. | rooling road confirmed stock power and an underdrive mod (with new waterpump and belt) gave it a little more urge.

I also recently bought the 997.2 which is a beast in comparison but jumping back in the Boxster its still suprisingly good, very underated cars IMHO.

I may be putting my Boxster up for sale shortly. :thumb:

The early 986 is basically borescore proof (it has the superior early block coolant chamber design with upto 30% more relevant flow to cyl 6/bank 2 and in any case is lower power/torque than the comparable 996)

The 986 runs the dual row IMS up to MY2001 (although technically the changeover was mid-MY, so you will need the actual engine number to check for sure)

So I would choose a 3.2S within that range (just because I'd want an S!).

If I was in your position I'd go for an 's'...

In fact I was in your position and thats what I went for (see the thread in my sig).

You get so much more with an S. They are very reliable, are nice and quick, handle excellently and you get the 996 brakes and wheels.

I would go as far as to say that my 986 S is probably the best car I've ever had. Its as good if not better than the turbo in 95% of its jobs (more space, better handling, fully useable all the time, cheap) and I can leave it anywhere.

Mine's on 140+k miles. oil change a few weeks ago was as clean as a whistle!

Love it!

:thumb:

ragpicker said:
I would go as far as to say that my 986 S is probably the best car I've ever had. Its as good if not better than the turbo in 95% of its jobs (more space, better handling, fully useable all the time, cheap) and I can leave it anywhere.

They are a car you can easily get very attached to. After I got rid of my wallet-draining 993's I had a 3.2S Tip, bought for around £5000, then I spent around £2000 at the garage sorting various things like rads, suspension components and adding a bypass exhaust, which makes it one of the best sounding Porsches on the road.

Not a mint car by any means but lots of fun, lots of torque, leave it anywhere, top down in a heartbeat and the right one in worn condition can feel like your old pair of Stan Smith's every time you get into it.

I have an old Cayman 2.7 manual now, which I find slightly more fun, but when my son prises it out of my withering old man's hands, I'll be back in a cheap Boxster S Tip with a sports exhaust, and that will be that - Car days done and very happy at the end of it.

There's not a huge, huge amount in it between any of the options.

Broadly, any manual 986 (it will upset some who will disagree, but for me the Tip box ruins it as a driver's car) is a lovely little sports car with a gorgeous engine and a relaxed gait, surprising practicality and genuine transparency and feedback. So in some ways, it's more about finding a good example than picking which engine to go for. And you could make an argument for each.

The 2.5 has a cable throttle and is a tiny bit purer than all that followed. The 2.7 has the sweetest engine. The 3.2 is obviously the quickest.

Personally, I think I'd probably lean 3.2 because you really don't lose much versus the other engines but you do get more shove - and let's be honest, none of these cars are rocket ships.

Right now, I think a reasonable 3.2 for £5k is probably doable. It's low end of the scale, but there are a lot of over priced cars out there that take ages to shift and a canny private buyer who knows what he is looking for should be able to wangle himself into a decent 3.2S for close to figure.

Really fantastic, criminally under rated cars. Might just be the best all round sports car ever made, the 986. I often think I should get back into one. Enjoy.

Disco said:
If it were me, I'd be looking for an early poverty spec 2.5 (non-air con with as little to go wrong as possible). Stories of engine issues on them are rare these days (the supposition being that all of the ones which were going to go already have, but they were always the one with fewest failure stories), cable throttle, no door airbags, lighter than any other post-air cooled pork, etc... More likely to be collectible in the long term too, and can be bought at almost break up value at the moment (reasonable sub £4k, runners sub 3 and basket cases occasionally sub 2 : which perhaps explains why used early Boxster parts aren't exactly rare or expensive on eBay).

Budget for some bills though - lots of tired ones out there.

Hi,

I want to buy a "poverty 2.5" 986 and wonder how to spot one of those t i r e d ones?

If I may ask, would you change the oil right away and use some additives? Liqui Moly, Injection Cleaner, Enging Flush before the oil change, Ceratec?

Am on a budget. Do you ever go for an oil change to a chain's "lube something" shop and bring the OEM Porsche filter?

Am overseas and will fly over to get the car, then drive it home. It will be my first Porsche: please excuse silly questions.

Cheers,
Chris

0161 818 8763

hs0zfe said:
I want to buy a "poverty 2.5" 986 and wonder how to spot one of those t i r e d ones?

I'm not an expert but these cars are well made and a good one should drive like a new car. If it doesn't, then there could be a whole can of expensive worms waiting to empty your wallet.

If you're unsure/not experienced in buying a second-hand Porsche, then do yourself a favour and get an inspection for £350 which could literally save you thousands of quid.

And remember that the majority of add-on dealer 'Warranties' (even though the are Platinum) are an absolute con.

Okay folks could be on the look out soon. I think Im going to sell the Corrado and get a Boxster as I really miss having a Porsche / flat 6.

If anyone is selling soon please get in touch. Depends on what the Corrado sells for but probably budget around £5500.

No tips though, has to be manual.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back