Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange noise, think it could be clutch related, any ideas?

Boxstercol

Trainee
Wondering if anyone could offer any advice / suggestions or had any experience about a strange noise that has recently started on my 2005 987 3.2S Boxster....

Occasionally, on a cold start, there is a noise when the car reaches the bite point when lifting the clutch. If I press the clutch down it stops, only to start again when the clutch bite point is reached. The noise only occurs for a couple of seconds & is only present occasionally after the car has been stood for a few days.

The noise sounds like a creaking or bearing type sound, is at the clutch bite point & only occurs when the car moves slightly. 99.9% sure its not suspension related. When I press the clutch in it stops. Also it goes after say 30 seconds or so of idling / engine running.

Only happens after a cold start, I've not heard it with a warm start or after the car has been driven during the day. Clutch after feels normal, no slipping & car runs fine with no noticeable differences.

It almost seems like the clutch is damp & after running for a few seconds dries out. Car is kept outside & the only pattern to it is that it happens after it has been parked up for a few days & if weather is cold / damp. Car has done nearly 75k with no evidence of a clutch change.

I know that it can't be diagnosed by a description, however its an intermittent noise & I'm not confident that if I left it with a garage overnight it would make the noise.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

Thanks in advance.

A clutch can by noisy after sitting for a bit albeit this is usually down to corrosion forming on the face of the flywheel and usually takes a while to get to this stage.

If the box was off I'd be tempted to check the movement of the dual mass flywheel and see if it was worn and/or noisy, clutch thrust is another possibility.

Other option would be to check the clutch slave for operation/noise

Does it do it on first operation of the clutch with the engine off? If yes then slave/thrust arm are probable culprits.

:)

My clutch (before it packed in) used to screech now and again on bite point. Sounded awful and the only way to describe it was 'a screech'. Went on for around 18 months before the clutch needed doing and was sporadic with its frequency - hot or cold.

New clutch fitted, original flywheel still on and all ok now.

Just one other point to add to the above answers ..

The slave cyl push rod where it touches the release arm should be greased , that can also cause a noise .. more a creaking type of noise though as the pedal is depressed and released .. biteing point basically .

Screech noise then i would assosiate it with a release bearing fault .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back