Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C-Tek battery chargers

NickHappy

Ive had my 996 turbo on the ctek charger for about 2 years now, but at the moment there is not enough charge to get the engine cranked over. In the winter the car probably gets a run once a month and when not using I leave it plugged in. Is this a sign the battery needs replacing or is a ctek not enough to keep it charged??

I always just leave it on normal mode, there is an option for "AGM" or "RECON" mode, does anyone have experience of using these??

Cheers as always

NH

How old is your battery? It sounds like it is time for a new one to me I'm afraid.

MC

MisterCorn said:
How old is your battery? It sounds like it is time for a new one to me I'm afraid.

MC

Not sure, its not the original but I'm estimating it's about 5-6 yrs old. How long do they normally last for?

Any ideas on the where to source the best replacement?

NH

You can always try the recon setting before a new battery,you never know it might sort it.

I heard somewhere batterys benefit from re-conditioning once a year.

What size C-tek did you buy? An MXS5.0 will charge up to about 110 amp-hour batteries. I think a 3.8 only properly charges up to an 80 amp-hour battery if memory serves me well.

However I think Mister Corn is right, time for a new battery. Try the recon first to see if that helps though.

It's on the RECON mode at the moment, I'll report back :thumb:

NickHappy said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

Not sure, its not the original but I'm estimating it's about 5-6 yrs old. How long do they normally last for?

In my whole motoring life I don't think I've had a battery on any car last 5 years +.

THE CTEK would recharge it if it could be recharged. Time for a new one methinks.

The battery is dead, time for a new one.

Any tips on where to get the best/value for money is most welcome. I assume they are quite a straightforward swap?

Cheers
NH

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back