Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Becker Cascade Pro incoming, compatibility conundrum

Dammit

Paul Ricard
The car (1998 cab) currently has:
Porsche (Becker?) CR-21 cassette head unit
Nokia 6x40w amplifier
Porsche (Becker?) CDC-3 CD Multichanger

I've got a Becker Cascade Pro heading my way with remote microphone and GPS antenna - my understanding is that the GPS antenna goes under the alarm blinky LED in the centre of the dash-top and that the microphone goes behind the grill to the right of the clocks, so that's all fairly well understood.

What I don't know is whether this is as simple as "pull cr-21, unplug all cables, plug same cables into into Cascade, insert unit in dash", or whether this is going to take hours of frustrating head scratching and Googling to get everything to work together - has anyone done this and can help with advice?

My (largest!) assumption is that the Cascade will play well with the Nokia - can anyone comment on that?

The CD multi-changer seems a bit redundant given that the Becker has a CD drive but my intention was to leave it as it doesn't seem to do any harm and maintains (a degree of) originality. I'm intending on keeping the existing head-unit (in a box in the garage) in case the next owner wants to go back to stock.

Final thing (but answered in a different thread) I'll be moving the heated seat switches to the main-switch positions on either side of the stereo/air-con units as I'll be fitting the GT3 console-delete at the same time.

I did a similar replacement with a Becker Grand Prix. There was one small difference - the pin on the connector that turned the amp on was different. It all plugged in ok and seemed to work, but no sound came out.

I had to make a small jumper cable to connect the relevant pins together.

If you get the same problem, let me know and I'll dig out the details of exactly which two pins were affected.

Collected the Becker from the UPS point after work today, I'll have a preliminary crack at fitting it tomorrow, wondering about the microphone at the moment - specifically where to put it and how to get the cable to it neatly.

I'd like to use the OEM location but everyone says that it is rubbish from a sound quality perspective so I'm thinking about putting it on the A pillar - anyone care to weigh in on this?

Excuse the crappy picture- it was a little gloomy in the garage.

Mine sits pretty unobtrusively on top of the steering column. Everyone I've spoken to on the phone has been able to hear me...

Attachments

• img_1984_634.jpg
    img_1984_634.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 5,420
Great, thanks for that - I've got the same microphone and tbh can't see how it would be possible to attach it behind the grill whilst still maintaining the "point this end toward sound" aspect.

That said, I'd very much like to have no cable visible at all, anywhere.

I did read that- thanks for the link.

Last night I ordered the actual Porsche microphone that replaces the grill beside the clocks, will have to reterminate the cable but will try that first in order to look as OEM as possible, if is rubbish I'll put the directional mic on the steering column.

32271523210_c4f6164360_b.jpg

Ive not seen that before, 996 part :?:

Ok, it's all in and working - some takeaways from this:

- The Cascade Pro can't make use of the Porsche (Becker) CDC-3
- The Cascade Pro won't slot straight into the dash without some modification (I'll get more detail on this when I pick the car up), I was warned that the old radio might not fit back in/might not be able to be refitted.
- It took over six hours of work including the button relocate and GT3 centre console delete fitting
- I'm excited to get the car back

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back