Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

scottish or coastal cars

watch out for the California rust free car, its up there with a sub 100k mileage.

The return of Marty Wild said:
When I bought my car, Tom 911v said they no longer buy cars from Scotland.

....their loss

border reivers seem to have nice stock of many marques, pretty sure some of those are scots-mobiles originally.

regarding coastal areas, my dad was telling me at the time, that all of the fascia timbers all over the estate where he lived where shot in no time due to the salt air, what is it doing to cars?

The two main factors that I'd buy on are condition/ppi and history. As long as those two are bang on, you should buy with confidence, especially later models.

Palladium said:
border reivers seem to have nice stock of many marques, pretty sure some of those are scots-mobiles originally.

regarding coastal areas, my dad was telling me at the time, that all of the fascia timbers all over the estate where he lived where shot in no time due to the salt air, what is it doing to cars?

One thing I will admit, having lived on the coast most of my early years, is that anything left out in the winter does get hammered with salt spray. even up to a mile or so inland from where I lived. There was always a definite line where you would see where the snow would lay & where it would be melted from the salt.

Any time I visit my parents, It reminds me when I look at external lights & door fittings on the houses. Even stainless steel corrodes & the likes of PIR flood lights need replacing every few years.

Any car which isn't kept garaged over the winter will be worse off than inland ones.

I grew up in Scotland and also near the coast in a tiny village.

So.........er......that's it really.......condition is all :dont know:

Therefore as there is little else to add here's a nice picture of said tiny Scottish coastal village. With a Porsche. :thumb:

I live in the Peoples Republic of Jockistan and buy all of my cars from the south of England.

Year for year the corrosion is much, much less.

New997buyer said:
I grew up in Scotland and also near the coast in a tiny village.

So.........er......that's it really.......condition is all :dont know:

Therefore as there is little else to add here's a nice picture of said tiny Scottish coastal village.

The bird poo did more corrosion. :grin:

If you approach the matter from a chemistry perspective I think it's fair to assume cars that generally live in harsher climates, where salt is more prevalent, will for the most part have more corrosion.

From a biology stand point however I'd rather buy a car from a Scotsman as they're simply more honest, more intelligent, and thus likely to have driven the car better than any soft southern bufties.

:thumb:

Bonners1 said:
From a biology stand point however I'd rather buy a car from a Scotsman as they're simply more honest, more intelligent, and thus likely to have driven the car better than any soft southern bufties.

Fair point. Well made. Not a lot more to add really :dont know:

Bonners1 said:
If you approach the matter from a chemistry perspective I think it's fair to assume cars that generally live in harsher climates, where salt is more prevalent, will for the most part have more corrosion.

b

"Bufties" ... Now that one will go over a few heads ....

Terry

Homophobes.

Lived in Scotland for many years and have known a number of car dealers, some honest :eek: and some not so :oops:
One thing that always used to be approached with caution were cars from the West Coast of Scotland and especially the Islands, most were high milers due to where they resided but miraculously had low mileages when sold, strange but true!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back