Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BMW to Porsche 911 - how good is it?

Can't go wrong with a Carrera s 👍

I think you need to compare like with like. The 1M, M2, M3s are front engine rear wheel drive coupes/saloons, with a certain balance and weight. You sit fairly high and there's a fair bit of weight up high. The Carreras are sports cars, in that you sit low, there's a lower centre of gravity, as well as rear wheel drive, and the unique balance. They don't drift, but they do go down the road in a completely different way to a saloon, even one with a big engine... :grin:

askgeez said:
I drove an E46 CSL and was captivated within a few minutes. Though that may have been due to cup tyres and quite low temperatures :grin: but admit it felt special. Maybe more so than first time in 911.

A mate took me out in his 750bhp MRC tuned RS6 saloon. Surely one of fastest cars I have ever been in.... it was scarily fast , the torque was incredible. A genuine 200mph car. But it was a one trick pony.

The 911 just does everything so well . Yes there are many faster cars . The latest 4 series diesel may be quick , but it's just another mainstream car :dont know:

I've seen a few posts where 911 owners feel underwhelmed, but I do think that once you have taken it on a track , you really get where 50 years of evolution has been spent.

Perhaps pay the £350 and go to Porsche Experience Centre Silverstone before committing to a purchase :?:

Interestingly I have not been that impressed with my 997.2 turbo on track.
However on the road it's a weapon.

If you think a tunned RS6 is quick have you not been in a tunned 997 turbo?

As a road car I love my BMW M3 which is my daily driver.

Bikeracer1098 said:
askgeez said:
I drove an E46 CSL and was captivated within a few minutes. Though that may have been due to cup tyres and quite low temperatures :grin: but admit it felt special. Maybe more so than first time in 911.

A mate took me out in his 750bhp MRC tuned RS6 saloon. Surely one of fastest cars I have ever been in.... it was scarily fast , the torque was incredible. A genuine 200mph car. But it was a one trick pony.

The 911 just does everything so well . Yes there are many faster cars . The latest 4 series diesel may be quick , but it's just another mainstream car :dont know:

I've seen a few posts where 911 owners feel underwhelmed, but I do think that once you have taken it on a track , you really get where 50 years of evolution has been spent.

Perhaps pay the £350 and go to Porsche Experience Centre Silverstone before committing to a purchase :?:

Interestingly I have not been that impressed with my 997.2 turbo on track.
However on the road it's a weapon.

If you think a tunned RS6 is quick have you not been in a tunned 997 turbo?

As a road car I love my BMW M3 which is my daily driver.

After many "M" cars, probably had about 16 that I can remember, I love them.

Each one has a special quality. Im not sure jumping in a 911 is going to be life changing, as BWM make some of the best NA cars.

I have had a 911 Turbo by my side for the last 18 years or so. For me its the Icon, the great drive, a great Badge, well engineered all day everyday Supercar with dribble looks and depreciation free motoring to boot.

I have just bought a 750 bhp RS6 funny enough and you will need over 600 bhp in a Turbo to worry it !! Its probably one of the best laughs I've had in a car, the look on peoples faces when you destroy them. Its a great Sleeper, but I agree with an earlier comment, its a one trick Pony.

Ill just put this here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vI4CG7RhHs

:thumb:

I came from an E90 M3 to my 997.2, it's certainly not 3x the car and the more I think about it the more I realise if I knew what I know now last year I never would have swapped.

The 911 is trully great, but maybe I was expecting too much.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back