Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coffin arms

Anyone got any experience with CTE from ECP they are claiming that they are OEM quality??...or do they all say that :thumb:

OEM quality just means they are in specification laid down by Porsche.

That's very interesting work you have been doing with this project Mark. I have modified and will market my own upgraded LCA's in the future. From an interest point of view, when I produce my first batch, could I send you a sample to test to see how they fair? I currently only have 4 prototype arms but unfortunately they are all fitted to my car so it will be a little while before I can send one.
Kind regards
Richard
That is very interesting that you are modifying arms, have you also experienced the poor quality aftermarket arms. I have been measuring polyurethane shore hardness but more importantly deflection rates with interesting results. You are welcome to any help I could provide and I am currently working on a deflection rig to repeatedly and consistently take measurements.
I feel that rubber is still the best material for bushings but quality is paramount. I see another post relating to another fail in drive feel with aftermarket arms, this seems more apparent on the higher powered cars such as the turbo and S models. A word of warning, when working with the rear LCA centre bush be aware of the fork arm mounting to the chassis, the ball and socket is cased in plastic and is easily overloaded and cracks if the LCA centre bush is too stiff. I look forward to seeing what you have been working on and should need any input then just let me know. I have about another 500 miles to do before I strip down and re measure but as there is salt on the roads at the moment so this may take a little longer as my car is a bit of a fair weather queen.

Mark

wasz said:
Meyle had a batch of short arms, seems to be resolved.

TRW are the OE supplier, good luck finding them anymore.

So you'd feel confident if you bought a pair of Meyle arms now? That batch won't still be kicking around in stock? I ask as I've just bought a pair for the front and was going to fit them early next week :eek:

Having a full suspension overhaul next week and i'm reassured that the Indy uses genuine Porsche parts. In my view it is the only way to ensure the car handles the way Porsche intended.

Also, the original parts have lasted 17 years, so I can reasonably expect the replacements will last the same.

Why would you take a chance on anything else? I'n my view, suspension precision is so important.

Nordicmatter and ELA,

Are you both talking about filling the voids in the center bush with Polyurethane sealant such as Sikaflex 252 or similar?

If so, are you looking at as high a shore hardness as possible, or resistance to tearing or something else?

The reason for asking is I'm near to reassembly of my own rear suspension. LCA's and new diagonal arms etc. and thinking of a similar modification. LCA's are Meyle items for info.

Cheers James

Hi james
Do not fill the voids with any self cure mastic such as window sealant etc.
You can purchase polyurethane and mix your own and fill the voids, however it is not as simple as it sounds as poly has different compression rates to rubber and the temptation is to go as hard as possible or match the rubber rating. I will find a link to where and what you need to order and what weight and shore rating and pm you. You are correct in filling the voids which is only viable with the meyle arms as the rest of the components are up to the job.

Mark

This is the stuff that you can use to fill the voids
http://www.mbfg.co.uk/polyurethane-rubbers/pt-flex-70-rubber.html
Very easy to mix and pour and extremely strong. This is also available in a higher 85 shore rating but does exhibit hi NVH under acceration and would be at the limits of the fork arm ball joints. You will need to get come clear plastic cups such as you find at water machines etc. Measurements are by weight not volume and will require minimum mix volumes. Pm your number when you have the stuf and I will give you mix ratios but you will need the clear plastic cups. 500grams will do about 30 arms at least. I am testing filled voids on my 997s at the moment and the results are night and day over standard meyle arms. I will be removing them and then load the centre bush on measured press once I have made a new jig. I tried powerflex and they perform perfectly to the point they destroyed my home made Woden jig but I found them too harsh for road use.

Mark

nordicmatter said:
The meyle arms are not Porsche arms and the quality is some what different from the original TRW Porsche OE supplier. There is light at the end of the tunnel regarding theses considerably cheaper arms.
The ball joint is good quality and the inner bush is ok with a shore hardness of around 74-77. I measured a genuine porsche bush at a consistent 80 shore. The middle bush is very different and I purchased 5 meyle arms new and the stiffness is two thirds that of an original item at around 55- 66 shore and the Porsche is again a very consistent 80. There is a very cheap fix which I will post over the next week or so. This improves these arms better than the original ones and the drive is vastly improved. I am sure these arms are great for a boxster but on the turbo 996 and the very early 997S (same rear arms as 996) they cause the dreaded weave under hard acceration. According to google research Porsche had a fix of turning the centre bush 90 degrees to basically change the load points on the bush to act like a solid bush as per later cars. I have not confirmed this with a dealer but google 997 wiggle. These arms are also 6mm shorter than original but this is of no concearn as this can be dialled out when tracked. The other non branded eBay arms were terrible and during basic testing the centre bush split at less than 130kg. I had some old genuine arms that took 400 kg + at 12 years old. Hope this helps as it is a little project I have been working on over the past few months.

Mark

Interesting post, thanks and subscribed.

Many thanks Mark. That's really interesting.

I am definitely up for a bit of experimentation in this area. I was thinking about Powerflex, but a.) Didn't want to remove a new bush from a new arm in order to fit it and b.) Wasn't confident that it was what I was looking for.
Not that this mod is reversible either of course.

Is there much difference in NVH between standard, modified and Powerflex do you think?

Are there benefits to doing both front and back arms, or just back only?

I'll order the stuff and PM you.

Cheers James

Hi james

NVH levels are pretty much unchanged with 70 shore but powerflex is harsh but does feel very direct on the road and do feel like they give the fork arms a hard time. I have an early 997 so I do not have the same front arms as a 996 but I would without doubt do the front arms as the meyle arms are below Porsche spec and can only improve things. I would love to know what the exact loadings put on the bush are but at least 110 kg is needed to close the void on the brand new Porsche bushing and around 70kg on the Meyle.

Mark

Ah OK. So I presume Porsche designed the voids in as a shock absorber which will take some strain out of the loads on the fork arm spherical ball joint and subframe mounting. In the process there will be slight changes in wheel geometry.

I can see though, why you wouldn't want to go overboard with the stiffness of the "filler", just help the rubber bush achieve a higher sideways loading.

Is that correct, or am I missing the point?

Cheers James

Sounds like he is trying to stiffen the softer meyle bush back up to OE Porsche specs by filling the voids.

Lots and lots and lots of people running Meyle arms front and back with no problems whatsoever (apart from getting the rear geo right with that old batch of short arms).

Obviously they are not exactly the same as OE so a compromise. Stiffening them a tad takes them back towards OE.

Meyle arms are also heavier than OE arms. Porsche made them from alloy to make them lighter.....

What is the price difference with the meyle and Oe?
As I'm needing mine replaced soon as was going to go for meyle as I had in my head they were an upgrade
As that's always been my philosophy if something needs replacing is there something which is better

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back