Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Age of "new" tyres

CFo

Monza
I'd always assumed that if you bought new tyres, they'd be, like, err... "new". But I read in a thread that someone bought some from Black Circles that turned out to be 2 years since manufacture, so I decided to ask before ordering. I've copied their response below.

I must admit I'm gobsmacked to think I might be buying rubber that's been knocking around for 5 years. And on that note, can anyone recommend a decent tyre place in North / Northwest London / Herts. where I could actually look at the rubber before fitment?

"Tyres are considered to be 'new" and fit for retail for a period of up to 5 years from the date of production. Although no definitive information has been offered by the major manufacturers, the 5 year period is accepted as the industry standard, being based on the German BRV. When in use, it is recommended that tyres replaced when they are 7 - 10 years old, (6 years in the case of caravans or trailers), as tyres are less prone to deterioration on the vehicle than they are in storage."

Could you not clarify with the tyre dealer when placing your order the age of the tyre?

That was what I was trying to do with Black Circles, and that was their exact response. I told them I wanted Michelin PS4s (which probably haven't been available for 5 years yet?)

Sounds like a standard company message doesn't it. Black Circles, not sure how much stock they actually hold, if any. I thought they basically sourced tyres from various outlets and then supplied to the customer. That would put some sense into the their response that you copied.
Costco, in your catchment (J5 M1) used to deal solely in Michelin, maybe they still do? They also used to hold stock so would know the age of the tyres on their shelves.

:?:

CFo said:
That was what I was trying to do with Black Circles, and that was their exact response. I told them I wanted Michelin PS4s (which probably haven't been available for 5 years yet?)

Tyreleader put on the year of manufacture if they're not new.

Example: https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-305-30-19-0-Y/

Says next to tyre photo DOT 2012

Had an interesting chat with a Bridgestone Technical Engineer about cracking in tyres - main cause of tyre degradation is ultra violet light so you fit the tyres on your car and then they begin to age if the tyres are stored in a cool dry environment without sunlight before you buy the ageing process is delayed somewhat.

Del.

^^^
I'd agree with that. Tyres sat in a warehouse won't deteriorate anywhere near as badly as ones on a car sat outside.

PS4s are a new tyre anyway so it's a moot point. But my experience from numerous tyre suppliers (Blackcircles, Tyreleader, Kwik Fit) is that they've all been only a few months old at most. Their response just sounds like a standard disclaimer in case you ordered a random brand in a weird size which they held in stock for ages.

Porsche specifiy no more then 6 years old .. i report any tyre as needing changing at that point then its upto the customer to decide.

If we get sent tyres as new when replaceing and they are 2 years old then we send them back .. but to be fair we do order a lot of tyres so the supplyer is more willing to do what we ask.

It all depends on how quick you get through tyres .. if you do them in 3 years then 3 year old is fine .. cant see how 5 year old tyres would be classed as new though .

Just IMHO .

It's a big issue out here as tyres tend to catastrophically fail at 3 years old. You need to check the date of manufacture (the 4 digit code) on the tyre. The better shops guarantee a build date within the last year ie xx16.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back