Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coffin arms

cbr6dc

Easy to replace? I've had some thoughts and suggestions on it.

I need to do the rear shocks as well which I won't be able to tackle yet but assuming the bolts aren't seized look quite an easy job?

Yes, easy if the bolts aren't seized. More of a pain if they are.

MC

I've heard they are adjustable but if I'm getting the car set up anyway and they are roughly in the right place they won't knacker it on the way there?

Good to hear it's easy as it's a £300 job I could do without.

I've been told the Meyle ones are basically Porsche OEM but with Porsche ground off but I've also been told I need to fit them in pairs because they are different to Porsche?

Which is it?

The meyle arms are not Porsche arms and the quality is some what different from the original TRW Porsche OE supplier. There is light at the end of the tunnel regarding theses considerably cheaper arms.
The ball joint is good quality and the inner bush is ok with a shore hardness of around 74-77. I measured a genuine porsche bush at a consistent 80 shore. The middle bush is very different and I purchased 5 meyle arms new and the stiffness is two thirds that of an original item at around 55- 66 shore and the Porsche is again a very consistent 80. There is a very cheap fix which I will post over the next week or so. This improves these arms better than the original ones and the drive is vastly improved. I am sure these arms are great for a boxster but on the turbo 996 and the very early 997S (same rear arms as 996) they cause the dreaded weave under hard acceration. According to google research Porsche had a fix of turning the centre bush 90 degrees to basically change the load points on the bush to act like a solid bush as per later cars. I have not confirmed this with a dealer but google 997 wiggle. These arms are also 6mm shorter than original but this is of no concearn as this can be dialled out when tracked. The other non branded eBay arms were terrible and during basic testing the centre bush split at less than 130kg. I had some old genuine arms that took 400 kg + at 12 years old. Hope this helps as it is a little project I have been working on over the past few months.

Mark

I replaced with Meyle on my 996t - regretted it quickly and replaced with original parts.

Not worth cutting corners, just my opinion (but based on experience)

What were your reasons for regretting it?

DJP997 said:
I replaced with Meyle on my 996t - regretted it quickly and replaced with original parts.

Fitted on the front / back, or both?

jerzybondov said:
DJP997 said:

Fitted on the front / back, or both?

Fitted all round. They were different measurements than original.

Required a Geo

Never felt the same. Replaced with original and difference was noticeable

So nothing wrong with them - just a slight manufacturing difference in length.

This has thrown a spanner into the works...I was just about to order four Meyle coffin arms and forks for my C4S... :?:

Any other opinions or good manufacturers other than Meyle and OEM?

:thumb:

You've no guarantee replacing with OEM won't need your geo doing. Manufacturing tolerance from one extreme to the other will easily throw camber, toe, etc. out.

lenny said:
Any other opinions or good manufacturers other than Meyle and OEM?

:thumb:

EPS are another manufacturer I've heard highly recommended. They supply control arms with polyurethane bushes; not sure if their coffin arms are upgraded or just OEM spec, but I dimly recall it was Ken at 9e who recommended them to me.

Based on the info above..,

Shorter LC arms mean your giving up track width and reducing negative camber the opposite of what most try and achieve.

Softer bushes are going to have more slop.

All of the above will have a negative effect on your cars handling.

nordicmatter said:
The meyle arms are not Porsche arms and the quality is some what different from the original TRW Porsche OE supplier. There is light at the end of the tunnel regarding theses considerably cheaper arms.
The ball joint is good quality and the inner bush is ok with a shore hardness of around 74-77. I measured a genuine porsche bush at a consistent 80 shore. The middle bush is very different and I purchased 5 meyle arms new and the stiffness is two thirds that of an original item at around 55- 66 shore and the Porsche is again a very consistent 80. There is a very cheap fix which I will post over the next week or so. This improves these arms better than the original ones and the drive is vastly improved. I am sure these arms are great for a boxster but on the turbo 996 and the very early 997S (same rear arms as 996) they cause the dreaded weave under hard acceration. According to google research Porsche had a fix of turning the centre bush 90 degrees to basically change the load points on the bush to act like a solid bush as per later cars. I have not confirmed this with a dealer but google 997 wiggle. These arms are also 6mm shorter than original but this is of no concearn as this can be dialled out when tracked. The other non branded eBay arms were terrible and during basic testing the centre bush split at less than 130kg. I had some old genuine arms that took 400 kg + at 12 years old. Hope this helps as it is a little project I have been working on over the past few months.

Mark

That's very interesting work you have been doing with this project Mark. I have modified and will market my own upgraded LCA's in the future. From an interest point of view, when I produce my first batch, could I send you a sample to test to see how they fair? I currently only have 4 prototype arms but unfortunately they are all fitted to my car so it will be a little while before I can send one.
Kind regards
Richard

MisterCorn said:
Yes, easy if the bolts aren't seized. More of a pain if they are.

MC

And they will be seized on the rear if theres no evidence of a change. So buy some new eccentric bolts in anticipation. Fronts usually not seized.

Meyle had a batch of short arms, seems to be resolved.

TRW are the OE supplier, good luck finding them anymore.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back