Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 Targa 4S Lead Times

Forrester said:
Totally agree about no rear wiper. Mine came with one and I've never used it in over a year. Rear camera would have been very useful though. I sometimes have to ask my passenger to help guide me into some of the pathological "pedestrian friendly" car parks around here, where it's impossible to see the raised kerb as I back in. The exhausts are pretty low and it's easy to scrape them on any raised paving.

Fortunately, I've never done that ... yet.

Camera is excellent... my only recommendation to Porsche engineers is to add either a little wash jet or tiny wiper to the rear camera... ;) if it had that it would be perfection.

6appeal said:
Camera is excellent... my only recommendation to Porsche engineers is to add either a little wash jet or tiny wiper to the rear camera... ;) if it had that it would be perfection.

They haven't managed to add a little wash jet to the rear wiper* so I don't think that's likely to happen. :grin:

*actually I do recall it being a very expensive option at one time.

Just had a call from the OPC in Guildford and it looks like Porsche have confirmed a build slot for mid March with a delivery in early April.

Suddenly the boys in Guildford are my best buddies!

They must of had a cancellation as I got an email on the 14th of this month saying that they haven't got visibility of a slot in April. :) :mrgreen: :)

Lasrblueexige said:
Just had a call from the OPC in Guildford and it looks like Porsche have confirmed a build slot for mid March with a delivery in early April.

Suddenly the boys in Guildford are my best buddies!

They must of had a cancellation as I got an email on the 14th of this month saying that they haven't got visibility of a slot in April. :) :mrgreen: :)
Awesome news :thumbs:

Soooo, I'm now thinking my heated rear windscreen may be faulty as it most certainly does not "burn" anything off quickly. It takes at least 30 mins to do an effective de-mist, and is useless on external frost. Visit to OPC required I think.

100% on the rear camera, best option ever.

On a positive note, I had totally forgotten that my steering wheel was heated until I found the "secret" button by accident yesterday.

Yes that does sound odd, it clears the ice no prob.

Heated steering wheel is awesome, never thought I'd say it but it's more effective than heated seats IMO.

Rear camera is essential as far as I'm concerned.

Must say as my first 911, the performance and certainty in the winter weather is great.

My only slight criticism is that you have to manually turn on the heated wing mirrors. First manufacturer where I've had that. Mirrors are often obscured with water far more than any other car I've had. May benefit from the glass shroud being slightly deeper, or the heater temperature controlled instead?

Has final spec been decided on for the car purchase then now build slot sorted?

6appeal said:
My only slight criticism is that you have to manually turn on the heated wing mirrors.

Huh :?: Never knew that - I really should RTFM :oops:

Edit. Manual says this:

"Exterior mirror heating is activated automatically when the heated rear window is switched on while the engine is running."

Warburton62 said:
6appeal said:
My only slight criticism is that you have to manually turn on the heated wing mirrors.

Huh :?: Never knew that - I really should RTFM :oops:

Edit. Manual says this:

"Exterior mirror heating is activated automatically when the heated rear window is switched on while the engine is running."

Indeed... "activated automatically" is a bit of a play on words when you have to manually switch it on lol.

Things are looking even better. Just heard the build slot has been scheduled for late Feb with delivery planned for late March.

If it were delivered in April the new VED rates would come into play. That would have meant an extra £310 per year for the next five years in addition to the standard rate of £140. Porsche have just saved me £1010 less any increases the government apply during the 5 year period....happy days!!

Excellent!

what did you decide on spec?

Lasrblueexige said:
Things are looking even better. Just heard the build slot has been scheduled for late Feb with delivery planned for late March.

If it were delivered in April the new VED rates would come into play. That would have meant an extra £310 per year for the next five years in addition to the standard rate of £140. Porsche have just saved me £1010 less any increases the government apply during the 5 year period....happy days!!

Great news!

How did the driving experience go? How was the manual gearbox? I like the idea of manual, but the 981 has too high gearing on the manual box - are the 991 ratios OK?

Gorsh said:
Great news!

How did the driving experience go? How was the manual gearbox? I like the idea of manual, but the 981 has too high gearing on the manual box - are the 991 ratios OK?

The driving experience was just brilliant I really enjoyed the day. It gave me the opportunity to do stuff I would never want to learn or do on the open road in any car let alone a 100 grand Porsche. It's not a track day as the two circuits have been designed to imitate country roads and of course you also have a variety of skid pan areas as well.

Most of my fast driving has been done in a hugely modified Lotus Exige and my experience has been mainly everything the Alps has to offer. Some 45k miles over the last 15 years if I were to think about it.. So the two circuits that Porsche had created were very much up my street.

I had read a lot of bad press about the gearbox and was really quite concerned that I was making a huge mistake not going for the PDK. so the Driving experience was really understanding what the manual was like rather than getting comfortable with the PDK as a manual is really where my heart is. In addition having driven a 997.1 C4S on a manual for the past five years I was interested in the difference with the gearbox to the 991.2. Although I see the box on the 997 as ok I wouldn't classify it as exceptional. The gear throw is long and a bit loose compared to the short throw I have on the Exige.

Well I am not sure what all the fuss is about and why folk don't like the manual on the 991. Considering I haven't driven one before I didn't have a misplaced gear all day. The throw was short and light with a good feeling of engagement. I never had any doubt which gear I was in. Admittedly I never got beyond 4th but I never got lost in the box.

Towards the end of the session I was really getting into my stride and focussing on trail braking, drifting the rear end whilst exiting corners ( something that is not hugely recommend on an Exige on high mountain passes)and other such new skills. The gearbox was the furthest from my mind which made it good in my eyes. I simply did not have a problem in anything I wanted it to do and just didn't have to think about it. People complain about the gate on 7th well I can't think when I last did a block change from 6th to a lower gear. I always prefer to heal and toe down through each gear. I am driving a sports car for heavens sake not a VW Polo.

The clutch, well that is considerably lighter than the 997 C4S. Which I know is heavy but has never really caused me an issue. The pedals seem to be slightly better positioned than on the 997.1 as the heal and toeing was not the angled affair it is on the 997 but more of an in line angling of the foot as it is on the Exige. My preferred technique. The car I drove wasn't fitted with Chrono so auto blip functionality wasn't there. With Chrono fitted my instructor was certain that is was switched off in normal mode but was unsure if it was something you could dial out on Individual mode. Time will tell.

So in summary I am now not concerned that I have made a mistake. The PDK is an outstanding gearbox, I accept that, but IMHO it slightly detracts from the raw engagement with the car something which I personally realish in the driving experience.

Finally and I am conscious that I have rambled on, the Exige is the only car that I have ever felt that I strap it on rather sitting in it. The 991.2 is the second such car. I never felt that in the 997.

6appeal said:
Excellent!

what did you decide on spec?

Same as page 2 but with the reversing camera. I opted not for the rear wipe due the look and the fact the car is garaged every night.

Roll on March....

Thanks for the great write up on your driving experience. I went there for my BGTS experience and I also enjoyed it - learned a lot about the car and also my ability! Managed the trail brake and power out of the corners though - great increase in exit speed!

If you got into 4th the ratios can't be that high so the manual sounds good.

Gorsh said:
Thanks for the great write up on your driving experience. I went there for my BGTS experience and I also enjoyed it - learned a lot about the car and also my ability! Managed the trail brake and power out of the corners though - great increase in exit speed!

If you got into 4th the ratios can't be that high so the manual sounds good.

Thank you....

I think the car will pull over 100 mph in 3rd and with all that torque you can drive it virtually as an automatic if you are so inclined. I have always been a bit sensitive in abusing an engine unnecessarily. With all that linear torque you can use the gears without having to absolutely red line the engine in every gear and still have a massively spirited drive.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back