Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Shoddy grille

AndyS

Albert Park
Guys - my spare engine lid has been sat in the garage for over 12 months now gathering dust - and I'm now thinking of replacing the current 'winged' lid with this one, but the grille just looks crap. I don't really want to colour code it.....

What's the best way to clean up the black grille on the engine lid?

I know that new from OPC they are only about £80, but they are a bit of a faff to change. There must be a cleaning solution that is good for this job.....

With a soft brush just use a general 'all purpose cleaner' that you can buy from your supermarket to get it clean then apply a silica trim restorer which will restore the darkness and protect it for a good few years.

Lots of choice but something like Gtecniq C4, CQuartz Dlux or Gyeon Q2 Trim will make it look like new again.

I went down this route several times and it never lasted all that long ....... finally I decided to have mine painted basalt black ....... and I think it looks good ......

DSCN1716_zpsyikerbhy.jpg

DSCN1714_zpsneuahuua.jpg

I was going to suggest same as Andy, have it painted black.

There was a thread in here a while back where people had tried all sorts but nothing really lasts long term from what I recall.

I'll see if I can find the thread

I didn't want to the colour coded route especially with Aventura ...... lol ...... but if you stay with black I think it works well ....... :) ....... and the basalt black matches the centre of my Cup 2 wheels ...... "which is nice" ..... lol

It was done professionally ...... the grill taken out ...... I would not even consider undertaking the job myself ....... but if you are up to that sort of spraying standard you certainly would not want to be masking it up ......

I'd agree... if they are only £80 might as well replace if you are taking it off. However, a bit of elbow grease and it will clean up nicely. No real need to spend a fortune on expensive cleaners. Take your time cleaning it then use a trim restorer - which others might tell you doesn't work... (try it, what's the worst that can happen - you have to wash your hands!). But do read the instructions.... not that keeping it out of strong sunlight while you work will be very difficult this time of year!

Personally I think colour coding looks better than original, even in aventura!

0VyTKsK.jpg

Tobesetc said:
I'd agree... if they are only £80 might as well replace if you are taking it off. However, a bit of elbow grease and it will clean up nicely. No real need to spend a fortune on expensive cleaners. Take your time cleaning it then use a trim restorer - which others might tell you doesn't work... (try it, what's the worst that can happen - you have to wash your hands!). But do read the instructions.... not that keeping it out of strong sunlight while you work will be very difficult this time of year!

......yes it works Tobes ....... but it doesn't last .....well not if ones car lives in the open .......

madalaa said:
.....well not if ones car lives in the open .......

In the open! What sort of talk is that for the Illuminati to be hearing? You'll have them dessicating their sandals in shock!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartynT
Back