Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Checking the oil guage when your car space isn't level...

Out of curiosity, why does the gen2 only allow a reading when hot... is this Porsche saying that a check when hot is more accurate?

I tend to say 11 liters out of habbit .. a lot of them are around that amount but you will never get it out unless a full engine strip .. its the design of the engine .. it doesn,t all drain down .

The point i was trying to make to the OP was that theres an awfull lot of oil in these cars unlike his last one so a segment or 2 down is a very small percentage of the total amount .

Oil at operateing temp is because oil expands with temperature .. some types of oil more than others .

I check all cars when hot 993 , 996 etc etc ..

You also have oil degredation sensors now so the car knows when it needs an oil change .

30 mins is fine for a drain .. i can tell you on a gen2 or 991 if i drain it for 5 mins i get 6 out .. if i drain it for 30 mins i get about 7.5 out .. if i drain it over night i get about 9 liters out .

A short drain time means a lot of oil is left in the engine .

There are techniques for knowing when you have drained out enough on these but i wont bore you further :)

If the engine is bone dry you will get 11L into it, just for an oil change you will only put 9L into it. What Demort is saying is that you have 11L sloshing around in there so don't worry too much if you are down a litre but personally I like to keep mine brimmed as the more oil you have the cooler/viscous it will be.

kas750 said:
I wonder if people get charged for 11 litres at service time?

I've never been charged for more than 9 at my OPC or Indy and the one time I took my own 10 litres (2x5 litre 'cans') one of them was given back with about 1.25 litres left in it.

infrasilver said:
If the engine is bone dry you will get 11L into it, just for an oil change you will only put 9L into it. What Demort is saying is that you have 11L sloshing around in there so don't worry too much if you are down a litre but personally I like to keep mine brimmed as the more oil you have the cooler/viscous it will be.

Yes, I get that but people need to distinguish between 911 and Cayster.

If you put 9 litres into a Cayster for an oil change I can promise you it will be over filled. I've done multiple changes on my car myself. Do a quickie and it'll take 7.5 litres, maybe a bit less to brim it. Even leaving it overnight to drain, 9 litres would be a substantial overfill.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back