Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Idiots guide to replacing spoiler wall

highway said:
I should start a countdown thread showing images of tenuously linked items till I attempt the job. But I won't. Instead I'll moan that the video (linked earlier) is a highlights reel,at best. I needed the full hand holding, talk me off the roof top experience.

As such, this is at yet unattempted.

Hey fella

I'm not sure why they are being so unkind to you on this. It's a really easy job and should take you no more than 15 minutes.

If your old spoiler curtain has split along one of the seams, like they usually do, then it's serving no useful purpose at the moment.

In which case why dont you start by removing the old one. Even if you don't install the new one at the same time there is nothing to be lost by taking the old one off which will give you a pretty clear idea what you are working with.

Even if you struggle to fit the new one, you can always give up and take it somebody else to do it.

But I expect when you take the old one off your realise how easy this can be.

As you take the old one off just pay close attention to the three points where the curtain clicks into place.

The most important thing I learned about this job is to ignore the instructions on the P car website which tell you to unbolt spoiler from the mechanism as well as greasing up the new spoiler curtain and the rod that it clicks onto. Just ignore all of that, it's not required, and it makes the job twice as long and five times as messy in my experience.

In fact, at the bottom of the P-car instructions somebody has helpfully added a short narrative on how to do it, so I've copied and pasted it below.....

Yesterday i changed the rear spoiler wall on my 1997 993 Targa. I started
to follow the instructions on the diy page, when a realized it was way to
complicated and time consuming.

In short, do not remove the grill at all. Just simply raise the spoiler
all the way up. You can actually just take of the old spoiler wall quite
simply by prying it of with your hands. If it's still in one piece, just
snap it into two pieces just to make it easier to remove. Remove the upper
part first, you can use a flat screwdriver in one corner to get an
opening, then simply drag it off.

The same with the bottom part, just be carefully with the rubber channel
on the bottom part so you don't damage it.

Now you can mount the new spoiler wall. First you slide the ruberchannel
on the new part. Start with the upper mount, it can be a bit tricky, but
it will eventually snap in place. Just start in one corner and press it in
place one inch at the time. The lower part is easier, just be sure you get
the upper channel on the back in place before push the lower channel into
place. Then you simply press the rubber channel back into its place and
you are done.

It took me 5 minutes in total, and I didn't need any tools to do it.

A993LAD said:
I'm not sure why they are being so unkind to you on this.
:floor:

I'm not sure why you're being so kind to him on this?

Any news yet :dont know:

..... I am up for a ticket in the grand stand for this event ...... can I get a TIPEC discount ........ :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back