Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT4.3 mod and restoration diary

did you steal those bolt head covers off my caravan - they look suspiciously similar?

"Fitted" the Satechi SoundFly AUX today (plays SD card and other source mp3s to head unit via FM transmitter).

RDS normally shows track names (I just took photo of the unit name being received)

This was instead of Denison or MoBridge effort and expense.

£30.99 on Amazon.

Works fine in garage, I will need more time to set up the "clean" frequencies when the car is next out and about.

Also, slightly annoyingly, I will have to remember to turn off the unit in the cubby when I park up, as the cubby 12v is not ignition switched (odd how you can never win with whatever you need with either live or switched!)

Attachments

• img_7493_741.jpg
    img_7493_741.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 2,825
  • img_7492_561.jpg
    img_7492_561.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 2,825
New key shells arrived today

Nice surprise was the little Porsche shields (I thought I'd have to recycle from old shells), I guess they don't put in advert to avoid Porsche lawyers.

Some bits you do need to recycle/supply are:

Battery CR2032 (I took opportunity to fit new ones, which now work from about 60 ft)
Battery terminals (carefully pull the brass contacts out with small pliers)
Old key blade (although new blanks are supplied) - pull back on small spring loaded locking stub to release/insert
PCB and rubber gasket (new gasket is supplied, but I decided to retain as much OEM)
Immobiliser "pill" (I found snipping out the pill housing with mini side-cutters and "nibbling" away at any remaining housing works well, without endangering the pill body)

I hot-glued the pills into the new shells (this was because I wanted the adhesive to set immediately and without "fuming" - superglue could have coated all the internals with white sublimation, including the battery contacts, thus possibly disabling the fob)

The new units actually feel higher quality than the flimsy/brittle feeling originals. They are heavier too, with a nice chromed key ring hoop.

Attachments

• img_7514_333.jpg
    img_7514_333.jpg
    686.2 KB · Views: 2,759
  • img_7513_759.jpg
    img_7513_759.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 2,759
  • img_7512_131.jpg
    img_7512_131.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 2,759
  • img_7511_373.jpg
    img_7511_373.jpg
    663.8 KB · Views: 2,759
  • img_7510_759.jpg
    img_7510_759.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 2,759
  • img_7509_180.jpg
    img_7509_180.jpg
    622.3 KB · Views: 2,759
  • img_7515_423.jpg
    img_7515_423.jpg
    739.2 KB · Views: 2,754
Ref: Satechi frequencies

I have been using 88.1 FM with no issues today (and the map below seems to indicate I should be okay for most of the UK)

You can check other frequencies here:

https://ukfree.tv/radio/frequencies/88100000

Attachments

• radio_881fm_982.png
    radio_881fm_982.png
    206.9 KB · Views: 5,148
GT4 said:
"Fitted" the Satechi SoundFly AUX today (plays SD card and other source mp3s to head unit via FM transmitter).

RDS normally shows track names (I just took photo of the unit name being received)

This was instead of Denison or MoBridge effort and expense.

£30.99 on Amazon.

Works fine in garage, I will need more time to set up the "clean" frequencies when the car is next out and about.

Also, slightly annoyingly, I will have to remember to turn off the unit in the cubby when I park up, as the cubby 12v is not ignition switched (odd how you can never win with whatever you need with either live or switched!)

Does the SD card slot into the Satechi unit then transmits via FM?

Yes, totally self contained (see piccie on previous page for my "install")

Or below marketing photo with SD card circled

If you can get a ignition switched 12v socket, it will start and stop automatically with the ignition (remembering the last track)

I am planning on disassembling the PCM/centre console to fit new Temp/Fan rocker switches, so I may run a switched line to the cubby at the same time (I can always use the cigarette lighter socket in the ashtray if I ever need a permanent live, charging phone in parked car etc).

The Satechi unit can accept USB too, the only downside is either USB or SD max size is 32GB and/or 1,999 tracks.

At my mp3 encoding, 1,999 tracks is only 16GB

I guess if I want more tracks, I can just bring along another SD card and swap every 140 hours of listening!

You can navigate folders and or play by "album" (assuming you split down like that), I have just left on shuffle/random all.

Satechi info here:
http://www.satechi.net/index.php/sm...3-players-ipod-zune-sansa-with-remote-control

Attachments

• flush_sd_card_186.jpg
    flush_sd_card_186.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 5,136
GT4 said:
Yes, totally self contained (see piccie on previous page for my "install")

Or below marketing photo with SD card circled

If you can get a ignition switched 12v socket, it will start and stop automatically with the ignition (remembering the last track)

I am planning on disassembling the PCM/centre console to fit new Temp/Fan rocker switches, so I may run a switched line to the cubby at the same time (I can always use the cigarette lighter socket in the ashtray if I ever need a permanent live, charging phone in parked car etc).

The Satechi unit can accept USB too, the only downside is either USB or SD max size is 32GB and/or 1,999 tracks.

At my mp3 encoding, 1,999 tracks is only 16GB

I guess if I want more tracks, I can just bring along another SD card and swap every 140 hours of listening!

You can navigate folders and or play by "album" (assuming you split down like that), I have just left on shuffle/random all.

Satechi info here:
http://www.satechi.net/index.php/sm...3-players-ipod-zune-sansa-with-remote-control

That's brilliant and perfect for what I need as most of my music for the car is stored on iPod and memory sticks .

I was really surprised to find the 3 power sockets all permanent live which is damn frustrating.
I have my console out at the moment so a good time to convert one to a switched live.

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply, I'll be ordering one of these nifty little units :thumb:

GT4 said:

thats a smart looking gadget, i have an older version also in the cubby hole, are you sure the 12v supply doesn't switch off after a set time as mine seems to switch itself off ?

seeforez said:
GT4 said:

thats a smart looking gadget, i have an older version also in the cubby hole, are you sure the 12v supply doesn't switch off after a set time as mine seems to switch itself off ?

That's worth exploring further.

Possibly.

But then I'd still have the (marginal) problem of the car listening to music without me for a few tracks :?

I shall sneak up on it today and check (although I might be really sneaky and leave window down and/or cubby open as some times just opening the door can re-activate power)

That would be the best compromise if it did work (or perhaps I mean didn't work, after a short delay?)

:thumb: seeforez

PS - I suspect you may well be right and I was surprised how little my phone had charged when I left it in car, and of course the 12v was re-activated once I put key in etc, so too late to check if it had actually stopped charging earlier.

PPS - I wonder if the locking state is important (ie if car is locked or not to start countdown timer). I don't normally lock mine :dont know:

We await the results of the field test :grin:

GT4 said:
KJD said:
We await the results of the garage test :grin:

EFA

Think I'll check my ipod dock. Thought that was permanant 12v but never give it a thought it may switch after 'locking up'.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back