Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Next generation Cayman GT4, RS on the cards

jpsh120

Sao Paulo
The current Porsche Cayman GT4 is something many of us never thought would happen. It's a lightweight mid-engine car with a naturally aspirated engine from the 911 and a six-speed stick. When it launched, it was faster (and more fun) than many of its more expensive siblings. Now, according to inside sources, Porsche is preparing to build an even faster GT4.

A source recently spoke to Autocar about the development of a future GT4, telling the publication that Porsche plans to drop a 4.0-litre flat-six engine into the car and call it the GT4 RS. A report from Auto Express corroborates the GT4 RS rumour. That might seem excessive for the lightweight Cayman, but according to Autocar's source, there's good reasoning behind it.

The seemingly knowledgeable source claims Porsche discovered that the current 718 Cayman S can lap the Nürburgring as fast as the current GT4 when fitted with that car's tires. Therefore, the only way to make the GT4 faster than its lesser, turbo-four-cylinder-powered siblings without forced induction is to drop in a huge naturally aspirated engine.

It's unclear whether this rumoured 4.0-litre engine would be the same unit used in the current GT3 RS and 911 R, or the new engine taken from the RSR race car"”and apparently destined for the next-generation 911 GT3.

Autocar speculates that, whichever engine ends up in the next GT4, it will likely make at least 430 horsepower"”less than the 500-plus expected from the upcoming GT3, but a sizable improvement over the current GT4's 385 horses.

If it happens, the GT4RS could turn out to be the sweet spot of the whole Porsche range. :D

That does smell of speculation though. I still wouldn't be surprised for the next one to be turbocharged personally...

Surely a 4L GT4 will be pushing a GT3 very hard even if 50hp short.

The only way I can see this happening is if Porsche throws all it's might behind the mid engine concept now the RSR has gone that way.

As a GT4 owner it is interesting but personally I am not bothered if a turbo 718 is faster on a track, if its a NA engine I want one :D

This may cause a huge debate but I'm saying the next 911 is going to be mid engined following the RSR..............

I don't think that will happen, to much history and opens up to much competition with other brands, not forgetting losing the rear seats which make the car such a good option for some .

i think it's coming along with hybrid drive to the front wheels
Just saying :D

Maybe Budgie ????

Interesting thought but still think the next GT4 will be a turbo .

Budgiec4s said:
This may cause a huge debate but I'm saying the next 911 is going to be mid engined following the RSR..............

With rear seat practicality being the USP of the 911 I cannot see any way for that ever to happen - that is the point at which it would no longer be a 911. More likely is the regular speculation of a new mid engined platform positioned above the 911 (a story which pops up roughly every other year).

Has there been any 718 Spyder speculation as well as the 718 GT4 ?

I'm keen to try and get my name down for one of these; even though by even writing this I'm probably already too late or haven't spent enough at my local OPC recently to qualify...

I'd happily put 10 bags down now on a 718 GT4 but the word on the street is it's a least 4yrs off if at all :dont know:

I think you are probably about right Zingari going on what I was told when I bought mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back