Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

From what year are the Cayman engines considered robust ?

Re: From what year are the Cayman engines considered robust

MisterCorn said:
997man said:
As per the title - from what year do you not need to worry about IMS/RMS/scored bores ?

Chris

It is posts like this which are helping to push down the value of these cars. You don't NEED to worry about it on any of them, but a lot of people do.

MC

I disagree. You very much do need to worry about the gen 1 3.4.

You don't need to worry about the gen 1 2.7.

I had a 2008 Cayman 2.7 for 4 years and 45k miles and the only costs were 2 service, 1 set of pads for the front and couple of sets of tyres.

I was not even aware of Ims or bore scoring until I joined this forum about 18 months ago researching my 911.

If I was buying again I would have pre-purchase inspection done for peace of mind, but likey nothing to worry about.

Re: From what year are the Cayman engines considered robust

pothole said:
MisterCorn said:
997man said:
As per the title - from what year do you not need to worry about IMS/RMS/scored bores ?

Chris

It is posts like this which are helping to push down the value of these cars. You don't NEED to worry about it on any of them, but a lot of people do.

MC

I disagree. You very much do need to worry about the gen 1 3.4.

You don't need to worry about the gen 1 2.7.

:thumb:

Does this hold for Boxsters? Am about to buy at 2010 MY (late 09 reg'd) 2.9 "gen 2". I was hoping this would be a safe bet engine wise (has done 31k miles). any thoughts?

Yes.

Same engines (they just detune the Boxster DME to flatter the Cayman)

GT4 said:
Yes.

Same engines (they just detune the Boxster DME to flatter the Cayman)

Thanks, GT4. So can DME be retuned to Cayman spec?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back