Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS Bearing Failure

Current concensus is have it checked for play when you have the clutch changed, remove the outer seal whilst in there, and hope for the best!

I believe us Brits have been treated differently to our friends across the pond who took Porsche to court and won. Not sure why affected UK owners are left with a large bill and little or no recourse outside of owning expensive warranties?

This has got me seriously thinking about this now.
Anyone know how many labour hours for replacing the smaller IMS bearing in-situ? And what do you replace with as i see there are lots of possible options unless I am getting mixed up? Seems like you can change for a Porsche larger bearing, a LN engineering ceramic bearing or even an oil fed one!?

Any advice please for the smaller bearing ??

listening to how alex yates went about it, I would say that a visit to sid, for a clutch and a bearing at 1 hour labour and 50 quid has got to be the solution. I would if I still had mine,

I am starting to miss the 996, don't get me wrong, I love aircooled, but I may go back one day. Prices are still a bargain.

Palladium said:
listening to how alex yates went about it, I would say that a visit to sid, for a clutch and a bearing at 1 hour labour and 50 quid has got to be the solution. I would if I still had mine,

I am starting to miss the 996, don't get me wrong, I love aircooled, but I may go back one day. Prices are still a bargain.
Everyone to sids then, please form an orderly que :lol:

From what I have read, the ceramic bearing is worse, and replacing a bearing in situ, is very risky and shouldn't really be done unless you have no choice.

If I had to do it, it would be replaced with an oil fed kit. I seems the only one guaranteed to remain lubricated.

Search youtube for the tests done on a bearing soaked in an oil bath & run up to speed. The centrifugal force throws out all the oil in the first second, proving that the idea of removing the seals from a replacement is not the way to go without some kind of forced lubrication.

Clanky said:
If I had to do it, it would be replaced with an oil fed kit. I seems the only one guaranteed to remain lubricated.

Search youtube for the tests done on a bearing soaked in an oil bath & run up to speed. The centrifugal force throws out all the oil in the first second, proving that the idea of removing the seals from a replacement is not the way to go without some kind of forced lubrication.

What nonsense

+1!

Absolute nonsense

I would go with Hartech's recommended solution as those guys know their stuff. Worth checking their website before taking the plunge.

alex yates said:
Palladium said:
its outrageous that a recall wasn't put out on this problem, I cant believe the brand has remained undamaged through it all.

The failure figures would be too low to warrant a recall. That plus the fact that replacing ALL the bearings would bankrupt Porsche, it's far easier and cheaper for them to dish new engines out to those that failed under warranty.

The thing is, a soft recall to supply the £24 (sealess) IMSB whenever they cracked the gearbox/engine interface would have worked perfectly, and NOT bankrupted them.

The clutch needs changing anywhere from 30-50k miles and Porsche used to pop RMS seals like they were sweets.

There is no substitute: more like there was no excuse.

:x

alex yates said:
+1!

Absolute nonsense

Not so sure it is nonsense, all bearings need some form of constant lubrication but in my opinion it is overly complicated when just removing the seal does essentially the same job, plus no more moving parts required!

Gutted for the OP!

I'm fully intending to replace mine:

GT4 on January 9th 2017 at 7:42pm said:
Hopefully the IMSB seals have been shredded by now, but if not, assuming I get there first, I'll fit a naked OEM IMSB when the clutch is done.

DucatiRob said:
alex yates said:
+1!

Absolute nonsense

Not so sure it is nonsense, all bearings need some form of constant lubrication but in my opinion it is overly complicated when just removing the seal does essentially the same job, plus no more moving parts required!

Gutted for the OP!

The inside of a car engine is the equivalent of standing in a washing machine full of oil. The spray & vapour gets everywhere and the faster it spins - the more lubrication of all parts.

Poker2009 said:
From what I have read, the ceramic bearing is worse, and replacing a bearing in situ, is very risky and shouldn't really be done unless you have no choice.

My plan was to fit the EPS Roller bearing when my clutch was due to be changed. I don't like the idea of the LN Ceramic braring. A friend had the LN fitted and it started to fail after 5k miles. He found swarf in the oil filter first so had the Bearing checked as a precaution and found it had begun to destroy itself. The ceramic ball bearings are harder than the steel bearing race and if the bearing was not perfectly aligned when fitted or the car is left standing for long periods, (and the bearing dries up), it can quickly wear out.

As my engine will now be rebuilt by Hartech I'll get them to fit the later IMS with the larger bearing.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back