Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ordering New LHD car from UK Porsche dealer

Tite003

Hi guys,

Do you know if is possible to order a brand new LHD car from a UK Porsche dealer? I know some other car brands allow this, but not sure about Porsche.

I don`t know how this works but would you not be better buying a LH drive car from a LH car dealer on the continent rather than pay UK prices which would no doubt have to be a special order.

Del.

Hi Delanor,

I know some brands offer this options at no extra cost, not sure about Porsche though. I would like to buy it in the UK because the car will be used here for the first years, but I would like to take it with me when I move back to Spain in 3-4 years.

Tite003 said:
Hi guys,

Do you know if is possible to order a brand new LHD car from a UK Porsche dealer? I know some other car brands allow this, but not sure about Porsche.

Suggest you ring up Reading HQ and take it from there
Actually in Calcot Tel 0118 930 3911

:thumb:

Thanks 997,

I called some dealers. It seems it is something most of them would do, but most are mentioning around 12 months waiting list! :eek:

Sounds like a great opportunity to do the whole Stuttgart thing. Weekend trip to Stuttgart, play/test/view and order at Porsche Centre Stuttgart and do the museum etc. Go back to do the factory collect thing. I wonder if that OPC has any slot allocation issues :dont know:

No idea of cost differences between ordering here or there or if there is any registration issues but I can't imagine it's too much of an obstacle.

Thanks Monkeynutz, the problem is that as much as I would like to collect it in Stuttgart, ordering outside of the UK is out of the question. The prices in the European countries are much higher, plus I would need to pay taxes when importing the car. We are talking around a 20-30% increase in price!

After talking to many dealers, it seems that there are big delays in 718 models orders. Porsche moving one of their factories might be the main reason:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=231&t=1617928&i=220

Tite003 said:
Thanks Monkeynutz, the problem is that as much as I would like to collect it in Stuttgart, ordering outside of the UK is out of the question. The prices in the European countries are much higher, plus I would need to pay taxes when importing the car. We are talking around a 20-30% increase in price!

Much as I am loathe to allow politics into a thread about such a sensible question - with the time frame that you mention, the UK exit from the EU means that it is uncertain that when you relocate back that you will not be exposed to import taxes to take a UK sourced car to Spain.

We can of course only speculate as the answer to this question is probably up to 2 years away from being known, but you might want to price the value of some risk into your thoughts.

Back to the original question though - the last time I recall hearing this question was a few years ago, but back then ordering a UK car to a non-UK spec did come with a hefty surcharge (to discourage continental buyers from ordering their cars from UK dealers in the way that some people in the UK were sourcing cars via the Netherlands in the early to mid 2000s when they were cheaper via that route). In case anybody wondered why the price disparities happen it is because Porsche has for many years extensively hedged against currency movements the neutralise the effect of currency fluctuations on costs.

Anyway - as was already suggested : phoning Reading to find out the current viability and costs is the way to go. :thumb:

Disco said:
Tite003 said:

Much as I am loathe to allow politics into a thread about such a sensible question - with the time frame that you mention, the UK exit from the EU means that it is uncertain that when you relocate back that you will not be exposed to import taxes to take a UK sourced car to Spain.

We can of course only speculate as the answer to this question is probably up to 2 years away from being known, but you might want to price the value of some risk into your thoughts.

Back to the original question though - the last time I recall hearing this question was a few years ago, but back then ordering a UK car to a non-UK spec did come with a hefty surcharge (to discourage continental buyers from ordering their cars from UK dealers in the way that some people in the UK were sourcing cars via the Netherlands in the early to mid 2000s when they were cheaper via that route). In case anybody wondered why the price disparities happen it is because Porsche has for many years extensively hedged against currency movements the neutralise the effect of currency fluctuations on costs.

Anyway - as was already suggested : phoning Reading to find out the current viability and costs is the way to go. :thumb:

Quite often if you have owned and run a car for a number of years in the UK and then move abroad and take the car with you there is no duty to pay. An Aussie bloke I worked with did it because cars are so expensive there. Used to be the same for Ireland too as I remember one of my Irish cousins taking his BMW back home after owning it here for a couple of years.

As you say clearly no idea what the situation will be in three or four years but those rules are generally there to stop people buying and selling cars cross border for profit.

Tite003 said:

After talking to many dealers, it seems that there are big delays in 718 models orders. Porsche moving one of their factories might be the main reason:

That's shame, I am sure there is a clever way around it but I am not clever enough to know :p Hope you get the answer you need as that 718 is a cracking car :)

As Cheib indicates, at least in Spain, as long as I can proof that I have lived in the UK for a determined number of years and that I´m moving with my own car, there will be no duties or taxes to pay. This rule applies to any foreign country within or outside the EU so I don´t think Brexit will affect. On the other hand, I will not be able to legally sell the car until one year has passed since I register it in Spain, but that is not my intention anyway.

Tite003 said:
As Cheib indicates, at least in Spain, as long as I can proof that I have lived in the UK for a determined number of years and that I´m moving with my own car, there will be no duties or taxes to pay. This rule applies to any foreign country within or outside the EU so I don´t think Brexit will affect. On the other hand, I will not be able to legally sell the car until one year has passed since I register it in Spain, but that is not my intention anyway.

Spain is quite different - the cost of transferring any foreign car onto a Spanish registration is astronomical, whether you have owned it for a number of years or not is immaterial.
I was quoted €9k for my 2002 996 Turbo and over €11k for a Gallardo. This is just for the number plate - not import duties.

X4AJRN said:
Tite003 said:

Spain is quite different - the cost of transferring any foreign car onto a Spanish registration is astronomical, whether you have owned it for a number of years or not is immaterial.
I was quoted €9k for my 2002 996 Turbo and over €11k for a Gallardo. This is just for the number plate - not import duties.

Having imported several cars myself, the number plate rarely exceeds 1500 euro. Are you sure those amounts were not duty/taxes? It would make sense given the list price of those cars.

Tite003 said:

If you pay VAT (sales tax) in any EU country, there is nothing to pay when crossing the border to any other EU country.

In any case, you can arrange Factory collection for any country car (ie C16, C27 etc etc) from any country's OPC.

So find the cheapest quote across the EU for the same LHD spec and ask for (cost optional) Factory collection from any of them.

If that is what you want.

Else just ask for it to be delivered to your preferred country (OPC).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back