Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Resetting the odometer in a rebuild

Alam

Chaps

I know, i know, this must have been discussed in the past to death... Did a quick search before posting without much luck hence the post.

What constitutes a valid reasons to reset the odometer ona 964 rebuild?
I know Singer does it and some people on the forum have done so on rebuilds where the odometer has bust and needs replacing.

My 964 rebuild will pretty much require everything from new pistons and cylinders to cams and cranks. In addition perhaps a switch to a 3.8 from a 3.6.

Does this constitute resetting the odo?
Whats the thought here peeps?

K

I have never been asked to do this on a 964 or 993 rebuild. As long as it is documented then no real reason to do so.

I have reset rev ranges on 996 onwards for full rebuild but that does not apply.

The only time I have reset to zero was for complete car - I am taking about engine, suspension,brakes, the works. And that was at customer request.

One other point, it can cause problems on the mileage register with HPI checks in the future - not a major problem but has to be explained.

Hope that helps.

Does my nut in (unless you are actually changing identity on V5, and even then I'd like to know the mileage the Beetle did before it became a Covin)

I would think that resetting the Odometer is a complete NoNo to be honest, it is regarding the whole car, not just the engine. I can see why Singer do it, afterall, theirs are a completely new car once completed :grin:

I would have also said its a no no.

As a guide I had a complete new engine, turbos etc.... fitted on my RR under warranty after it seized at 15k miles, the odemeter was not touched as the "rest of the car" had done that mileage :wink:

That's why you usually see xxxx miles since rebuild on a sale advert as the mileage of "the car" is still from new.

Looks as though from May 2018 it's going to be illegal anyway thanks to what may be the only sensible law to ever have come out of Brussels.

AVI_8 said:
Looks as though from May 2018 it's going to be illegal anyway thanks to what may be the only sensible law to ever have come out of Brussels.

You mean the one where its illegal to rebuild an engine :hand:

jonttt said:
AVI_8 said:

You mean the one where its illegal to rebuild an engine :hand:

That wouldn't surprise me, at least we'll be free from the meddling soon.
Hopefully before we all have to replace our engines with an electric motor conversion!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back