Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does anyone still track their GT3?

freddie44 said:
I seem to have "over tracked" myself. So cant be blamed for not trying!!
Think we're just missing you Roro.. when is your next one?

Rich.. surprised you sold a GT3 clubbie for a GT4 but whatever you enjoy. I guess one feels quite a bit shinier out the box which is always nice :thumb:

Nothing booked yet, I'm hopeful I'll be out on track sometime soon-ish, just lots of distractions at present...

Rich, judging by their Tweets today I see JZM have already sold your car

Yup - sold in less than a day, at a fairly uppy £120k....

Hope it's been bought to be used, not stored

That looks lovely in blue :thumb:

apollokre1d said:
IMG_5842_zpsn1czsmwb.jpg

Understood Rich; sounds very sensible and hopefully its going to get enjoyed now!!

Mine is stuck on 49,800 miles from parking up after the Ring trip last July.. hoping to get myself physically back on track (sorry) and catch Mr Nick :D (i can dream)

Richyd said:
Yup - sold in less than a day, at a fairly uppy £120k....

Hope it's been bought to be used, not stored

Unlikely..

i reckon there's more to go on these things..im not, quite, that convinced to stick my own cash in at todays rates yet but they just don't hang around at all. 997's seem to move the quickest. Its that sweet spot of old enough tech modern enough looks.

Maybe..... but there's hope yet. Apparently JZM are fitting fixed buckets (mine had folding carbon buckets) and carbon brakes are replacing the steelers. So, sounds like it will be in track this summer......

Given the flat line in values over the last 12 months, I couldn't justify keeping it and not driving it..... time will tell eh, maybe I sold at the wrong time. But I had it for 2 years, drove 6k miles in it, hooned around Europe and got a few trackdays in, and sold for £7.5k more than I paid for it. Free motoring.

Maybe the manual 991.2 GT3 will effect values..... :?:

I reckon PDK GT3 (991.1) values will be hit, but I wouldn't expect a big hit on older GT3's. If anything over time I'd expect the GT4 to be hit hardest partly because there are so many of them and people may try and get back into a GT3. Although I am sure that the new GT3 will be very expensive compared to the GT4, which will limit any immediate impact on that model

Personally, I recon it's all madness except for the really old cars and the pure limited build ones.

The GT4 is a great £80 - 90k car, but never a £110k car. The 997 GT3's are also great cars at £80-110, or thereabouts. I agree the 991 will continue to drop, some are on their 3rd engine, so this won't help as no-one would want to own one without a warranty, whereas Metzger has proven almost bullet proof.

So, yup GT4's will continue to slide, although the supply remains limited as many of the flipped ones have gone into storage and the ones I know that are being driven, incl mine, are keepers. Nothing out there comes close to driver interaction and fun.

TBH the value of my (now ex) 997.2 GT3 took the fun out of driving it...

Do you mean the present value or the potential future value (took the fun out of driving it)?

I presume the GT4 isn't that far off the value of the GT3, but you don't have a problem with driving that car? (Could be wrong, I don't follow GT4 prices but thought they were pretty much 100k cars)*

*Just looked on AT and they're around 85k which isn't too bad but still seems quite pricey to buy to drive and forget the mileage. I expect prices of these will have quite a way to fall before they bottom out.... wouldn't it have made more sense to sell the GT4 and keep the GT3 if you were worried about values :?:

My guess is even adding 5/6k a year wouldn't harm GT3 values much, assuming we're not talking collectors items under 5k miles on the clock... or would it ...

... Could analyse this forever, they're cars, just drive them :grin: As a wise old man once said, the trick is not to think of your car as a bunch of £50 notes sitting in the garage...

Roro said:
As a wise old man once said, the trick is not to think of your car as a bunch of £50 notes sitting in the garage...

I recognise that quote! Less of the 'old' if you don't mind young man :wack:

The problem with the used car market in the UK is that it's very mileage sensitive. There are various milesones that, once reached, result in a step drop in value. If it was at least linear it might be easier to accept...

NXI20 said:
Roro said:
As a wise old man once said, the trick is not to think of your car as a bunch of £50 notes sitting in the garage...

I recognise that quote! Less of the 'old' if you don't mind young man :wack:

The problem with the used car market in the UK is that it's very mileage sensitive. There are various milesones that, once reached, result in a step drop in value. If it was at least linear it might be easier to accept...

:eek:ld:

I was just sayin'! :Happy:

True, I've heard about the 50k mileage mark with Porsche (Evo magazine a few months back), I guess that's where people that want to 'buy to drive' should probably be looking to pick one up

It's crazy - but I could pick up a 40k miles GT3 for £40k less than I sold mine.

This is the way forward if you ask me. Then I can just get in and drive it!

Re GT4, yep, they will drop, but trade recon will settle around £80k. And no big step off in value with miles...just a steady decline.

However, after 2 GT3's I'm enjoying getting to know a mid-engined format!

Well I picked the GT4 up from OPC Colchester Saturday, and all the first
impressions are hugely positive. What an absolute hoot to drive, as its a total,
absolute hooligans car, and therefore it suits me down to the ground !. So nice
to get into something which has the right balance, feel and go and it so, very
much sounds like a baby GT3 when on full chat. I'll get some pics sorted out
once the weather improves !. 8)

Nick - I find my GT4 is soooo much louder than the 997 GT3, don't know how it compares to a 991 though.

You're right, a GT4 feels like a hooligans car. It feels like an old fashioned hot-rod to me - such a naughty car I'm surprised they built them, almost un-Porsche-like in the fun way it drives.

At the end of the day, I do most of my driving on the roads, incl Euro hoons, and the GT4 is more fun on the road, and more accessable on the road than my GT3. I do blat around tracks too, but I don't time myself, so it's about fun and smiles rather than outright lap-times....here, the GT4 delivers.

Walter recons drive a GT4 in the mountains, and the GT3 on track - I couldn't agree more.

Hopefully you will have the same experience as me....it's a riot of a car!

Richyd said:
Nick - I find my GT4 is soooo much louder than the 997 GT3, don't know how it compares to a 991 though.

Funny that you should say that as I have heard anecdotally of people going from the GT3 to the GT4 and suddenly getting flagged for noise at places where they didn't used to have problems. It would be interesting to know if anyone had numbers and any more background on that?

Colin - That is my experience. I was black flagged at Brands and Goodwood in the GT4 - blagged it both times to get back on track and just lifted a little at the noise metres thereafter. Same tracks in both my GT3's were fine.

Spa is my new favorite track as a result! :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back